GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

DarkX's Edition 30 DSG | Build Thread & Parts Review

DarkX

Your Boss :P
Car(s)
GTI ED30 DSG
So last month and after having owned the car for 3 years and 3 months I decided it was finally time to awaken the beast hidden inside. I went with a REVO remap (settings 9.6.9) after all the good words I heard and I was anything but disappointed, it felt like a completely different car. Also changed DV to Revision D. No other mods at the time, but still with only software the car was touching 310 to 315 bhp and 420 nm of torque. Long story short I made a thread back then, click here to read it.

Few days ago and after lots of web pages and phone calls I purchased a phenomenal intake. It's by Maxogen, called ITG. This piece of work is really pure art and the power it delivers across the powerband is incredible. With the REVO software, the intake itself adds an outstanding 20 bhp and 3 nm over the software, in a total of 330 bhp and 450 nm of torque. Because of its huge size (both it's massive oiled foam filter and the intake) it's capable to handle more than 500 bhp, which means should I ever decide to go BT I'm keeping the intake.

If you're wondering why there is no heat shield with it, after consulting the mechanic I was advised to keep it shieldless because that way the filter breathes a lot easier and the air isn't that hot either because it's far from the engine. I haven't logged IAT yet but at least I can see huge difference against my OEM intake when I touch it with my hand after some aggressive driving. So unless I find a way to have both a heat shield and at the same time without compromising air supply (like installing a piece of piping from the side grill that's under the filter and running before-after logs), I'm keeping it as it is. I really see no problems with the shieldless setup though, even after repeatitive pulls, except the heatsoak I get because there is no FMIC yet. But with that much power I'm not in a big rush to install either, plus I don't beat on it a lot. Heatsoaked or not it's still pretty damn strong. I do need a FMIC though that's a fact.

On another note the sound it makes is simply astonishing, click here to watch a video I've made for the sound. Soon I'll make an acceleration video and add it.

Other than that, only few days after the REVO software I installed LED type lights on the license plate that have a white-bluish colour. They come with built-in resistors for code-free operation. What I love about them is the way they light the floor under the bumper and create its shadow.

Costs:

REVO = 950 euro
DV Rev D = 0 euro (that was a present by the REVO dealer)
LED plate lights ~ 35 euro
Maxogen ITG intake = 600 euro

Subtotal: a little over 1500 euro. Not bad for a 100 bhp increase over stock.

Last edited:

koyhis

AAAA!
waitttttttt 1.76bar? :O

so the itg is worth the money? im not sure yet which one to go with, twintake or itg

DarkX

Car(s)
GTI ED30 DSG
waitttttttt 1.76bar? :O

so the itg is worth the money? im not sure yet which one to go with, twintake or itg
I run very aggressive settings and I could attempt a little more timing advance too but there's no point, summer is around the corner and I have no fmic. The ITG is worth every penny, in a K04 car it delivers outstanding power, not sure how that compares in K03 but given its ability to feed massive amounts of air into the turbo I suppose it's still one of the best choices you can make. No regrets here. :thumbsup:

wizzo

Ready to race!
But from what i heard it doesnt fit the left hand drive cars because of the brake master cylinder or something :)??

DarkX

Car(s)
GTI ED30 DSG
But from what i heard it doesnt fit the left hand drive cars because of the brake master cylinder or something :)??
My steering wheel is on the left side.

DarkX

Car(s)
GTI ED30 DSG
Typo: in my initial post 2nd paragraph, where it says 3 nm make that 30.

DarkX

Car(s)
GTI ED30 DSG
Soon I'll make an acceleration video and add it.
So here it is. Everything I wanted to say is commented in the video, nothing further to add. Phone camera.

I recommend you watch on YouTube

Embedded version:

DarkX

Car(s)
GTI ED30 DSG
So yesterday I installed my new tires, Michelin Pilot Sport Cup same dimensions 225/40/ZR18, 88Y. These tires are intended for track use but they are street legal and while you can drive them on the wet you have to be very cautious. For those unfamiliar look them up tirerack has a nice description of them.

Currently in the break in process so I can't write a review yet, however they are much quieter than I expected, very little noise I'd say comfort wise 7.5/10 I'm very pleased. Also love their pattern. Can't wait to finish breaking in and get rid of ESP which, unfortunately, with my old tires had been my only friend for digs.

Here's 2 pics:

Track tires with street legal cover. A punk in a suit.

Swiper

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2009 VW GLI
Okay so the first inlet of this intake is huge.... BUT you can only suck in as much air as your smallest tubing. So you can have 6 in tubing at the filter but if it tapers down to 3inches you might as well have 3 inches all the way through........... simple pneumatics.

DarkX

Car(s)
GTI ED30 DSG
That intake was designed under the scope of making more gr/sec of air than the best in the market. How much do they make? We will make more.. so Andy Jackson, product manager of ITG and voila Maxogen was created.

Now that specific intake/filter combo was tested by REVO themselves on my car and it performed better than the next 2-3 best in the market providing the highest amount of air, which proved ITG's claims. I don't have data with me right now and I don't remember what the number was but I'm going there September for a few things and I'm gonna log gr/sec to put it up here. That's all I can say for now. :thumbsup:

DarkX

Car(s)
GTI ED30 DSG
Thanks I fell in love with them already, love in first sight? Rubber can be addictive, all sorts of it haha. Like I said before, these are track tires within street legal cover, it's a punk in a suit. :biggrin:

I can't wait to see your car when you install the blueflame exhaust, looking forward to see your stage 2! :wub: