GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Camshaft timing chain and tensioner failure

mkvingti

Car(s)
2008 GTI
I'm going to make another post with pictures of the damage when the engine is all back together and (hopefully) running.

I have a 2008 MkV GTI with the FSI engine

Does anyone have any experience with failures occurring with the cam timing? I'm looking for some input from those who have been in similar situations. I have a quick story just to give some background details.

I was just driving normally, was going about 15 mph and the engine just dies on me out of no where, didnt hear a noise or anything. Naturally I tried to start it after I got to the side of the road, didnt start. Plug in my handy OBD 2 scanner and find this one code, P0343 -- Camshaft Position Sensor “A” Circuit High Input (bank 1 or Single Sensor). I got the car towed to a place where I could work on it and left it there overnight as I got a new cam position sensor. Put in the new sensor the next day and tried to start it but it still wouldn't turn over. It kind of sounded like half the motor was moving when I cranked it.

Opened the oil cap while someone cranked it for me and the intake cam wasnt moving. Removed the valve cover and saw the cams weren't in time (if that's the right terminology). Removed the HPFP, cam follower is in great condition. Removed the cam timing cover and found a broken chain and broken tensioner. I also removed the timing belt cover and the timing belt was still intact (which means exhaust cam and crank were still in time?)

Since it is an interference engine, I would assume bent valves and possibly more damage but here is why I'm looking for some input from you guys. I used a boroscope to look inside each cylinder and I found no markings or half moons on the pistons, normally there are markings when the piston comes in contact with the valves?

Either way I did a cylinder leak down test and none of the cylinders leaked more than 10%. Typically compression is fine with the results I got from the leak down test I performed. Is it possible that I just got lucky and didnt bend any valves? What are the chances of that even happening? Should I be playing the lottery or something? I dont know, like I said I'm looking for input from you guys since I barely have any experience. I already ordered all the parts I need to get it back together, all OEM may I add, I'm just waiting on them to come in so i can put it back together and see how it runs along with a compression test.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Cjpolokid

Ready to race!
I'm going to make another post with pictures of the damage when the engine is all back together and (hopefully) running.

I have a 2008 MkV GTI with the FSI engine

Does anyone have any experience with failures occurring with the cam timing? I'm looking for some input from those who have been in similar situations. I have a quick story just to give some background details.

I was just driving normally, was going about 15 mph and the engine just dies on me out of no where, didnt hear a noise or anything. Naturally I tried to start it after I got to the side of the road, didnt start. Plug in my handy OBD 2 scanner and find this one code, P0343 -- Camshaft Position Sensor “A” Circuit High Input (bank 1 or Single Sensor). I got the car towed to a place where I could work on it and left it there overnight as I got a new cam position sensor. Put in the new sensor the next day and tried to start it but it still wouldn't turn over. It kind of sounded like half the motor was moving when I cranked it.

Opened the oil cap while someone cranked it for me and the intake cam wasnt moving. Removed the valve cover and saw the cams weren't in time (if that's the right terminology). Removed the HPFP, cam follower is in great condition. Removed the cam timing cover and found a broken chain and broken tensioner. I also removed the timing belt cover and the timing belt was still intact (which means exhaust cam and crank were still in time?)

Since it is an interference engine, I would assume bent valves and possibly more damage but here is why I'm looking for some input from you guys. I used a boroscope to look inside each cylinder and I found no markings or half moons on the pistons, normally there are markings when the piston comes in contact with the valves?

Either way I did a cylinder leak down test and none of the cylinders leaked more than 10%. Typically compression is fine with the results I got from the leak down test I performed. Is it possible that I just got lucky and didnt bend any valves? What are the chances of that even happening? Should I be playing the lottery or something? I dont know, like I said I'm looking for input from you guys since I barely have any experience. I already ordered all the parts I need to get it back together, all OEM may I add, I'm just waiting on them to come in so i can put it back together and see how it runs along with a compression test.

If you have compression then the valves are okay champ

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mkvingti

Car(s)
2008 GTI
That's what I'm hoping for, it gave me a lot of hope when it did fine on the leakdown test, I just didnt believe it with how common it is to have extensive damage

You had the same issue and your cam snapped??