GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Project ultimate daily. Build #2

Das Gespenst

Go Kart Champion
As I'm sure you know, coilovers are typically for serious track cars and race cars. Though some are ok for street. On my 2000 Porsche 911 I had PSSR9 coilovers and they were great for the street and track.

Which H&R kit do you have? I think for our cheap cars (meaning it's hard to justify a $2000 coil over kit on a $5 or $6,000 dollar car) a plain old strut/shock and spring combo is fine for a street and occasional track day car. I've got the H&R sports and Bilstein B8's on my car and they are fine. If I have 4 people in the car I occasionally bottom out the rear suspsension, but otherwise no complaints. Haven't tracked them yet but will start doing that as soon as the tracks here open.

I would disagree on coilovers only being for track cars. Certain setups sure, but certainly not all coilovers. I just put the H&R street performance coilovers on, which in theory and from what I've read these are much more street oriented (like the FKs). I'm worries about ride hight on the H&R's honestly. Have a road trip out to Colorado (I live in Chicago) and have a full set of wheels, my wife, my daughter, all our luggage and me. Have a bad feeling the rears are gunna rub hard.

dmfracer

Ready to race!
I didn't say they were only for track cars. I said TYPICALLY they are used on track cars - good coil overs with stiff and short springs and adjustable damping are typically the realm of track cars or race cars. Some are more suited to dual purpose.

Which H&R street performance kit? There are two - the non-adjustable damper version which lists lowering range of: Average lowering 2006-2007 (1.2-2.5"F 1.3-2.4"R) 2008- (0.6-1.9"F 0.7-1.8"R)

Or the adjustable damping version which lists lowering range of: Height adjustable from 1.0 - 2.7” on average

Finally a road trip to Colorado from Illinois in a lowered GTI with 3 people and luggage sounds to me like a rental minivan. :)

I would disagree on coilovers only being for track cars. Certain setups sure, but certainly not all coilovers. I just put the H&R street performance coilovers on, which in theory and from what I've read these are much more street oriented (like the FKs). I'm worries about ride hight on the H&R's honestly. Have a road trip out to Colorado (I live in Chicago) and have a full set of wheels, my wife, my daughter, all our luggage and me. Have a bad feeling the rears are gunna rub hard.

Das Gespenst

Go Kart Champion
Sorry didn't mean to come off like a dick there. I understand you mean typically, but there are definitely coilovers designed with street use/daily driving in mind. I also agree that a nice cup kit is the way to go but I was having a hard time finding a setup that wouldn't be too low..... and now here I am too low lol.

I have the non adjustable dampening ones, wish I had the adjustable, at c least then I could soften em up a little. As for the ride hight I'm kinda screwed, at least I have a diesel geek panzer skid plate lol.

I didn't say they were only for track cars. I said TYPICALLY they are used on track cars - good coil overs with stiff and short springs and adjustable damping are typically the realm of track cars or race cars. Some are more suited to dual purpose.

Which H&R street performance kit? There are two - the non-adjustable damper version which lists lowering range of: Average lowering 2006-2007 (1.2-2.5"F 1.3-2.4"R) 2008- (0.6-1.9"F 0.7-1.8"R)

Or the adjustable damping version which lists lowering range of: Height adjustable from 1.0 - 2.7” on average

Finally a road trip to Colorado from Illinois in a lowered GTI with 3 people and luggage sounds to me like a rental minivan. :)

dmfracer

Ready to race!
I don't think you're coming across as a dick and I hope I'm not either - just having a conversation here. :) Killing time until the tracks open.

Can you send the kit back and get something else?

Sorry didn't mean to come off like a dick there. I understand you mean typically, but there are definitely coilovers designed with street use/daily driving in mind. I also agree that a nice cup kit is the way to go but I was having a hard time finding a setup that wouldn't be too low..... and now here I am too low lol.

I have the non adjustable dampening ones, wish I had the adjustable, at c least then I could soften em up a little. As for the ride hight I'm kinda screwed, at least I have a diesel geek panzer skid plate lol.

Das Gespenst

Go Kart Champion
I don't think you're coming across as a dick and I hope I'm not either - just having a conversation here. :) Killing time until the tracks open.

Can you send the kit back and get something else?

Lol, ok good, it's hard to convey tone over text.

Unfortunately I got the setup used so I can not send it back. I'll see how it does on the 2600 mile round trip we're taking it on and go from there. The wife says the FK'S rode nicer and were more comfortable over all, so we'll see.

bon qui qui

Go Kart Champion
Heh, I just picked up an 09 GTI to make in to a daily also... and it's United Grey too lol.

ROH ECHT

K04 PLAY
Car(s)
2007 MKV GTI
I'll say it..."What H&R C/O set did you get?" LOL
Street performance...ultra low...premium...or Deep Low(1.4" lower than ultra lows with frame notching)?

I have H&R SS springs on Bilstein B8 dampers, but with H&R Street Performance springs and adjusters on in back, and it sits at 23-7/8" to 24" at all four. Been thinking of going with Ultra-Lows if ever a switch was needed because wouldn't mind going a tiny bit lower in front where now it is just under 24". Not looking for adjustability but not ruling those out just yet because will consider those if ride quality is rated low on the H&R ultra-lows. To date I have ridden in one MK5 with ultra-lows and it was better than mine for smoothness. But I have H&R front and rear sways with the rear set at stiff and this is the difference between mine and the other.

dmfracer

Ready to race!
Sorry to hear that! Let us know if there's anyway we can help. The guys on Grassrootsmotorsports forum are pretty good about lending a hand - they have a help on the road thread. I can go on their forum and try and find a garage and some tools if you need.

H&R street performance (Non adjustable dampening).

Soooooo in typical fashion of this fucking car, water pump let go while on my way from Colorado Springs to Boulder. Dumped all the coolant while driving down route 25. Just great.

Das Gespenst

Go Kart Champion
Sorry to hear that! Let us know if there's anyway we can help. The guys on Grassrootsmotorsports forum are pretty good about lending a hand - they have a help on the road thread. I can go on their forum and try and find a garage and some tools if you need.

Appreciate that big time man, but I pulled some VW connection strings and it's currently over at Greeley VW 10min away from me and they are helping me out with labor and parts cost, not sure how much they are going to "help me out" but it's better than what it would have been. I tried Blue water performance in Denver (hour away) and they quoted $850 lol. This is just killing me knowing parts are like $200 my cost and I could do it in a little over 3 hours in my garage.