GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Happy 200K miles!

iwannagofast

Not a Newbie
Car(s)
'17 GTI
My 2008.5 MKV just passed 200K miles.

It's been quite a journey and I'm pretty confident that no-one will ever own this car other than me. I've been tuned since 10k miles, stage 2 since 20k miles and K04 since 71k miles. I would say that mechanically my car has been pristine, but due to a catastrophic failure with my gearbox at 196k miles, I had to have that and my clutch replaced. My old DXD stage 2 clutch had 125K miles on it, and was at the end of it's life anyways. While they were doing that work, I also had the valves cleaned and intake manifold replaced for the 2nd time.

I've been using the GTI as a daily driver to go to construction sites for the past 4 years now considering I'm a field engineer. I in no way, shape, or form baby my car. I beat the hell out of it. My work finally came through and got me a new 2018 Ford Escape that's 100% covered by them, so my daily mileage should drastically decrease. Here's to another 50k miles!

ik1015

beeee patient ^^
Car(s)
GLI
Wow! Congrats!
Any chain tensioner, manifold flapper or any known gen1-TSI problem for you?

iwannagofast

Not a Newbie
Car(s)
'17 GTI
I'm still on my original tensioner. I had it checked when they replaced my gearbox and was told that it looked perfectly fine and to not touch it. I was still worried and thought I might do it anyways, but the shop told me that they have replaced tons of them before and mine was in mint condition. Weird.

I'm not sure if there's a different manifold flapper problem, but I'm assuming your talking about the intake manifold flapper gumming up and failing, in which case, yes I'm on my 3rd intake manifold. P2015 CEL? I'm also CBFA and keep on having a recurring secondary air injection system CEL. I kind of just want to remove the whole system and put in a block-off plate.

I'm on my second water pump and the overflow housing for my coolant sprung a leak, so I had to swap that out for a new one. Cost something like $12.

Another wear item that failed was my starter about 50k miles ago. I found that it was just a rusted ground on the starter, but it was so cheap to buy a new one, so I just did that. Also the small plastic ball/socket guide piece in my shifter linkage wore down over time, eventually got mashed up, and made it very difficult to shift. I lost a race w/ a bone stock G37 because of that. I replaced that with the APR short shifter at the same time that I did the starter.

Also, I replaced my FK Silverline X coilovers for NGP Type 1 coilovers because the ride was way too low and rough in the Silverlines.

Also, I scraped my headliner with tools for my work and now no matter what I do, it won't stay up.

The flex on my 42DD downpipe failed about 10k miles ago. It literally tore in half. I sent them an email about it and they replaced the whole downpipe for free. Pretty awesome bunch of guys.

ik1015

beeee patient ^^
Car(s)
GLI
Question? After removed secondary air intake, do you have cel on or not?

iwannagofast

Not a Newbie
Car(s)
'17 GTI
The NGP Type 1 coilovers meet my needs perfectly. Since I was driving so much for work, I wanted a softer ride that could still look aggressive and wouldn't hurt my wallet. I can tell you with confidence that I can not hit the same off ramp speeds (hard turns) as I was hitting with the FKs, but also I destroyed 2 wheels from hitting a pothole with the FKs. Also, I had passengers tell me that they wanted to throw up riding in the back seat, and my back would hurt on long drives. So the swap was kind of necessary. Now that the GTI is no longer my DD, then I might go back to the FKs considering I still have them.

I haven't removed my secondary intake system yet. I know it's been done by people, but I haven't researched it enough yet. If there is a way to delete the CEL permanently without getting too invasive, then let me know.

beauy46

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2009 TR GTI
that's awesome!!!
Original PCV? and what about the rear main seal?

iwannagofast

Not a Newbie
Car(s)
'17 GTI
Congrats! Up to 243k miles on my ‘07 GTI

Wow! I hope to be up there one day. Maybe by 2020.

that's awesome!!!
Original PCV? and what about the rear main seal?

Nope, both changed at around 125k miles. I forgot about those, according to NGP those are a couple more typical faulty areas for the TSI. I believe I had the rear main seal done at the same time as the 1st intake manifold. The PCV, I don't remember when that was done, but sometime around there. I usually just take my car to NGP when there's a problem that I can't fix and have them fix anything they can see that might fail in the near future. I should call them and ask for my service records.

I actually got video of me hitting the 200K mark:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BbuI5IwBIgx/?taken-by=ssjneko1