GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

09 GTI - Start then Stall

cbrant

Good morning! My 2009 GTI 2.0 TSI GTI has a case of the Mondays apparently and has left me stranded at home...again.

Here is all the info I have. Was running fine Friday about 80 degrees out - now 55 degrees here this morning.

Went to start it this morning and it starts fine but immediately dies. It is running for 1-2 seconds maximum. Battery was replaced in 2016 and when I tested it this morning it read 12.35volts. I also tried jumpstarting with another car, but it did the same thing.

I already disconnected the negative for 15-20 to reset the car, but the only change that took place is now the dash display does not turn on when the car does. It doesn't display mileage or anything. I honestly do not recall with 100% certainty that it was working prior to the battery reset, but I'm pretty sure it was.

Other than that - I am flying blind. I don't have VAGCOM and I won't have an OBDII reader till tomorrow, though now that I reset the car, I'm not convinced it will be able to pull any codes anyway.

Thanks for your help ahead of time.

cbrant

Okay, so I went back out. I think it might be the alternator, but I am not sure and not sure how to test it. Here's my updated symptoms:

1. Stalls after starting, but does start
2. Battery is now down to 12.0 volts after many attempted starts.
3. Dash does not come on, does not show anything at all.
4. Rapid clicking or ticking noise coming from engine bay, but not very loud. Removed the TSI cover and it sounds like it is coming from the Brake Vacuum Pump on the side of the engine.

Any further thoughts? Maybe even a large vacuum leak, but that wouldn't explain my electrical issues.

ASCI_Blue

Ballin'
Need 3 things for car go to: fuel, fire, compression.

I've heard through the years even with a bad alternator the car should start and run until it kills the battery. Maybe there's a sensor now where a car won't start if it's dying or dead.