GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

DIY, diagnosing and fixing your steering clunk noises.

ruffellprefley

get it?
Car(s)
08 GTI
bump of an old thread. my car seems to have developed a creaking at low speeds or stopped, when i turn the wheel.

it only happens a few degrees off center and in both directions. it's more of a creak than a clunk, but there is ever so slightly a clunk that i am able to feel through the steering wheel if i turn it really slowly.

if it's the upper strut mount bearings, as suggested in the OP, is it likely to be more clunking or creaking? and is it usually at full lock to lock or any time in between?

hemidesign

Ready to race!
Car(s)
GTI mk5 Castrol 2008
All right folks.. my car had the same problem making a creaking noise when i turn or accelerate...BUT and I found the problem.. :)
THE PROBLEM WAS THE BOLT FROM THE BRACKET WHICH HOLD 3 BOLTS.. THE TREAD HOLE WITH THE BOLT IN THE ILLUSTRATION BELOW (marked on red) WAS THE REAL PROBLEM..
The tread was weak and the bolt was loose.. making the creaking noise when turn or accelerate.. and the solution was..
lift the car, take out the original bolt, use a longer bolt (with same tread) with a nut on the top, screw the bolt and VOILA! and make sure is tight! Don't forget to check the other 2 bolts from each Bracket!
SO, the conclusion was.. nothing to do with suspension or struts..
I hope this helps!

by ART

hemidesign

Ready to race!
Car(s)
GTI mk5 Castrol 2008
I don't give a shit if this tread is old.. read below

IMPORTANT: When installing Coils or non OEM sport struts, if your new end-links are in different size compared with OEM, you DO have to adjust the Sway Bar (You cannot adjust sway bar when the car is lifted, make sure you use a ramp or something using the car's weight!)
Sway bar with sports suspension are the N#1 problem with clunky noises, and people don't know that shit..

sh00k0nes pt. 2

Ready to race!
All right folks.. my car had the same problem making a creaking noise when i turn or accelerate...BUT and I found the problem.. :)
THE PROBLEM WAS THE BOLT FROM THE BRACKET WHICH HOLD 3 BOLTS.. THE TREAD HOLE WITH THE BOLT IN THE ILLUSTRATION BELOW (marked on red) WAS THE REAL PROBLEM..
The tread was weak and the bolt was loose.. making the creaking noise when turn or accelerate.. and the solution was..
lift the car, take out the original bolt, use a longer bolt (with same tread) with a nut on the top, screw the bolt and VOILA! and make sure is tight! Don't forget to check the other 2 bolts from each Bracket!
SO, the conclusion was.. nothing to do with suspension or struts..
I hope this helps!

by ART

Where can I buy a longer bolt. I checked Lowes and their bolts start out smooth and the only has threads towards the tip of the bolt.

zrickety

The Fixer
Car(s)
VW GTI
Fastenal would have it.