GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

ABS MODULE FAILURE

carlosalicea

Passed Driver's Ed
If this is a common issue then it needs to be brought to the attention of the NHTSA so that VW will cover replacement cost of the units.

NHTSA uses this logic to determine if they can do a recall- is it a safety hazard? The brakes locking up could be a safety hazard, we should be in the clear for a recall or at least get a campaign going for VW to help out with the cost of the repair.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk

Hi, new in the forum. I made a complain in April.
Now it's been 3 weeks since I totaled my GTI
There must be something to do about it.
I was lucky to have a tree saving me from roll over.

I don't know if I can or how to sue VWOA.
But want another GTI.
Any sugestion is welcome

zrickety

The Fixer
Car(s)
VW GTI

e30m20b27

2009 GTI ABS Module

Hello all, I am having the same symptoms on my 2009 GTI (three loud beeps and "BRAKE", ABS, and ESC lights come on when I start the car in the morning). I haven't seen "engine workshop" yet thank goodness, but all my symptoms are the same as what other people here have described as the early stages of ABS module failure. I'm taking it to the dealer this week to get an official diagnosis. If that is the case I'm going to ask for some kind of goodwill warranty extension, but I have little hope for that.

If the dealer says it's the ABS module, I'm definitely going to add a complaint to the NHTSA.com list of complaints. As of today there are 86 complaints listed but not all of them are for the ABS module. I counted about 44 specifically mentioning the telltale symptoms.

I wanted to add my voice to the chorus, that if you are having these problems or even if you already had them and got the repair done, PLEASE go to the NHTSA website and file a safety complaint. It's fast and it will build a bigger case for a recall. This is the site: https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/VehicleComplaint/

Am I right in thinking this is a fundamental failure of the vehicle's safety system? If a large enough group of people start making noise, the chance of getting this repair covered or getting a recall is bigger. So if this is your experience, report it.

Thanks!

phand

Phand
Car(s)
VW Rabbit 2009
Just to add my name here to the list of people with ABS module failures. Mine on a 2009 Rabbit with 45,000 miles. It's outrageous that VW basically cleans up on a proven faulty part for which they charge over $1000, 10% of the original car's cost. The Rabbit has been a decent car, but I'm not thinking of VW when I replace it.

bmeskin

Another ABS 09 GTI issue

I will add my ABS failure issue on the 09 GTI at 130k. The dealer here quoted me $26000.

DAMN VW, my car has been riddled with electric problems from the start. I bought this new.

When I opened the fuse box to check the fuses, there is an F1 (missing) and an F2.

Can anyone informe me why the F1 is missing? Obviously I cannot afford to fix this now, so can I just remove this fuse or try add one to the F1 slot. What about the fuse in the side panel inside the car?

Any help surely appreciated. Should I just buy a new car, the repair seems more than the book value?

Nitrorea

Ready to race!
I will add my ABS failure issue on the 09 GTI at 130k. The dealer here quoted me $26000.

DAMN VW, my car has been riddled with electric problems from the start. I bought this new.

When I opened the fuse box to check the fuses, there is an F1 (missing) and an F2.

Can anyone informe me why the F1 is missing? Obviously I cannot afford to fix this now, so can I just remove this fuse or try add one to the F1 slot. What about the fuse in the side panel inside the car?

Any help surely appreciated. Should I just buy a new car, the repair seems more than the book value?

$26,000 or $2,600?

zrickety

The Fixer
Car(s)
VW GTI
Lol I wondered the same thing. It's got to be 2600.

Tungsten2013

Adding myself to the ABS fail list as well for my 09 GTI. Went to an independent shop and got quoted $1000 for new or half that for used.:mad:

NTHSA complaint filed as others have done under heading of Electronic Stability Control. Hopefully they investigate and make VW cover the ridiculous costs of replacing this. Obviously it's a wide issue with the 09 models.

Last edited:

jtb283

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2015 Golf R
Adding myself to the ABS fail list as well for my 09 GTI. Went to an independent shop and got quoted $1000 for new or half that for used.:mad:

NTHSA complaint filed as others have done under heading of Electronic Stability Control. Hopefully they investigate and make VW cover the ridiculous costs of replacing this. Obviously it's a wide issue with the 09 models.

File a complaint with VWoA and see if they can get the dealership to cover something.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tungsten2013

So I filed a complaint back in September with NHTSA. I got an email today from someone with a dot.gov email address saying they are with NHSTA and following up with me about my complaint. Anyone else receive similar emails after making a complaint? Guy's email signature shows BFT Technologies on assignment with NHTSA. Does this seem legit?

Email is below:
Please allow me to introduce myself, I am a Safety Defects Investigator with the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) at the Department of Transportation in Washington, DC. As such it is my job to follow up with vehicle owners when they have motor vehicle issues that are submitted on the NHTSA (http://www.nhtsa.gov/) or safercar.gov websites.
I’m contacting you because you have experienced an issue ABS system on your 2009 Volkswagen GTI or Jetta. Part of my analysis involves getting as much information as possible surrounding the events experienced by drivers to allow me to fully understand the technical issues. I’m very interested in any further information you could send me regarding the details surrounding this issue:
· Videos
· Scanned (if possible pdf format) police reports
· Pictures
· Invoices for repairs made to your vehicle for this or similar issues
· May I have your permission to share your Vehicle Owners Questionnaire (VOQ) with the manufacturer?
I think it would help my investigation to get as many technical details surrounding this issue as possible. If you do have documentation please send it to Paul Simmons at Paul.Simmons@dot.gov
Thank you and please don’t hesitate to call my office if you would like further discussion.

zrickety

The Fixer
Car(s)
VW GTI
The email address is legit for sure.