GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

PRNDS Flash of Death...or is it?

dubbinintheboysroom

I've searched all the forums and haven't found an issue quite like mine yet. I've got the flashing gear indicator thing going on, but that's the extent of it. Most notable is the fact that it's extremely intermittent, but once it starts flashing (usually after switching from manual to auto) the only way to make it stop is to take it through an ignition cycle. No false neutrals, no limp mode, and the gears seem to be engaging/disengaging properly. No fault codes either, at least with an OBD-II.

Are the transmission fault codes stealthy, or will they only register with VCDS or Vagcom?

Does this sound like a Mechatronic issue, or just a simple ground issue, or what?

My car's out of warranty and was not part of the DSG/Mechatronic recall or extended warranty so any help/thoughts on this is greatly appreciated. Is there a sort of troubleshooting guide for poor dummies on this subject?

kwamaineepic

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2007 MKv GTI
I had this same issue a few months back. I'm also out of warranty and wasn't part of the DSG recall, so I ended up taking it to a shop. I was getting intermittent codes, but i don't remember what they were exactly, but it was basically a communication error of some sort. While it was at the shop, they were able to duplicate those errors initially, but once they took out the mechatronics unit to be sent to a specialty shop, no luck. They said it was fine, so they put it back in and then it just didn't work at all. I found it strange that the specialty shop found nothing wrong with the unit. All in all, I ended up getting a new mechatronics unit and I haven't any issues (other than a hurt wallet) since. Hope this kind of helps..

FiXXXerX

Ready to race!
I have an '09 as well, had the same exact thing happen to my transmission while I was under the CPO warranty.

Ended up getting a new box put in at around 40k (I'm at 83k now) and all has been well. Granted, you may just need a Mech. unit, but, mine was more than that.

Das : Mine ABS control module is shot :p Have one I pulled out of a low mileage 2012 sitting in my garage... not ready to tackle it yet, so my buddy vag-com'ed the car to do a full ESP defeat and aside from the annoying light, it works for driving aggressively.

Das Gespenst

Go Kart Champion
I have an '09 as well, had the same exact thing happen to my transmission while I was under the CPO warranty.

Ended up getting a new box put in at around 40k (I'm at 83k now) and all has been well. Granted, you may just need a Mech. unit, but, mine was more than that.

Das : Mine ABS control module is shot :p Have one I pulled out of a low mileage 2012 sitting in my garage... not ready to tackle it yet, so my buddy vag-com'ed the car to do a full ESP defeat and aside from the annoying light, it works for driving aggressively.

Yep lol, that's what I did for the time being as well. It hasn't completely failed yet, so as long as I keep TC/ESP off it doesn't seem to freak out. What part number module did you get?