GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

How difficult to replace small radiator fan?

257Roberts

Passed Driver's Ed
My A/C is taking a long time to start blowing cold air and after reading some info, I decided to check the smaller of the two radiator fans. The small fan is not running even after the engine gets warm and the A/C is on. I am thinking of changing it myself. How difficult is it to get off and replaced? I do not have a car lift, just a floor jack and jack stands. Looks to me like the whole fan assembly will need to come out of the bottom. If any of you have replaced the fan, I would be appreciative of any help. Thanks. Wish I could contribute more to this forum, but I have not done many repairs myself to my GTI.

avenali312

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
Just did this a couple weeks ago. It's not that bad at all. I did it with a jack and jack stands out in a parking lot. It does have to drop from the bottom and both fans are part of the same assembly. There's only four screws holding the assembly up, but the upper passenger side one is a royal pain in the ass to get out.

I followed these instructions:
http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?4902624-DIY-Cooling-Fan-Replacement

257Roberts

Passed Driver's Ed
Thank you avenali312! Did the new fan fix your problem? I did read that the large fan module also controls the smaller fan as well, but my large fan is running fine on both speeds. Mostly high speed now since the smaller fan is not working and the weather here in Alabama is warming up quickly. I'm hoping there is nothing wrong with the fan controller. I found a new fan motor and blade on eBay for around $60 so I am willing to try the repair. Thanks again.

avenali312

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
A new fan did fix my problem. I knew it was the fan because it went out once and came back to life for a while by tapping on it. I got my replacement fan on eBay for $43.

A41.8QTM

That's what she said
Car(s)
2008 GTI
Your AC issue is likely not because of the dead fan. Although you definitely want to fix the aux fan if it doesn't run, you should also check the pressure in your AC system. If you are lucky it just needs extra charge. Otherwise your compressor could be going bad.

avenali312

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
Your AC issue is likely not because of the dead fan. Although you definitely want to fix the aux fan if it doesn't run, you should also check the pressure in your AC system. If you are lucky it just needs extra charge. Otherwise your compressor could be going bad.

This is true. My problem was only that the small fan wasn't spinning and my car sounded like a jumbo jet during takeoff. My A/C was not affected in any way.

avenali312

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
I'd make sure to get a part number for your fan. I've heard that some spin the opposite direction depending on the model.

257Roberts

Passed Driver's Ed
I have A/C gauges and checked the charge first thing. It is fine. Other than the fan, which A41 rightly says needs to be replaced no matter what, the only part that might be going bad would be the Refrigerant Control Valve. From what I understand, the valve controls the amount of refrigerant the compressor pumps. Apparently it's a variable setup VW and other manufacturers use to increase fuel mileage. I'm hoping the fan will take care of the problem. Avenali, the link to the repair along with the accompanying photos will be a big help when my fan arrives. I purchased it from a seller on eBay for $44.

avenali312

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
I have A/C gauges and checked the charge first thing. It is fine. Other than the fan, which A41 rightly says needs to be replaced no matter what, the only part that might be going bad would be the Refrigerant Control Valve. From what I understand, the valve controls the amount of refrigerant the compressor pumps. Apparently it's a variable setup VW and other manufacturers use to increase fuel mileage. I'm hoping the fan will take care of the problem. Avenali, the link to the repair along with the accompanying photos will be a big help when my fan arrives. I purchased it from a seller on eBay for $44.

Glad to hear it. Sounds like the same price I paid. Good luck :thumbsup:

A41.8QTM

That's what she said
Car(s)
2008 GTI
I'm in the same boat with my small fan out and zero AC. My fan went out last year but the AC worked fine. I haven't used it in months so no idea really when whatever went wrong there. I don't have gauges to check the system charge and none of the local auto parts stores do it so I need to find a shop that will do it for me as a drop-in. I at least want to know if my charge is okay or not before doing anything else. Unfortunately, if your charge is good and you want to replace the high pressure switch you'll need to clear the system and then charge it again. You might have the gear but I'll need to pay.

I have A/C gauges and checked the charge first thing. It is fine. Other than the fan, which A41 rightly says needs to be replaced no matter what, the only part that might be going bad would be the Refrigerant Control Valve.

razr

+50 hp spark plugs
just a heads up guys, i replaced my small radiator fan and soon after the large fan went out!

apparently it is common for the big one to go out after replacing the small one (according to a VW tech).

i have to order the big fan now.. :(

avenali312

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
just a heads up guys, i replaced my small radiator fan and soon after the large fan went out!

apparently it is common for the big one to go out after replacing the small one (according to a VW tech).

i have to order the big fan now.. :(

I could totally see that. I would guess it depends on how long you let it go. I know my large fan was working double time to make up for the lack of the aux fan.

257Roberts

Passed Driver's Ed
My large fan has been running hard once the weather got warm here and I have started using the A/C heavily. I will hope the small fan fixes everything. A41, you can buy a small gauge kit including one hose and a can of 134A. You will be able to see if there is any refrigerant in the system and get a ballpark idea of the charge. I think the kit is maybe no more than $40.

A41.8QTM

That's what she said
Car(s)
2008 GTI
Just swapped the small fan tonight. screw by the alternator was tough due to one of the AC lines. I also had to remove the noise pipe that runs my DV relocation and move my catch can out of the way. Then underneath the lower driver side screw and actually getting the unit out of the car was challenging because I have a FMIC and after market TB pipe with larger plumbing. Luckily I was able to wedge the large fan past with a bit of convincing.

I tested the old fan with 12v and it was definitely dead. The new one spun right up when I tested it before installing. I took a quick spin aeround the block to make sure I didn't forget to put anything back together but it didn't get warm enough to kick either fan on.

I also was able to figure out that I have the snap-ring type high pressure switch on my AC compressor - that's next to replace.