GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Might order a 2015 GTI tonight

rubbaVdub

Beer Enthusiast
Car(s)
GTI MKV TSI DSG
Somebody talk me out of this ;)

I've had my MKV for about a gear and I absolutely love it. It runs like a top and has never given me a single issue that wasn't fixed for free under warranty (which has 2.5 years remaining). Part of what makes it so good is my outstanding dealer, where I have been servicing it since I got it.

I'm at a pivotal point where the car is still worth something to dealerships and I think I might take advantage of that. I was surprisingly offered $17,000 for it as a trade which is just slightly less than what I paid for it last year. Considering I put 30,000 km on it in that time, its a pretty cheap rental.

There are obviously no 2015s on the ground yet so my order would be conditional on an overnight test drive when the car arrives in late May. That said, if I wait until May to test drive and order one then, I likely wouldn't take delivery until late summer.

The biggest thing holding me back is that this thing is made in Mexico. But according to the sales manager (who visited the new factory last year), the factory is very advanced and teaming with German engineers... somehow I doubt that.

This is how I equipped it:

Trim 2.0 TSI 3-Door Autobahn
Base Price $31,995.00
Engine2.0L, 211 hp, in-line 4-cylinder,16V, TSI .
6-speed automatic DSG with Tiptronic.
My Options $2,095.00
Colour Pure White
Freight & PDI $1,395.00
Wheels 7.5 X 18’’ aluminum alloy wheels
Fees & Taxes $4,726.05
Interior Clark Cloth
Total $40,211.05 1
OptionsTechnology Package

There's another $500 for VW loyalty and the dealer agreed on an APR Stage 1 tune from the dealership included in the cost.

What do you guys think?

Austin_hull

Für Die Liebe Des Autos
Car(s)
MK5 TR GTI REVO// +
I love my dub, but $40,000....? Idk...the next GTI I get will be an R-variant....Sounds like you've got a good dealer though....If quality's your only fear, I'd pull the trigger!

michail77

Go Kart Champion
Well, I have a 2007 GLI and it has held up great. I don't get all the squeaks and rattles everyone else complains about ... must be that Mexican assembly.

Anyway, most parts are probably still German made.

michail77

Go Kart Champion
I love my dub, but $40,000....? Idk...the next GTI I get will be an R-variant....Sounds like you've got a good dealer though....If quality's your only fear, I'd pull the trigger!

It's up to $40K now? I thought they have been making these cars cheaper with every passing year. Like all the metal parts getting replaced by plastic, etc.

Ever since the MK6 they've been looking more like Hondas too. Though Hondas from a generation ago.

Fernas

Mexibahn Native
Car(s)
MKV GLI "Red Baron"
It's up to $40K now? I thought they have been making these cars cheaper with every passing year. Like all the metal parts getting replaced by plastic, etc.

Ever since the MK6 they've been looking more like Hondas too. Though Hondas from a generation ago.

Price is kind of the main reason why they started building them in Mexico, because the GTI was getting just too damn expensive for a car of its kind.

GLI has been built here for a lot of years, they seem to share the same quality as the german made GTI....

michail77

Go Kart Champion
The original sticker on mine was around $31K but I got it used at two years old for $16K. I still think $30K is too much for a car even though I'd probably fit a demographic for a $50K car.

I would agree, the Mexican made GLI is of great build quality. They've been doing this for some years now. I'd take a Mexican VW over an American Dodge without question.

Eric6014

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2 Door 2008 GTI DSG
Somebody talk me out of this ;)

This is how I equipped it:

Trim 2.0 TSI 3-Door Autobahn

I thought the autobahn trim was only available as a 5 door. Do you guys have different trim packages in Canada than here in the States? $17K is a great offer for a 5 year old trade in. Seems almost too good to be true... You wont' get a better offer than that. I'd be tempted too.

Barrett

veeeeeduuub
Car(s)
08 GTI MKV
I think the price in Canada is going to appear larger than the price in the US. I'm not sure though.

Eric6014

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2 Door 2008 GTI DSG
How can they agree to an APR tune from the dealership? Aren't they still in testing for the MKVII?

SuperSkyline89

Das Schiesse
Car(s)
2008 CW GTI
Car prices are noticeably higher in Canada.

I got mine two years ago, a 2008, for $23,700. The MkVI's were going for $35,000 loaded, $40,000 for the R.

There is a lot of robotics involved with making cars these days but quality does vary plant to plant. I don't know about VW specifically but I know the Toyota's manufactured in Woodstock, Ontario are consistently rated higher than other North American plants.

gti2slow

Go Kart Champion
So you are thinking about spending $40,211.05 on a GTI?

:thumbdown:

Wild Hare

.: MR. BIG STUFF :.
Car(s)
2015 Golf R (TUNED)
I'd get a Golf R for that price!