GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Changing spark plugs, Need advice

Stylist07

Banned
Car(s)
MKV R32 DBP #1238
I decided to change my spark plugs and need some advice from any body who has done this maintenance on his R32.

I have a few questions about the Vag connection and Coil packs, How are these removed on the R32 engine???

Should i know about any Tips on how to remove the spark plugs, coil packs or the Vag connecters???

Also what is the ftlbs when installing the plugs???

And yes i have searched:thumbsup:

Wehrmacht

German-o-phile
Car(s)
R32
Stylist give me a call if you want...

The clips that snap onto the coil packs have small delicate plastic tabs that you need to carefully pry and then pull off. Then you simply pull up on the coil pack, they just pop off the head of the spark plug.

The rest is pretty standard work with an appropriate extension.

Saabstory

.:R32 OG Member # 002
Car(s)
MKVI Golf TDI 6MT
Coil packs are slide fit, nothing holds them on.

Spark plugs you'll just need a plug socket and an extension, 6 inch or so to get to them comfortably

Coil pack connectors are easy to remove once you have the covers off, just start on the far left as it is the easiest to see/get to.

Coil pack covers have 2 small clips underneath that hold them on the connector; gently pry them with a small screwdriver or pick and you can remove them. There are two different cover styles (2 angles for the two different cylinder directions) so don't mix them up.

Spark plugs are standard; 15 ft-lb I think? I just hand tighten + 1/2 turn anyway; never had trouble with that.

Any other questions?

wrturnerjr

Isn't there a nifty coil pack puller tool? Is it worth the purchase? Or does the screw driver method more than suffice?

Thanks.

Stylist07

Banned
Car(s)
MKV R32 DBP #1238
Isn't there a nifty coil pack puller tool? Is it worth the purchase? Or does the screw driver method more than suffice?

Thanks.

yes there is but its like 30 bucks plus 10 bucks for shipping:mad:

Coil packs are slide fit, nothing holds them on.

Spark plugs you'll just need a plug socket and an extension, 6 inch or so to get to them comfortably

Coil pack connectors are easy to remove once you have the covers off, just start on the far left as it is the easiest to see/get to.

Coil pack covers have 2 small clips underneath that hold them on the connector; gently pry them with a small screwdriver or pick and you can remove them. There are two different cover styles (2 angles for the two different cylinder directions) so don't mix them up.

Spark plugs are standard; 15 ft-lb I think? I just hand tighten + 1/2 turn anyway; never had trouble with that.

Any other questions?

Perfect saab:happyanim: just what i need to here, ill let u know more if i break anything.LOL

Stylist give me a call if you want...

The clips that snap onto the coil packs have small delicate plastic tabs that you need to carefully pry and then pull off. Then you simply pull up on the coil pack, they just pop off the head of the spark plug.

The rest is pretty standard work with an appropriate extension.

U got it bro, how u been doing????

How long is ur hair by now, or did u shave it again???:w00t:

Saabstory

Car(s)
MKVI Golf TDI 6MT
The puller tool is great, and really nice if you are buying other stuff anyway. If you buy it only and pay the shipping as well it adds up quick.

A couple zip ties, one over each edge of the coil pack, work as well and cost you almost nothing :thumbsup:

Stylist07

Banned
Car(s)
MKV R32 DBP #1238
Hey saab,

I just swapped out my spark plugs and all is great at the moment!!!! I have a few questions

Is there any brake in period to the spark plugs?????

Should i notice any difference in the new plugs????

Thanks saab,

Im selling my old plugs if anyone wants them. ?!?!?!?!?! They have 30k miles on them

Saabstory

Car(s)
MKVI Golf TDI 6MT
If your old plugs were working properly (at 30k I would guess they were fine still) then you won't really notice anything no.

If your old plugs were worn (gap increases) or getting corroded then you may notice an improvement in mileage and it could run a bit smoother.

Stylist07

Banned
Car(s)
MKV R32 DBP #1238
If your old plugs were working properly (at 30k I would guess they were fine still) then you won't really notice anything no.

If your old plugs were worn (gap increases) or getting corroded then you may notice an improvement in mileage and it could run a bit smoother.

Sweet man

My plugs where pretty black and corroded but this is my first time changing them

This is a Easy DIY for noobies, how much would the dealer charge for this service???? Like $200-$300????

If any one wants any info on the DIY of the plugs very straight forward job and easy breezy.

TheeFT

That One Guy
Car(s)
Germans
Sweet man

My plugs where pretty black and corroded but this is my first time changing them

This is a Easy DIY for noobies, how much would the dealer charge for this service???? Like $200-$300????

If any one wants any info on the DIY of the plugs very straight forward job and easy breezy.

a dealer would probably charge i'd say 120-150, there going to get you denso oem plugs and slap a 1hr labor rate on there and thats where they get you, if its not warrarty work i don't goto the dealer. you won't notice a difference if performance, MAYBE mpg's but thats about it. i like to change my plugs every 4th oil change just out of good habit.