GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Calling all Canadians and Deep snow drivers!

Jules' GTI

Clueless but Lovin my VW!
I am looking to put a set of winter tires on my GTI. This is my first set and I am not too sure what to look for. Can anyone recommend one of these tires? Bridgestone Blizzak WS60, Michelin X-Ice Xi2 or Dunlop SP Winter Sport 3D. I currently have the Original All season tires on my car (ContiProContact) and they are useless in the snow and on ice. I am need of winter tires and don't know much about them. Please help!

VancouverGTI

Go Kart Champion
The ContiProContacts are useless on dry pavement, too. Sold mine as quick as I could and got some P-Zero Neros, which are much better.

As far as winters go, yeah, I'm in the same boat as you are. That said, the three you list are the top 3 picks I've found as well, so there must be something to that. All three do very well in reviews on TireRack.com.

I'm thinking I'll go with whichever of the three happen to be on sale when I go shopping.

robthorpe

Licence Plate: SK8RDIE
Stock all seasons and drive better.

Fuck, for sure I'll get in an accident this winter for that comment!

GTIFTW

I'm Luvin it...
I have a set of 16 inch steelies with blizzak LM25's (I think the WS60's are the newer better model... Not sure). Well the LM25's are amazing. There's a hill on Fraser hwy close to my house that has a managable uphill grade in the dry and rain but when there's snow or ice their is always cars, vans, and suv's without snow tires spinning out half way up the hill or sliding back down. It's funny watching peoples faces going "WTF!?" as I'm easily going up the snowy/icy hill in my little hatchback as if the ground was dry. And to think that people laughed at me when I bought the Blizzaks the week before it snowed. In the winter I say go blizzak or stay home :biggrin:

moniz

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2007 VW GTI
I ended up going with Hankook iPike W409's on 16" steelies cause the price was right ($800 taxes in), and can't say enough good things about these tires. I've got 2 winters on them already , going on my third.

Jules' GTI

Clueless but Lovin my VW!
Thanks for all your input! I called up tire rack and ordered the Blizzak's and rims! Awesome deal shipped to Canada! 1199 USD! Thanks again!

LQRV1675

Passed Driver's Ed
I put a set of Pirelli Winter Carving Edge last winter and they were great.

Size is 205-55-r16 they also take studs if you need them, And are highly rated.

kootenaydub

The Scandinavian Flick
Dunlop SP Winter Sport 3D's : $490.03
VW take off steel wheels 16": $209.43

Total price for awesome winter set up: $699.46 CAD on Tirerack.com plus about $80 in duties

The same set up would've been well over $1000 at my local shop. I will never buy a set of tires or wheels in Canada.