GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Extra maintenance for Stage 1 tune

alvincwm

Hi guys! I currently own a 2008 GTI DSG transmission and have been thinking about getting a Stage 1 tune (prob with APR since they have a couple dealers close to where I live unlike Unitronic) in the summer. Are there any extra maintenance that I will have to be aware of before or after the tune? So far my car is completely stock other than a RCD330 plus radio and a euro switch.

Currently the mileage on my car is almost reaching 95K. I have gotten my spark plugs, DV Valve, water pump/timing belt, brake pads and rotors replaced around 24K miles ago. PCV and valve cover gasket was recently replaced within the past 200 miles. I also plan on replacing the coil packs and cam follower on my car pretty soon.

alvincwm

Tbh, I didn't feel like spending too much on it. The tune is already at least $600. The cheapest DP I could find was a Beluga T-304 Stainless Steel 3″ which cost around $160 and an intake should be $300+ based on the ones on ECS tuning. I wouldn't mind the DP though but I would rather save the cash for better brakes/wheels/tires. Sadly, I'm still on the stock wheels...Also I heard for the Stage 2, you need to change the cam follower more frequently...somewhere along the range of 10-15K miles right?

Just curious, would you need to upgrade the HPFP too for a stage 2?

Stenosis

Yeah, I didn't feel like spending too much money either, which is why I shop on eBay and Craigslist. I did the eBay fancy $80 3"Turbo Catless Downpipe Exhaust Decat, and a $150 Cold Air Intake Pipe +Filter Kit off Amazon.

For stage 2 tune, found this guy off Craigslist that sells ECU's pre-loaded with tunes. Paid $400. I have stock HPFP...no upgrade needed for me. I did replace cam follower about 5k miles ago...but looked fine.

What's with knocking stock wheels?? I love my stock wheels...they do burnouts just like fancy pants wheels.

golfballer78

Ready to race!
Car(s)
08' R32 dsg
Nothing wrong with stock wheels other then the 18’s being about 30lbs a wheel. Stg 2 is really not big improvements over 1. The golf r/s3 turbo is an improvement of significance. And can be found for a grand plus some support stuff will be the best you can do to this without building the block for gt30 400hp levels. If worried about money don’t even bother beyond stg 1 & yer gonna need maintenance on a decade old car anyway.

somerset9

Go Kart Newbie
From what I hear K04 to Stage 2 isn't that big of a difference either until you get to top end. K04 will continue to pull where the stage 2 fade off.

golfballer78

Ready to race!
Car(s)
08' R32 dsg
K03 gives you the low to mid punch. Flows less in the high revs. Therefore no room to continue to make power in that range. As many of us have been there, you’ll get over stage 2 & want higher level.

Stenosis

Stage 2 gives me 20+ HP and 25+ Torque over Stage 1. All the bolt-ons and Stage 2 tune cost about $630. Stage 1 tune alone is $350 from "the Craigslist dude".

So I paid $280 for 20+ HP. Worth it? Think so...car feels much faster, but all these performance gains are my perception. Need some empirical data.

Off to Craigslist to look for cheap dyno in area.