GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Import Showdown at Drag Strip

Rickyfinch

Passed Driver's Ed
Ok well I took my MKV GTI to the drag strip to test and tune to see what advances I've made so far, as far as my time goes to check my improvements.
My car is a 2008 4 door, DSG, with every option, I've added a UM tune (stage 1) and a eBay DP.

First off the stock intercooler is shit and will be replaced soon, heat soak was a bitch. Secondly I improved a half second in the 1/8th mile spinning like hell through most of second.

Anyways for showing up to Test and Tune I got to get in the "Import Showdown" for free. There were about 20 cars, 12 of them Honda's, bid surprise. So long story short, I was running 9.20s-9.50s (which btw would've beaten most of my old shitty Mustangs that I've owned over the years.)
So I outran a Honda Civic mostly stock he was running 10.80s so a easy kill. Next round was a built b16b, with a t3/t4 .60 trim Acura Integra, he was running 9.10s, Luckly I killed him on the tree and cut a .010 reaction time and left him sitting at the line, he doing so I guess he got into his power too soon and spun bad. He only ran a 9.67. So in the semi finals I had the bi round which was good, got into the finals, and faced a purpose built N/A Civic Hatch K20 that had no interior and with the driver only weighed 2200 pounds..... did I mention he had slicks as well? Anyways he ran a 8.36 and smoked my ass in the finals.

I had fun, got to beat up on Honda's, Mini Cooper S, and the Integra. All in all it was a good day.

My fastest time was a 9.27, with a 2.27 60ft and a trap speed of 79mph.

I will definitely get the S3 intercooler soon, they are pretty cheap now, and from there that'll probably do it with this car. If I get ballsier maybe a 75 wet shot of Nitrous. But only after I have another DD.

Last edited:

ROH ECHT

K04 PLAY
Car(s)
2007 MKV GTI
My GIAC stage 1, with DSG, pump performance tune ran 8.8s @ the 1/8m...and 14.1s @ 100mph at the 1/4m. Seems like you may be able to eek out a lower 1/8 et with more launch practice...what was your 60ft et? A 2.0s is possible on decent street tires. Did you use launch control and stay off full throttle until 2nd gear was firmly rolling?

Rickyfinch

Passed Driver's Ed
My GIAC stage 1, with DSG, pump performance tune ran 8.8s @ the 1/8m...and 14.1s @ 100mph at the 1/4m. Seems like you may be able to eek out a lower 1/8 et with more launch practice...what was your 60ft et? A 2.0s is possible on decent street tires. Did you use launch control and stay off full throttle until 2nd gear was firmly rolling?

Talk about a delayed response, I was using launch control aND spinning through second every time. With some sticky tires I could see high 8's easily.

ROH ECHT

K04 PLAY
Car(s)
2007 MKV GTI
...where'dee go? LOL
If one is tuned you have to stay away from full throttle, if on street tires, through second gear until it's near redline(post 6k rpm)...or try a few times and see if you can find the sweet spot with the throttle. Torque comes so immediately with these. I've had the K04 since 2010...and I still have 60ft et's between 2.0 to 2.2 seconds with street tires and with an 1/8th mile et of 8.4s @ 89mph. DR's would help, but you'd still need to test if they would hold at full throttle in first and second.

ROH ECHT

K04 PLAY
Car(s)
2007 MKV GTI
The track opens back up soon, I'll have to go see if I can get that to work. Thanks!

If nothing else works...I hold the throttle where it will keep the revs at the launch limit rather than at full throttle. Next, I increase the throttle once rolling spinfree from the line and try shifting from first at 5800 to 6k rpm. I progressively go from the throttle position I have when shifted to reach full throttle by 5800 to 6k rpm from second gear to third and shortly thereafter I floor it. That's the best I got for you running street tires. Post what works for you...cuz I may learn something I haven't tried yet :thumbsup:

Here's one vid of mine, but not sure you can get much from it...and the friends phone camera footage sux :frown:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FnEKOLOUS3k

Rickyfinch

Passed Driver's Ed
As far as the street goes I've been bringing up my launch control, holding at 2k, engaging TC with the rpms still up and leaving this way. I don't have a timer on it yet however it leaves without using much of the TC. And my butt dyno tells me it's launching much harder. As long as I keep the rpms reasonable I haven't noticed the TC. I tried this at 3k for shits and giggles and of course it fell on its face.

Has anyone else tried this?

Rickyfinch

Passed Driver's Ed
Quick update, went back to the same track, Godspeed intercooler (Apr knockoff) installed, and I took the downpipe lose from the rear exhaust. I had somewhat a better tires this time PZeros. Ran a 9.09 @ 77mph hotlapping. If I didn't have my wife and kids with me, I would've waited about a hour for the air and car to cool off and probably would've ran high 8's. There were a ton of v6 Camaros, Mustangs there. Along with a Hemi Charger, 2wd and a Dodge SRT-10 Quad Cab. I had the best time there for a street car with street tires. So I'll take it. I outran the SRT-10 three times. Made me feel good about my little GTI. 60ft was 2.22

Rickyfinch

Passed Driver's Ed
Went back to the strip today, ran a 8.8 @ 80mph. 60 ft was 2.1. Had to get my tire pressure right for it to hook, if I would've had a little more time I may have cut it down another tenth.

Only thing added was a CAI.

To put this is perspective a 2014 Mustang 5.0 6 speed on street tires ran 9.1-8.8 respectively​. I outran him both times I ran him.

It was a good day