GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2.0T FSI Timing Belt - Time to Replace

Mr. Marc

Ready to race!
In San Diego, do I have to spend $1K for this project? I am at 90K miles and need to take action.

I have asked a few places, and this seems to be the price. It is a big job, but maybe someone has perfected it and I can get done cheaper?

Thanks for any shop referrals.

golfballer78

Ready to race!
Car(s)
08' R32 dsg
Sorry buddy, t-belts typically not a cheap job unless u get deals on parts & diy (which I do in most cases). Maybe enthusiastic guys near you can be hired to do it in yer garage, parts may be a few hundred bucks or so. It’s labor hrs that kill us.

3carmonte

Gelbrain
Car(s)
2007 GTI DSG Coup
1K? Not bad for the whole job which is more than the timing belt. It's a kit.
With the front of the engine exposed, your replacing not just the timing belt but all the other parts that will now have 90,000 mi. on them. See this ECS Tuning link for an example. https://www.ecstuning.com/b-assembl...iming-belt-kit-with-thermostat/06d109119bkt2/ Less than this isn't a complete job. My best estimates from the dealership or The German Import shop in my area is $1,300 to $1,500 including parts (which cost more than ECS's kit at the dealership). I'm at 83K mi right now.

ROH ECHT

K04 PLAY
Car(s)
2007 MKV GTI
The belt is scheduled to be changed at 120k miles(or would likely include "ten years")...it is scheduled to be inspected at 60k, 80k, and 100k miles and changed if needed at those earlier miles. Yes, you should go ahead and replace the water pump and idle pulleys at the same time because you're already in there. Price is costly to do but the option is what? Wait? You should just inspect it after removing the top cover. If it looks good with no cracking, let it go a bit. I get a good rate at my dealership and so I had mine changed at 60k and 120k miles with a cost of less than $500 each time. But if it was a full rate deal...I would look up a good DIY for this: https://www.golfmkv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=135872

Last edited:

GTI's

Drag Racing Champion
Replacement mileage in the MK5 varied by MY, VW did not even have a clue. '06 check at 60k and then at 20k intervals no replacement mileage just when it looks bad.......'07 same as '06 but replace at 120k.....'08 same as '06 but replace at 110k.

Just check at 20k intervals and replace if needed and change out when you hit 80k or ten years. Not worth the damage done by not taking car of it sooner.

vwengineer

Ready to race!
Strange, mine is a '05 with checks at 60k then every 20k, replace at 120k. Not a BPY engine though

Attachments

• 20190615_104659.jpg
    20190615_104659.jpg
    454.6 KB · Views: 175

GTI's

Drag Racing Champion
Was that from the owners manual?? Just looked at an '08 owners manual and it makes not mention of 2.0T FSI timing belt or tensioner till the 110K service when it is to be replaced. The only other mention of timing belt checking starts at 60k and every 20k thereafter and says "Timing belt: Check condition and replace if necessary(2.0L engine, Canada only)"

golfballer78

Ready to race!
Car(s)
08' R32 dsg
Do it at 60 or 90, don’t wait for that 120 bullshit. Not worth the risk. They also scheduled that 10k oil change nonsense I never follow.

ROH ECHT

K04 PLAY
Car(s)
2007 MKV GTI
Was that from the owners manual?? Just looked at an '08 owners manual and it makes not mention of 2.0T FSI timing belt or tensioner till the 110K service when it is to be replaced. The only other mention of timing belt checking starts at 60k and every 20k thereafter and says "Timing belt: Check condition and replace if necessary(2.0L engine, Canada only)"
The maintenance interval schedule seemingly changes from year to year. My 2007 interval for the timing belt, from my Owner's Manual-Maintenance section, is as I posted above:
"The belt is scheduled to be changed at 120k miles(or would likely include "ten years")...it is scheduled to be inspected at 60k, 80k, and 100k miles and changed if needed at those earlier miles."

I selected to change mine at 60k and 120k miles and when removed...each time, the belt looked to be in great shape. They seemingly only changed the "Replace" interval from 120k to 110k...I believe someone mentioned that above.

Above, the 90k Km etc. equals; 56k miles, near 75k miles and so on...I imagine VW altered the intervals based on environment and region.

Last edited:

vwengineer

Ready to race!
Yes it's from the owners manual. I guess they defined the miles intervals roughly from the km intervals, but indeed 180'000km would be more around 110'000 miles (I guess they wanted to match the 20'000 miles/30'000km service interval in either case). Also while the replacement interval is specific to the 110kW and 147kW engines, the check interval is defined for all 4 cylinders gas engines

Last edited:

707Stang

I'm Hella From Nor*Cal
In San Diego, do I have to spend $1K for this project? I am at 90K miles and need to take action.

I have asked a few places, and this seems to be the price. It is a big job, but maybe someone has perfected it and I can get done cheaper?

Thanks for any shop referrals.

Have you looked called up pure Motorsport in Miramar? I had them work on my R32 there and a former coworker would take his Golf R there exclusively.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk