GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

A build I am very happy with - got all my info on this forum

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Car(s)
MK 6 GolfR
The crossover tube on the top looks wrong, is there something about these that makes mounting them upside down the correct way or was pic taken during mockup?

Anyhoo, great progress, love to see updates in this thread.

Really had no idea how to mount them. Took a chance with what seemed logical with bleeders at the bottom.

So are you saying we have them flipped, Right on Left side? How do you know the proper orientation... willing to learn. Couldn't find a pic or youtube on to guide me. Appreciate the point out.

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Car(s)
MK 6 GolfR
Bleeders go on top as air rises. Crossover tubes on top will trap air

Thanks for the education. Now I get it. Will switch them tomorrow. Thanks guys (eurocars and gtislow) for saving me from myself. Oh and thanks for not adding the word duh at the end to the explanation though I would have deserved it.

Last edited:

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Car(s)
MK 6 GolfR
Anybody have an opinion on the aftermarket clutch upgrades for the DSG. I just put a fresh set of stock clutches in the DSG but the trans is just sitting on the bench right now and it would be a good time to do the upgrade. While I see that these kits increase the surface area for the clutch by increasing the number of disks I have some concern that the durability of these thinner clutch disks may ultimately be an issue..... That is just me, nothing to back that concern up in terms of reviews. So few have done that type of upgrade it is hard to get good input. If you have an opinion, please share. And I especially would like to hear from anyone who has actually installed/used any of these aftermarket clutch upgrades. In the meantime, Google and I will get to searching.

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Car(s)
MK 6 GolfR
Stay away from SSP, I have to burned clutches (me & friend). TVS & APR I think are good as far as I hear

This is good info, thanks.

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Car(s)
MK 6 GolfR
I have apr clutches. So far so good

So between the clutches and the tune is this about a 2500 dollar upgrade?

With the EFR 7163 I am expecting to hit 500whp with all that I am doing. My DSG clutches and LSD have less than 3000 miles. Sort of torn as to whether the upgrade will benefit me as I have a fresh trans with a nice cooling system. All hard driving will be on track (road course - no autox or drag racing)

Thoughts?

Das Gespenst

Go Kart Champion
So between the clutches and the tune is this about a 2500 dollar upgrade?

With the EFR 7163 I am expecting to hit 500whp with all that I am doing. My DSG clutches and LSD have less than 3000 miles. Sort of torn as to whether the upgrade will benefit me as I have a fresh trans with a nice cooling system. All hard driving will be on track (road course - no autox or drag racing)

Thoughts?

I'm in the same boat right now. Unfortunately, there's not a lot of people building these things like we are so the info out there is limited. For some reason I seem to remember someone pushed a DSG on stock clutch packs to it's limit and that ended up being right around 450whp. I'll have to look into it further though to confirm that.

I know Jose on here upgraded his clutch packs with Dodson. I've heard honor stories about SSP, but they are so limited it's hard to say. I'd say APR or Dodson (Dodson has some serious track record with their stuff, top notch).

At what point do you stop lol. Personally I'm going to do the clutch packs (probably with Dodson) when I finally get the motor built. I mean, it's come this far, I might as well go full full retard on it lol. It would also suck to get all of it done and then have something you were on the fence about fail at the track and lose a paid track day.

live4something

Ready to race!
It's been forever but for some reason I'm thinking "tmsracing" and "mrbickle" where both on stock clutch packs and around the power level you are going for. They did a lot of drag racing.

Not sure how everything fared in the long run, but I want to say it went well. I also vaguely recall at least one of them having a custom TCU tune with a TON of clamping pressure

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Last edited:

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Car(s)
MK 6 GolfR
It's been forever but for some reason I'm thinking "tmsracing" and "mrbickle" where both on stock clutch packs and around the power level you are going for. They did a lot of drag racing.

Not sure how everything faired in the long run, but I want to say it went well. I also vaguely recall at least one of them having a custom TCU tune with a TON of clamping pressure

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

I do remember reading that at least one other person on stock clutches was pushing 500 without issue.

Mostic

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
VW Scirocco
I did reach Dodson. 1800 for the basic clutch upgrade. 3800 for the premium upgrade. They don't have any software to go with the upgraded.

I am using their Stage III and it works perfectly with the power level I have.

You will save money with them plus their drivability feature is very good.

Moreover, they have their own clutches if you find you still need to upgrade and you will go for their Stage 4 in this case.