GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Intercooler/Oil Cooler Sizes

Not_Sean

Hey guys, So back again with more questions...

Our Time Attack team is Sponsored by Mishimoto so busy putting together a shopping list for them.

We are def's going K04 turbo on the car, will ether be a hybrid or just one off a S3 for now, we will rebuild a forged motor later on and look at going bigger.

So between these two intercoolers which one would you say would work best with the K04 setup?

G-Line:
https://www.mishimoto.eu/mishimoto-universal-intercooler-medium.html

Z-Line:
https://www.mishimoto.eu/mishimoto-universal-intercooler-small.html

And how many row coolers do you guys recommend on the engine oil cooler and how many for the DSG oil cooler?

Thanks guys, Really don't know to much on these engines yet, but its what the driver wanted to race this season.

ErBall

Measurement Mogul
Car(s)
MQB A3
Likewise, make sure that your dsg cooler is using an external pump that runs from/to the pan. Standard oil coolers can't stand up to the extended pressure the stock DSG cooler can, so the OEM location replacement coolers tend to fail. Line pressure of 16+ bar isn't uncommon, so running from/to pan avoids this issue.

Last edited:

Not_Sean

Likewise, make sure that your dsg cooler is using an external pump that runs from/to the pan. Standard oil coolers can't stand up to the extended pressure the stock DSG cooler can, so the OEM location replacement coolers tend to fail. Line pressure of 16+ bar isn't uncommon, so running from/to pan avoids this issue.

Thanks man, yeah we are looking at an external pump, Question on that for daily driving can the pump be left off? or should I just wire it up similar to the engine oil cooler that it will activate at a certain temp.

Wouldn't Mishimoto be best able to answer that question since they designed the components?

We are chatting with them, just looking for as much info as possible

flat tire

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Electric + 135i
So between these two intercoolers which one would you say would work best with the K04 setup?

Neither. They are bar and plate (heavy) and the car already has too much weight in front. What you want is a big ass tube and fin IC. You could also run water alcohol injection but that's better avoided for simplicity's sake.

I don't have a recommendation for the DCT cooler but someone at Mishi can probably advice. Running mostly water with a little anti-corrosion additive will help whatever cooling system you have work better since water has a much higher specific heat capacity than the 50% antifreeze in your system stock.

Not_Sean

Neither. They are bar and plate (heavy) and the car already has too much weight in front. What you want is a big ass tube and fin IC. You could also run water alcohol injection but that's better avoided for simplicity's sake.

I don't have a recommendation for the DCT cooler but someone at Mishi can probably advice. Running mostly water with a little anti-corrosion additive will help whatever cooling system you have work better since water has a much higher specific heat capacity than the 50% antifreeze in your system stock.

we only run Evans Waterless coolant for the track. Know antifreeze can be a pain.

Agree with the water-alcohol, another team was running it on their Fiesta ST and they are on their second engine first went when the pump failed and the engine went. Rather avoid that as we prob won't take the car past 350bhp since its staying in street class.

Will have a look at the tube and fin offerings, haven't had any issues with the B&P on our other car, even with the front weight, (It's lugging around a 5 cylinder in the front and FWD) but yeah all to be considered.

ROH ECHT

K04 PLAY
Car(s)
2007 MKV GTI
Geez...they do not give any specs for either of their two FMIC's. I would prefer the Z-Line but I would want to add it in addition to the oem located FMIC. This would mean needing Y-pipes as Forge twin-cooler hoses are, but the Z seems a more ideal size for pairing intercoolers. I would go with the G if you do plan to eliminate the oem fmic. But again...specs would be nice to see for figuring volume. You wouldn't want to lose 500 rpm to lag waiting on spool up...especially with a K04 when you use it for that "instant" torque bomb.