GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Replacement summer tires. Need recomendations.

wireb

Just a noob with a welder
On my 08 GTI i have the factory set of Bridgestone Potenza RE050 and per the dealer they are almost in need of replacing after ~12K (I have a dedicated set of winter tires but not sure what the dealer was doing when this was a dealer car)

So starting to shop for new tires. Any recommendations for a summer only / mild all season tire?

Don't track or race the car just use it for daily driving (but sometimes it does get spirited). Looking for something with decent grip and wear.

Thanks!

P.S. for Potenza summer use only where is the safe cutoff for wet highway speeds tread depth? (just want to make sure the dealer was not yanking my chain)

SapperStryker

Yes....
Car(s)
07' GTi MKv
Im running kumho ecsta spt. And i like them i don't track either and they grip well for spirited highway driving.

Sent from my finger tips using Vietnamese voodoo to your eyeballs.

roastpuff

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
MKVI GTI
The SPT's have terrible NVH though. I dislike my set of SPT's for highway driving.

I'd get either Conti DW or DWS. Michelin Pilot Sport if you can swing it... 30,000 mile treadwear warranty on that one.

Callsign_Jester

traction is for pussies
General UHP's. Had them on my GTI and loved them.

Excellent wet and dry traction, as well as hydroplaning resistance. Also, the price is pretty hard to argue with.

wireb

Thanks for the input.

Did some shopping on tire rack and found a lot of options.

Looks like the Conti DW (no war) or DWS (50K war) both are good sellers (usually a good sign)
Which Michelin Pilot Sport (just the plan or one of the suffixed ones?)

roastpuff

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
MKVI GTI
Thanks for the input.

Did some shopping on tire rack and found a lot of options.

Looks like the Conti DW (no war) or DWS (50K war) both are good sellers (usually a good sign)
Which Michelin Pilot Sport (just the plan or one of the suffixed ones?)
The Pilot Super Sport (PSS) - the new one - has 30k warranty. Pretty good for a full-on crazy summer tire.
what is NVH?
NVH = noise, vibration, harshness - basically the comfort level of the tires.

Plus the SPT's suck in wet. I live in the Northwest, and auto-x on wet. They are terrible.

wireb

Yea those Pilot super sports look to be the way to go even at the higher price.
(still $400 than the cheapest option the dealer wanted to put on)

Looks from the reviews they handle better on both wet and dry and not as noisy as my stock R050. And with a 30K war they should outlast this set by almost 3:1.

Anyone out there have a set and any downsides to watch out for moving from RE050s?

roastpuff

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
MKVI GTI
Yea those Pilot super sports look to be the way to go even at the higher price.
(still $400 than the cheapest option the dealer wanted to put on)

Looks from the reviews they handle better on both wet and dry and not as noisy as my stock R050. And with a 30K war they should outlast this set by almost 3:1.

Anyone out there have a set and any downsides to watch out for moving from RE050s?

There should be no downsides, it's a set of Michelin Pilot Sports. :wink:

hillstrubl

Out driving Mieke...
Car(s)
2018 VW Golf GTI SE
Michelin Pilot Super Sports are amazing

LAWSON

GTI=FAST\FASTER=BIKE
Car(s)
2009 GTI