GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Bay Area Discussion thread -- Part 3

Onomarn

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2008 VW R32 4779
Blaine, you can drive it (with cash in hand or money order) =). It doesn't have the emotion key though. So it has the older key with the larger fob attachment. I don't think purchasing it was ever a good idea. Maintenance on these things are INSANE.

BTDUBS

The Interceptor
Car(s)
Fiat 500 Abarth
Buying an Aston is never a "good" idea until you find that right day to drive it. Legit that you even got one. Honest question, without taking into account all of the specialness of the Aston's pedigree, how does it compare to the Fr-S in terms of driving pleasure?

Onomarn

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2008 VW R32 4779
I like both cars very much, but when you get into the Aston its not just the driving experience, its the exhaust note and the little LCD screen that read Power, Beauty, Soul. Those things make me smile. The clutch is hard nothing like a japanese car, the Navigation is the worst I have ever used in my life, the oil change and what not at the dealership is around 2200 each time, luckily I go to another place and its only 700 (thats a bargin), and I recently got a nail in the rear tire and had to replace both tires and that was not cheap. With all that I still love it and hate to see it go. I will probably have to get something cheaper.

BlaineWasHere

I brake for apexes!
I think the NAV units in those ones is actaully a Ford unit, which is way it sucks so bad. They'll try and tell you it's based off of the Volvo system to make it sound classy... but the Volvo system of the time was the SAME SHITTY FORD ONE!

BTDUBS

The Interceptor
Car(s)
Fiat 500 Abarth
My mom made the mistake of getting that nav in a XC70. I begged her not to do it. Se hated it so much she sold it 6 months after she got it... for a Prius.

lippyjump

Ready to race!
Just testing the waters here...

I was hoping to trade my 28mm H&R sway for something a bit smaller. Anyone in the Bay Area looking to trade? I want to set my car up for the track more than an autox/tight road car.

Also... I am selling a APR Catback RSC 3" for $450 if anyone is interested please PM.

BlueWabbit

back being low.
Car(s)
2008 VW Rabbit
Lippy or anyone really,

Can you explain why you want a smaller diameter for the sway bar if you want to track the car rather than autox it? If I'm taking a turn at 40-60 MPH on the track I would want my rear tires to stick if I'm going through a turn. This is quite interesting and would like to know if anyone would like to elaborate on it some more.

supertanch

Ready to race!
^ it all depends.
Larger/firmer rear bar will make the rear of the car more responsive to steering input, which means it's easier to rotate the car. However if you dont have enough grip in the rear (tire width, camber..etc) the setup might easily brake loose the tail and make it hard to control on the track. The 28mm bar is also heavy to some extent.

However with all that aside, our cars do NEED weight in the rear.. so the weight factor is very minimal here. I rmb AWE used to win a Redline time attack with the 28mm rear bar paired with a set of PSS10s.

Personally I think a thicker real bar might help more on AutoX than tracking.