GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Linear Springs for Shocks

anti suv

I am researching suspension for my car and I am having difficulty finding linear springs. It is a dd but I would like to stiffen up the suspension about 10-20%, lower ~1 inch, quicker responding and a more planted driving feel. I would like to stay away from coilovers like I have on my mr2.

I have narrowed the dampers to koni yellows or bilstein B8(the mkvi ones, supposed to be ~20% softer than mkv).

From what I have read so far is that there are only VWR and DG springs that are linear. From what I read both are pretty soft and I am wondering if they will be too soft for what I am looking for.

The mkv DG springs don't lower the car quite as low as I would like but I thought I read that they were slightly stiffer than the VWR which would be good. Would the mkvi DG springs lower it any more?

Are there any other linear springs I should look at?

Opinions welcome, thanks.

Tadddd

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2009 UG GTI 2-Door
I am researching suspension for my car and I am having difficulty finding linear springs. It is a dd but I would like to stiffen up the suspension about 10-20%, lower ~1 inch, quicker responding and a more planted driving feel. I would like to stay away from coilovers like I have on my mr2.

I have narrowed the dampers to koni yellows or bilstein B8(the mkvi ones, supposed to be ~20% softer than mkv).

From what I have read so far is that there are only VWR and DG springs that are linear. From what I read both are pretty soft and I am wondering if they will be too soft for what I am looking for.

The mkv DG springs don't lower the car quite as low as I would like but I thought I read that they were slightly stiffer than the VWR which would be good. Would the mkvi DG springs lower it any more?

Are there any other linear springs I should look at?

Opinions welcome, thanks.

I read somewhere that the MKVI springs lower a bit more. Don't have any links to provide you with, but at least I can give you some hope of finding what you want.

Talguy

Go Kart Champion

the bruce

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Golf GTI Mk.V 2008
That doesn't help him. These race style 60 mm dia springs need a coilover or at least a
coilover conversion kit (H2sport or GC) to fit the GTI.

I'd go for DGs + Bilsteins + sways + S3 bushings + TT mounts. Reasonable cost and proven.

Why another spring thread? There are hundreds with loads of helpful content.

anti suv

I'd go for DGs + Bilsteins + sways + S3 bushings + TT mounts. Reasonable cost and proven.

Why another spring thread? There are hundreds with loads of helpful content.

Your right there are a ton of threads(I was hoping I had missed something) because unfortunately they seem to gravitate around coil overs and progressive springs. During my searches, posts by yourself, junker and MKV727 have been the most helpful due to you guys are the only one talking about linear springs.

I will more than likely go with the DGs + Bilsteins + sways + S3 bushings + TT mounts you mentioned. The only decision is which springs being DG or VWR. I would prefer the extra lowering of the VWRs but from what I read the DG are slightly stiffer which takes presidents for me.

From what I read the MKVI DG springs will lower my car a little more than the MKV DG springs. If that is correct then the MKVI DG springs sound about perfect.

I think I am just in shock about the lack of linear springs for such a popular car. I have been a car enthusiast since the mid 1990s and have had fords, nissans, toyatas and know one from those groups will touch progressive springs.

Talguy

Go Kart Champion
I think I am just in shock about the lack of linear springs for such a popular car. I have been a car enthusiast since the mid 1990s and have had fords, nissans, toyatas and know one from those groups will touch progressive springs.

It seems like the north american market gets more of the progressive setups while the european markets sees more of the linear spring setups.