GOLFMKV

VW GTI Forum / VW Rabbit Forum / VW R32 Forum / VW Golf Forum - Golfmkv.com

Register
MYGOLF garage
Timeslips
Search
Members List
Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   VW GTI Forum / VW Rabbit Forum / VW R32 Forum / VW Golf Forum - Golfmkv.com > Technical Discussions > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust

Old 12-06-2018, 02:42 PM   #1
U.G.MKV
Stealth mode

Drives: 2007 gti
MKV for 1/2 mile drags

It's been 11 years since I bought my MKV new. Now that the car is old and in need some heavy maintenance I'd like to gut the car and turn it into a half mile car. I'd like to run 150 which seems like it should be easy but I've been watching the races for a while and I don't think a simple k04 swap is going to make enough power to run 150. I need around 475/500hp to hit 150. I'm leaning towards a gt30 but that setup has been around for a while and was wondering if there were any new and interesting turbo setups out that I haven't seen yet. I plan on doing IE rods and JE pistons with a fully built head to top it off. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Old 12-06-2018, 03:33 PM   #2
GIACUser
Master Wallet Mechanic

Drives: 2008 UG EFR7163
If you are truly purpose building the car for 1/2 mile roll racing I would go for much larger turbo since all you really want is huge top end. Tons of turbo options out there. I can tell you that a project like this gets quite expensive, about the cost of a new GTI if my receipts are all here.
Old 12-06-2018, 09:18 PM   #3
U.G.MKV
Stealth mode

Drives: 2007 gti
Quote:
Originally Posted by GIACUser View Post
If you are truly purpose building the car for 1/2 mile roll racing I would go for much larger turbo since all you really want is huge top end. Tons of turbo options out there. I can tell you that a project like this gets quite expensive, about the cost of a new GTI if my receipts are all here.
I'm totally prepared for the cost and this is something I've been pondering for a while. Just need to put it all on paper before I start buying parts. What setup did you go with?
Old 12-06-2018, 09:45 PM   #4
GIACUser
Master Wallet Mechanic

Drives: 2008 UG EFR7163
Quote:
Originally Posted by U.G.MKV View Post
I'm totally prepared for the cost and this is something I've been pondering for a while. Just need to put it all on paper before I start buying parts. What setup did you go with?
Like you, had my 08 GTI since new, it was tired so I endeavored to do a complete refresh and build for road course use (track day fun).

Here is all the stuff I did
https://www.golfmkv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=201431