GOLFMKV

VW GTI Forum / VW Rabbit Forum / VW R32 Forum / VW Golf Forum - Golfmkv.com

Register
MYGOLF garage
Timeslips
Search
Members List
Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   VW GTI Forum / VW Rabbit Forum / VW R32 Forum / VW Golf Forum - Golfmkv.com > Main Topics > Tracking / Autocrossing / Performance Driving and Motorsports

Old 11-01-2014, 11:19 AM   #1
alemagno
Drag Race Newbie

Drives: Golf R MK7, GTI MK5, Passat B6
Wavetrac installed in GTI with DSG

Hi,
I thought I share a recent experience. I decided to get a Wavetrac LSD installed since the Winter is coming and I remain hopeful to improve my autocross existence in the dreadful STX class.
I considered to install it myself but finally chickened out. Finding a shop was a bit more challenging than I expected since some shops did not respond at all. I ended up with quotes from Tyrolsport and RSW. Both were initially similar in price but when I asked Tyrolsport to do it I was told that the initial quote was a mistake and the revised quote for installation was close to 50% higher. RSW honored the initial quote ($970 labor for install) and i went with them. It was a very good experience to work with them and they seem to be far more professional than many other shops around.
I had experience with a clutch-type LSD many years back but memory started to fade. Now, doing my first tests, like a swift start from waiting at a left turn, the car just takes off with virtually no slip and I started to remember what a LSD is like. I am very curious to see how it will do in the next autocross. I guess it will take some time to convince myself to accelerate much earlier coming out of turns.
Couldn't help to take a picture when it came in:
[IMG][/IMG]
alemagno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 02:19 PM   #2
miamirice
FIA GT Newbie

Drives: 07 GTI DSG
Thumbs up

Enjoy. I find driving any FWD with greater than 150 hp and no LSD a cruel joke. The wavetrac has a great reputation.

"If the car is well balanced and well driven, the actual tire steer angles will be small" - Carroll Smith.
miamirice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 09:22 AM   #3
bostonaudi
Formula 3000 Driver

Drives: 2003 BMW 540i, 1995 BMW M3
My wavetrac got 5 years of hard track use, no issues.

I'm curious to test drive a new GTI with Power pack, supposedly the new E-diff works minor miracles.

One thing I experienced with the LSD is the ability to cone the front tires quite badly with camber, especially the inside. I also tended to overdo it with throttle on corner exit. Rotate them often.
bostonaudi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 07:04 PM   #4
alemagno
Drag Race Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonaudi View Post

I'm curious to test drive a new GTI with Power pack, supposedly the new E-diff works minor miracles.

One thing I experienced with the LSD is the ability to cone the front tires quite badly with camber, especially the inside. I also tended to overdo it with throttle on corner exit. Rotate them often.
No rotation for me. I am running 255/40 at the front and 225/45 at the back. First autocross went okay. I did many mistakes but I loved the difference in traction.
Old 11-06-2014, 10:36 PM   #5
zrickety
The Fixer

Drives: 2009 GTI 6MT, 2010 GTI DSG
Beautiful piece, LSD is on my wish list.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dustinwark View Post
Smart man, unfortunately I am the friend with the tools.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GIACUser View Post
I like that it looks rather mundane and sort of a commuter car but is really a wolf in sheeps clothing.
True ESP OFF on 08.5-09 cars: http://www.golfmkv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=190211
zrickety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 04:18 AM   #6
live4something
FIA GT Newbie

Drives: 08 UG DSG
Uggggh I'm jealous. What other mods do you have, if it's in you sig I can't see it on tapatalk.
Old 11-07-2014, 07:17 PM   #7
alemagno
Drag Race Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by live4something View Post
Uggggh I'm jealous. What other mods do you have, if it's in you sig I can't see it on tapatalk.
I have no signature. I combine the LSD with a nice re-valved H&R Clubsport with stronger springs, supersport ball joints, bigger sway bars and Dunlop Direzza's Z2. This is my autocross recipe.
Old 01-31-2015, 05:02 AM   #8
Carfreak226
Detailer Extraordinaire

Drives: 07 BMP GTI
Have the Wavetrac in my DSG as well. Absolutely love it!!!
Race setup = DM K04+ file, APR HPFP, 245/40/17 tires, DSG w/Wavetrac, full race tbe, GC camber plates, Stoptech BBK, H&R 24mm rsb, AST w/Swift springs, BSH mounts, Recaro Profi's w/rear seat delete, Nardi 350mm, IE FSD IC, Voltphreaks batt, W.A.L.K., inlet/discharge pipes, BFI CC, EVOMS CAI, PTP Turbo Blanket, Golf R Map, RS4 RV, Mocal oil cooler.
Carfreak226 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2018, 01:26 PM   #9
Aluizio

Drives: mk7 gti
Hi,

I'm planning to intall a Wavetrac LSD on my DSG gti.

What oil are you using on your cars?
Aluizio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 06:26 PM   #10
somerset9
Go Kart Champion

Drives: 2007 UG GTI
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aluizio View Post
Hi,

For transmission oil, most manual trans guys go with either OEM or Motul. I'm not sure what's out there for DSG.

For engine oil, I use Motul 8100 during the oil change. I top off with whatever VW 502 oil is around, as I just use the full 5L each change.

Just go with any VW 502 oil is available around you. I have a local Motul dealer, so I end up paying only $10 more per oil change. If I had to pay a premium of over $20 over Castrol/Pennzoil/Mobil, I'd say no thanks
somerset9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 02:03 AM   #11
golfballer78
FIA World Rally Car Champion

Drives: 08'.:R32
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonaudi View Post

I read about some testing on that. The electro-lock diff will perform like a mechanical, however he said the response is a little laggy. Maybe software or something fixes that? I liked the peloquin on my old mk3 VR. I would go wave track on this .:R.
golfballer78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2018, 01:28 AM   #12
alemagno
Drag Race Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aluizio View Post
Hi,

I still have my GTI with Wavetrac and it still works fine. Till date I have only used the stock transmission fluid. I have tracked this car for a little more than two seasons and had no issues.