GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV


  VW GTI Forum / VW Rabbit Forum / VW R32 Forum / VW Golf Forum - Golfmkv.com


 
Register
MYGOLF garage
Timeslips
Search
Members List
Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read



Go Back   VW GTI Forum / VW Rabbit Forum / VW R32 Forum / VW Golf Forum - Golfmkv.com > Technical Discussions > Wheels / Tires / Suspension / Brakes sponsored by The Tire Rack

Support GolfMKV by clicking this link to do your tirerack shopping, THANKS!


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 08-13-2019, 12:20 AM   #1
Perpetuus
Data Encryption
 
Perpetuus's Avatar
 
Drives: 07 GTI MK5 6MT
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: In my garage
Posts: 869
Lightbulb Your experience with subframe collars?

Although the clunking had gone away completely after installing my Tyrolsport subframe collars, I struggled and fought with the now uneven camber between my left and right front wheels. For the longest time (and after many alignment attempts), I believed that one of my spindles were bent, but this was not the case.

Well, turns out that the collars had physically shifted my subframe more to the driver's side - about 1 degree more. This had caused me to lose about 0.4 degrees of front camber on each front wheel since I have to even out the left and right front camber settings to prevent the car from pulling.

Current camber in the front is: -2.1 / -2.1 degrees
Rear camber is now -1.2 / -1.2 degrees

However, I am not happy with this setup and would love to return to my previous -2.5 front and -1.7 rear camber, which was close to perfect for me.

Are the subframe collars neccessary to reduce clunk? Could I simply install VW's latest subframe bolts and spacers and get rid of the clunk as well as regain my lost camber?

If not, what other options do I have?
__________________
÷hlins | H2 Sport | Wagner Tuning | APR | AWE | VF Engineering | O.Z. | Wavetrac | VW Racing | H&R | Unitronic 2+ | DLI Teknik
Perpetuus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 12:29 AM   #2
snobrdrdan
former GTI owner
 
snobrdrdan's Avatar
 
Drives: no VW
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Southeast Michigan
Posts: 5,117
Send a message via AIM to snobrdrdan
I don't see how you're going to gain camber from removing the collars.

The subframe can just be shifted to even out the camber between the two sides...it can't/won't add any extra camber.

And with it being and equal -2.1 right now...I'd leave it, that's solid.

If you remove them, you could be at -1.7 on one side and -2.5 on the other..for example. And they shift it back and you're back to the -2.1 on each side again.

Side note: whoever did the alignments...those numbers could be skewed depending on if they mounted the sensor to the wheel itself or around the tire and/or also using different equipment (if you didn't go to the same shop)
Just saying
snobrdrdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 01:39 AM   #3
Perpetuus
Data Encryption
 
Perpetuus's Avatar
 
Drives: 07 GTI MK5 6MT
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: In my garage
Posts: 869
Quote:
Originally Posted by snobrdrdan View Post
I don't see how you're going to gain camber from removing the collars.

The subframe can just be shifted to even out the camber between the two sides...it can't/won't add any extra camber.

And with it being and equal -2.1 right now...I'd leave it, that's solid.

If you remove them, you could be at -1.7 on one side and -2.5 on the other..for example. And they shift it back and you're back to the -2.1 on each side again.

Side note: whoever did the alignments...those numbers could be skewed depending on if they mounted the sensor to the wheel itself or around the tire and/or also using different equipment (if you didn't go to the same shop)
Just saying
I wish -2.1 is enough but it's not giving me a balanced setup since I have to reduce rear camber accordingly too.

Basically, my camber plates allow -2.5 max per side, which I had set to before. However, with the Tyrolsport subframe collars, the subframe is no longer centrally located (perhaps the subframe holes are not precise enough). What I mean is that the subframe is now physically shifted to the passenger side. This shift may be small, but it's enough to change the angles of the front dampers.

Alignment after the Tyrolsport collars gave something like -3 camber on right front and -2.3 camber on left front because of this. I tried 5 separate alignments and even bought brand new spindles but no changes at all. Car has not been in any accidents. When I dialed down the side with -3 camber by 1 degree, I arrived at -2.1/-2.1. (This proves that the subframe is not longer centred with the collars)

I suppose I can buy camber plates that have more adjustment, but honestly it feels wasteful because it's an issue with the subframe collars and not with anything else.

If I remove the collars, the subframe will shift back to its natural resting position since it's no longer locked down by the subframe collars. This will equalize left and right camber back to -2.5/-2.5 after adjustment. Just not sure that I will hear any clunks if I use the VW spacers and Audi subframe bolts.
__________________
÷hlins | H2 Sport | Wagner Tuning | APR | AWE | VF Engineering | O.Z. | Wavetrac | VW Racing | H&R | Unitronic 2+ | DLI Teknik
Perpetuus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 08:06 AM   #4
clownish
just clowning around
 
clownish's Avatar
 
Drives: Mk5 R32
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Ohio
Posts: 398
Your experience with subframe collars?

There are little Audi collars that work. I buy and replace them once a year and they cost maybe twenty bucks. They donít lock down the subframe at all, they just help guide the subframe. Itís supposed to move to help align the car as designed.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
__________________
clownish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2019, 02:08 AM   #5
snobrdrdan
former GTI owner
 
snobrdrdan's Avatar
 
Drives: no VW
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Southeast Michigan
Posts: 5,117
Send a message via AIM to snobrdrdan
Oh, you never mentioned camber plates...that's where you had/gained more adjustment.

Yeah you could try the OEM bolts instead I suppose...nothing to lose there, they're cheap. That is, if you REALLY need that extra camber
snobrdrdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2019, 11:52 PM   #6
Perpetuus
Data Encryption
 
Perpetuus's Avatar
 
Drives: 07 GTI MK5 6MT
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: In my garage
Posts: 869
Quote:
Originally Posted by clownish View Post
There are little Audi collars that work. I buy and replace them once a year and they cost maybe twenty bucks. They donít lock down the subframe at all, they just help guide the subframe. Itís supposed to move to help align the car as designed.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks! Are these the ones? Why do they need to be replaced once a year?

https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/aud...-vw-7m3499349a

__________________
÷hlins | H2 Sport | Wagner Tuning | APR | AWE | VF Engineering | O.Z. | Wavetrac | VW Racing | H&R | Unitronic 2+ | DLI Teknik
Perpetuus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2019, 11:54 PM   #7
Perpetuus
Data Encryption
 
Perpetuus's Avatar
 
Drives: 07 GTI MK5 6MT
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: In my garage
Posts: 869
Quote:
Originally Posted by snobrdrdan View Post
Oh, you never mentioned camber plates...that's where you had/gained more adjustment.

Yeah you could try the OEM bolts instead I suppose...nothing to lose there, they're cheap. That is, if you REALLY need that extra camber
Actually, I would be happy to try another solution to achieve the -2.5 front camber that I am happy with. Is this something I can get by running the TT front control arms? I recall reading -2.7 degrees is what it can be adjust to max (maybe I am mistaken).
__________________
÷hlins | H2 Sport | Wagner Tuning | APR | AWE | VF Engineering | O.Z. | Wavetrac | VW Racing | H&R | Unitronic 2+ | DLI Teknik
Perpetuus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 08:58 AM   #8
clownish
just clowning around
 
clownish's Avatar
 
Drives: Mk5 R32
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Ohio
Posts: 398
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perpetuus View Post
Thanks! Are these the ones? Why do they need to be replaced once a year?



https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/aud...-vw-7m3499349a





They start moving again occasionally - Iíve been replacing them once that happens - those are the ones. I do it annually just so I remember.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
__________________
clownish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 11:34 AM   #9
ChrisAttebery
Passed Driver's Ed
 
Drives: 2011 GTI
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: Gilroy, CA
Posts: 7
You had 2.5 degrees per side before you installed the collars? Was that with both camber plates maxed out? On my Mk6 I found that 2.2 degrees was the max I could get out of the GC plates. That seems to be average among the camber plate users. You can add the SuperPro Roll Control ball joints to get another .5 degrees or so.

The subframe collars have a 16mm shoulder and the bolts are 12mm. That means that the subframe can only move a total of 4mm. Converted to inches that's .158". The distance from the ball joint to the camber plate is 25.5". That comes out to .355 degrees of total adjustment. I seriously doubt that the subframes are drilled that poorly though. Most likely you'll get .1 degrees of adjustment side to side.
ChrisAttebery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 11:38 AM   #10
ChrisAttebery
Passed Driver's Ed
 
Drives: 2011 GTI
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: Gilroy, CA
Posts: 7
Second question. Are you sure you need 2.7" degrees of camber? Are you running R comps or street tires? From what I have read going over 2 degrees of camber with street tires will actually reduce overall traction. Most of the time you're going to be driving straight. You don't want to optimize cornering but kill your acceleration out of the corners. There's a balance.
ChrisAttebery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2019, 11:36 PM   #11
Perpetuus
Data Encryption
 
Perpetuus's Avatar
 
Drives: 07 GTI MK5 6MT
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: In my garage
Posts: 869
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisAttebery View Post
You had 2.5 degrees per side before you installed the collars? Was that with both camber plates maxed out? On my Mk6 I found that 2.2 degrees was the max I could get out of the GC plates. That seems to be average among the camber plate users. You can add the SuperPro Roll Control ball joints to get another .5 degrees or so.

The subframe collars have a 16mm shoulder and the bolts are 12mm. That means that the subframe can only move a total of 4mm. Converted to inches that's .158". The distance from the ball joint to the camber plate is 25.5". That comes out to .355 degrees of total adjustment. I seriously doubt that the subframes are drilled that poorly though. Most likely you'll get .1 degrees of adjustment side to side.
That's right, I had -2.5 degrees of camber up front before installing the collars. The camber plates had hard settings where I had to insert and tighten the screws at detents of 0.25 degrees. These camber plates were exact and not meant to be adjusted or easily had camber settings drift like with the sliding adjustment type of camber plates.

What it came down to was that the collars pushed my subframe more towards the right front side of the car. The net effect gave me close to -3.0 degrees of camber on one side and something like -2.1 degrees on the other, which was totally unacceptable and gave me lots of torque steer not experienced before.

I believe that a different subframe would yield slightly different settings. Remember, these subframes were not manufactured to exactly locate the suspension, as you mentioned. So tolerances are there.
__________________
÷hlins | H2 Sport | Wagner Tuning | APR | AWE | VF Engineering | O.Z. | Wavetrac | VW Racing | H&R | Unitronic 2+ | DLI Teknik
Perpetuus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2019, 11:48 PM   #12
Perpetuus
Data Encryption
 
Perpetuus's Avatar
 
Drives: 07 GTI MK5 6MT
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: In my garage
Posts: 869
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisAttebery View Post
Second question. Are you sure you need 2.7" degrees of camber? Are you running R comps or street tires? From what I have read going over 2 degrees of camber with street tires will actually reduce overall traction. Most of the time you're going to be driving straight. You don't want to optimize cornering but kill your acceleration out of the corners. There's a balance.
I am looking to restore my -2.5 degrees of camber up front and -1.7 degrees of camber rear.

Suspension setups differ wildly based on driver preferences, driving style, and suspension parameters, so it's hard for me to give any precise suggestion.

However, items that come into play for my setup are:

-H&R 26mm front and 22mm rear swaybars
This helps the car settle into a corner more quickly and allows the car to hold its line with precision but at the expense of overloading the outside tires at the same given speed where the OE swaybars would still permit more grip for the outside tires. It's a tradeoff between reaching the cornering grip limit quicker by providing more turn-in grip.

-Wavetrac LSD
Allows me to marginally improve the cornering balance of the car under power and also permits earlier throttle on corner exits.

-Ohlins R&T coilovers
Springs rates are 350 lb/in all around. That's 2x of OE setup, and likely more than that in the rear. This will affect the balance of the car differently compared to other coilover or sport springs.

I am very happy with my -2.5 front and -1.7 rear setup. This setup was highly recommended by H2Sport too when they were around. The car corners quite flat since spring rates are 2x of stock and swaybars add additional lateral stiffness under load to further enhance that.

I have considered SuperPro ball joints but am also not convinced that they are the best solution.

McPherson strut design necessitates a loss of camber during cornering. There is no camber gain during cornering whatsoever. Running more camber is a crutch to improve cornering grip at the expense of straight line grip. If the car was running double wishbone suspension, then less camber is needed since the suspension geometry is designed to keep the outside tire as perpendicular as possible to the pavement during cornering, which is something that McPherson design cannot do. Remember, the key here is static camber, and it's only a vehicle aid for cornering on cars with less than ideal suspension choices/compromises.

The tires I am running are Pilot Super Sports at 225/40/18 size.

Actually, I am more interested in having a machine shop create an improved front spindle so that I can run less sway bar. Big swaybars totally ruin the smoothness of the Ohlins.
__________________
÷hlins | H2 Sport | Wagner Tuning | APR | AWE | VF Engineering | O.Z. | Wavetrac | VW Racing | H&R | Unitronic 2+ | DLI Teknik
Perpetuus is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:57 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.