GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

SuperSkyline89's Timeline

Soysauce

Nooob
Car(s)
'07 Gti
I found that 3m’s G10 white vinyl wrap matches candy white a lot better than white Plasti dip, tried both on the backing of my rear vw badge. Though it doesn’t seem like it’s a big priority to you, if it were I’m sure you’d paint it actual candy white. Love following this thread, and can’t wait to see it putting down some lap times

SuperSkyline89

Das Schiesse
Car(s)
2008 CW GTI
I found that 3m’s G10 white vinyl wrap matches candy white a lot better than white Plasti dip, tried both on the backing of my rear vw badge. Though it doesn’t seem like it’s a big priority to you, if it were I’m sure you’d paint it actual candy white. Love following this thread, and can’t wait to see it putting down some lap times

Thanks, I'm really looking forward to getting out on the track this season. I knocked a lot of time off my laps last season and with the stuff I'm doing to the car this year I should be able to fine tune the balance to get a bunch more time. Despite my lack of power I still feel like there's a lot of potential to unlock in myself and my car.

I'm leaning away from actual paint because the vent is fibreglass and I'm afraid the paint will just crack once the rivets bend the vent during the install. I figure Plasti-Dip will flex better and keep the vent from rubbing through the paint too much

Excuse the ignorance, where does one get something like that?

I got mine from a guy named Ken Suen, @bigredksr on Instagram. He's run Honda's in Global Time Attack, helps out with some teams like the Snail Performance cars, and makes some custom aero pieces

SuperSkyline89

Das Schiesse
Car(s)
2008 CW GTI
Made some more progress. I got a reply email from KW saying that there shouldn't be any issues running 300b front springs and 275lb rear springs on my VIII's. They said those numbers are as stiff as they'd want to push them without re-valving though, which they don't offer themselves. They also said I'll need new top mounts for the rear. I had wanted to get an order in with KW but I got to my mechanic's shop just after he left to take care of something so I'll have to do it this week. Long term the day will come when I need something stiffer so KW Clubsports are probably where I'll go down the road.

I was able to pick up my new rear tires though because he picked them up from his tire supplier earlier in the week. I'm sticking with Hankook (R-S4's instead of R-S3's now) because I want to see how much I can get out of them with a stiffer front end. My R-S3's still have plenty of tread on them but the outer edges are destroyed. My hope with the new tires is to get the front end set up to use the full contact patch better. I still have to wait for the front tires because the size I want isn't being released by Hankook until April 1st but I'm on the waiting list so hopefully it doesn't become an issue.

Aside from the tires I did a little more interior work which I haven't taken pictures of yet but I'll do that tomorrow. I drilled out the rivets holding the front speakers into the doors and pulled the speakers out. I'll probably cover up the holes just to clean it up a bit. Then I cut out some threaded studs sticking out of the floorpan. They're used to hold the wires that normally run under the carpet and insulation but since I took all of that out they don't let my floor mats sit flush. When I took the carpet out I also cut out the mat anchors so I'm actually going to glue them to the floor tomorrow so I can still have mats. With the car still being street driven I don't want to go bare floor pans yet.

The plan for tomorrow is to pull the door warning lights out, clean up some wiring, Plasti-Dip my hood vent, and wrapping my helmet visor with some reflective yellow tint that just showed up in the mail

Last edited:

inverse_square

Passed Driver's Ed
I got mine from a guy named Ken Suen, @bigredksr on Instagram. He's run Honda's in Global Time Attack, helps out with some teams like the Snail Performance cars, and makes some custom aero pieces

Thank you. And thank you for this thread, I very much enjoy it!

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Joshohol

Go Kart Champion
You like those hankooks? I can lose grip at 100mph with all my front end parts and my lsd. I run bfg gforce comp2s

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

SuperSkyline89

Das Schiesse
Car(s)
2008 CW GTI
Thank you. And thank you for this thread, I very much enjoy it!

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Happy to help. And I'm glad you like my thread. Despite this site being pretty quiet nowadays I like keeping this record of what I've done. I've gotten a lot of great advice and inspiration here from people commenting and from going through other peoples threads. I've even met people locally that aren't active members but they read the forums as guests a few times. That's an interesting experience because to me they're complete strangers but they know so much about my car and have very specific questions about certain mods.

You like those hankooks? I can lose grip at 100mph with all my front end parts and my lsd. I run bfg gforce comp2s

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Love them. I don't have any experience with the Comp 2's but if they're anything like the Michelin PSS the Hankook's are a huge step up. I went from the stock Continental all seasons to PSS and it felt like the car was on rails. The change to R-S3's was just as drastic. I found the PSS sidewall to be way too soft to the point that I was running 50psi. The Hankook sidewall is so stiff I'm running 32psi hot now. It does make for a much harsher ride though. Also much louder, you get a constant hum like you're in an airplane.

They are more heat sensitive so my first couple laps I get wheel lockup under braking. Once they're hot though they're like glue. When I went to Mosport GP I touched a tire after coming off the track and my hand turned black. The best part though is how well they wear, I ran my R-S3's for three years and if it wasn't for the outer edges being done I'd keep running them. Granted I'm only just starting to truly push my car but everyone I've talked to agrees they last far longer than any other 200 or less treadwear tire. They've actually taken far more abuse than my PSS did, they got so overwhelmed they literally fell apart in a year.

The biggest danger is weather. They do fine in the rain but cold makes them very, very dangerous. Under 10 Celsius the grip drops off severely, especially if it's wet. I've done dry 15 Celsius track days and they get up to temp fine but on the road you need to be careful. I've also done a wet 5 Celsius track day and they felt like hockey pucks.

I know people running Trofeo R's and RE71R's, both of which are a solid two seconds a lap quicker around Cayuga than the Hankooks, but these outlive them many times over. They also require a lot more heat and in the case of the RE71R overheat very quickly too. The R-S3/4 kind of just take whatever you throw at them

SuperSkyline89

Das Schiesse
Car(s)
2008 CW GTI
Got a bunch of work done on the car today. Started by removing the door warning lights. The lights plug into the main door harness with two pins so it was just a matter of pulling them out. Then I spent some time cleaning the doors of rust proofing residue and pulling out some clips left over from the door cards. Each door had three of the clips in the bottom of this picture with the black gaskets around them. The gaskets came off pretty easy but the clips themselves were a royal pain in the ass. I ended up smashing a small chisel into them from either side and ripping them out. There was a ring of surface rust left behind so I used a microfiber towel and a dab of polishing compound to clean it up.

Next was cleaning up my dash-cam wiring. Being an aftermarket installation the interior trim was all that was holding them in place so with the interior stripped I had wires hanging from the roof all over the car. I ordered a bag of adhesive cable clips off Amazon and tucked the wires up and out of the way. The front camera wires ran across where the driver side sun visor was so I decided to undo what I did earlier and just take both visors out. The wires running to the rear camera are stuck to the roof of the car behind the curtain airbag.

I got a decent layer of Plasti-Dip on the underside of my hood vent but had constant problems getting it to spray properly because it's still under 10 Celsius here right now. I had hoped I'd get the whole vent done so I might try some more later tonight once the can has a chance to warm up. Last was the floor mat anchors. I got all four Gorilla Glue'd to the floor, put the mats in, and put some heavy things over top of the anchors to help it set. It should set in 24 hours but I'm not planning to touch the car during the week right now so I might just leave it until the weekend

As for my helmet visor, I'm going to try tinting it tonight. I picked up some window tint application spray from Home Depot and a scalpel set off Amazon so I'm all set to give it a try. I'll post some photos of the results later

SuperSkyline89

Das Schiesse
Car(s)
2008 CW GTI
I'm a month away from hitting the track and it's almost time for the professionals to get their hands back on the car. I'm taking Monday off from work to call a flatbed and have it dropped off. I stopped by the shop to give my mechanic a list of things that need to be done to get the car ready to run and drive, plus a list of additional things that need to be done in the following weeks.

Some 034 Motorsports Subframe Mounts came in this week so I brought them home to take a closer look at them. The Motorsport Engine and Transmission Mounts should be here next week. I was originally thinking of going with the Street Density mounts but decided I'd just end up going to the proper stuff eventually so I might as well save my future self the money and get them now.

I'm working on a livery for this year with my best friend who happens to be a graphic designer but I'm not going to share that until it's done and on the car. All I'll say is it's either going to make you laugh with childish glee or make you want to throw up. I'm hoping the former. Until then here's a few shots I took of the 034 Dogbone and Subframe Mounts on my bathroom floor.

Last edited:

SuperSkyline89

Das Schiesse
Car(s)
2008 CW GTI
Quick little update, I weighed the last few things that I took out of the car:

Sun Visors - 1lb (x2)
Front Speakers - 1.5lbs (x2)
Door Cards - 10lbs (x2)

SuperSkyline89

Das Schiesse
Car(s)
2008 CW GTI
Let me know what you think about the dogbone and pucks, I'm like 99% sure I'm going this route with the racecar but just want one person's feedback if it's worth it or not and I trust your opinion.

I asked my mechanic if he had ever put these in other customers cars and he has. I'll get his thoughts for you tomorrow because it might be a couple weeks before I have the mounts thrown in.

He hasn't installed the Motorsport Engine and Transmission mounts in any cars yet though, just the Street Density mounts. That should be interesting. I've been in a friend's drag Civic that was solid mounted and it was horrifying. These aren't solid but they do warn they're not meant for street cars on the website.

SuperSkyline89

Das Schiesse
Car(s)
2008 CW GTI
My linear springs are on order now. We spoke to a KW rep over the phone on Friday and were given the part numbers to give to our local supplier. The rep was very surprised when he heard these were for a Golf but he was very helpful and, importantly for me, very informed on the product. He gave us the dimensions and spring rates and some advice on what we'd need to do to make the springs fit my dampers. I've been a big fan of KW since I got my coilovers and every time I deal with them it just reinforces that feeling. I had originally asked about 300lb/in front springs and 275lb/in rear springs but unfortunately those exact rates weren't available so I ordered the closest they could offer. If anyone's wondering, this is the info on the springs:

Front Springs - P/N: 60110074
https://www.kwsuspensions.net/catalogsearch/result?q=60110074
250mm Long, 61mm I.D.
11.25mm Wire Diameter
60 N/mm (~343 lb/in) Spring Rate

Rear Springs - P/N: 60110073
https://www.kwsuspensions.net/catalogsearch/result?q=60110073
250mm Long, 61mm I.D.
10.75mm Wire Diameter
50 N/mm (~286 lb/in) Spring Rate

The complication comes with the top mounts. The progressive springs that come with the VIII coilovers have a larger coil diameter so there's no "bolt-on" solution for fitting these race springs to them. Thankfully my mechanic is a fabricator so he'll be making some custom top mounts to adapt the springs to the dampers.

The rear springs are in stock right now in California but the fronts will have to be made in Germany and shipped from there so will take longer. Regardless I'm just glad they're in motion now because that was my biggest concern at the moment. Having those springs on the car is critical to me dialing in my suspension this year to use the full contact patch of my new tires as evenly as possible. Until I have the springs on the car I'm not going to have the tires mounted so I'll be running on my R-S3's on the 21st. By the time the time attack season starts I should be all set though.

Let me know what you think about the dogbone and pucks, I'm like 99% sure I'm going this route with the racecar but just want one person's feedback if it's worth it or not and I trust your opinion.

P.S. I didn't get a chance to get my mechanic's thoughts on the mounts yet. We got so wrapped up in the phone call with KW and some other things it slipped my mind. I'm working on a list of stuff for myself to refer to when I pick up the car this week though so I'll put that on there and get you some info

SuperSkyline89

Das Schiesse
Car(s)
2008 CW GTI

I asked my mechanic about the dogbone and pucks. He said it's essentially the same benefits as the Whiteline Anti-Lift Kit just achieved in a different way. Normally under power the engine will want to rock back and forth and the mounts will limit that. You'll get quicker response to the throttle, less wheel hop, and more direct power delivery to the ground.

My mechanic has a Fahrenheit GTI with 500hp at the wheels right now and he has those mounts plus the Street Density Engine and Transmission Mounts. He only had the Dogbone mounts before going big turbo though and said it made a huge difference in the car's initial response to throttle.

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Car(s)
MK 6 GolfR
Looks like things are coming along nicely.

Did you get the 034 billet engine/trans mounts. If so, I will be interested to hear how you feel about them. I have them and the arm and the pucks. Before we put the front end back on I tried to move the motor to see if I could get it to rock any at all, zero movement. Between these mounts, the spherical joints in the front tubulars, the adj rear control arms and the rear trailing arms combined with the removal of the balance shafts this will probably shake a bit. My car is still weeks away from running.