GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Cheapest and easiest way to get VAG COM? USB.

aircanman

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
Golf 07 TDi
Hey all, I need to do some code reading on my car and was wondering what the cheapest way is to get vag com usb system?

Is it as simple as buying a cable and disc from ebay and installing on a windows machine?

Help greatly appreciated.

JetTurbo

geezer
Car(s)
2018 GTi Autobahn 6M
Hey all, I need to do some code reading on my car and was wondering what the cheapest way is to get vag com usb system?

Is it as simple as buying a cable and disc from ebay and installing on a windows machine?

Help greatly appreciated.
Probably not,
most of the eBay stuff relies on the shareware version of VAG-COM
which does not work on the mk5.
Those low cost offerings do not include the software license
for the full version of VAG-COM.
They will probably still work with OBD-II functions,
which are limited to a subset of the ECU controller only,
none of the other controllers on the car.

The cable from Ross-Tech is not just a cable,
it also integrates a software protection key (dongle)
that enables the full version of the software.
So the cable is both the interface and the software license combined.
i.e. great software needs to be paid for so they can continue to maintain it.
Ross-Tech has done a good job, I bought my license 11 years ago
and still enjoy modern up-to-date solid software for the outlay.

The least expensive way is a cable specifically for a mk5 and newer can-buss cars.
VCDS License with Micro-CAN Interface

The more expensive cable works with both the newer can-bus cars
and pre-can-bus cars dating back to 1996.
with additional accessories, even older cars.
the mk4 is in this category.
VCDS License with HEX-USB+CAN Interface

About the only way you are going to save any $
is to purchase a used Ross-Tech Cable/license
from someone in the forum clasiffieds.

Fernas

Mexibahn Native
Car(s)
MKV GLI "Red Baron"
Dont tell anyone, but the ebay versions do work, you just need to buy one that is USB HEX (or something like that) and ask the vendor if it works with MKV´s, thing is, is not well seen here to talk about them knock off´s, ask about goodspeed "twin intercooler" and you will see....

ShadowClon3

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2007 GTI MKV

Fernas

Mexibahn Native
Car(s)
MKV GLI "Red Baron"
http://www.dealextreme.com/p/vag-com-vcds-11-10-diagnostic-cable-138cm-cable-length-134099?item=2

use only vcds that come with the cable meaning ver 11.10 , and don't use the cable and the internet at the same time(Wi-Fi OFF) or your cable won't work ever again.

*i write from personal experience.
**the link is just an for example.
***i have ver10.6 of this chines cable.

Thats the safe way, you need to block any type of updates from VCDS and you will be fine.

**also use the provided software only, IF, you are using x64 windows and the CD you have is a 32bits version, download Ross-tech software, install, extract the drivers, uninstall, and install the CD version, thing is, 32bits programs works, drivers don´t.**

aircanman

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
Golf 07 TDi
Thats the safe way, you need to block any type of updates from VCDS and you will be fine.

**also use the provided software only, IF, you are using x64 windows and the CD you have is a 32bits version, download Ross-tech software, install, extract the drivers, uninstall, and install the CD version, thing is, 32bits programs works, drivers don´t.**

Thanks for the help, looks like it may be a little too much for me, I am quite advanced computer wise but I don't want to break my car.

I have issues with misfiring and I know my dealer will just clear the codes and say it is ok, they have done it before.

Theresias

The cheapest way would be a VCDS License in combination with a Micro-CAN interface hardware which you can purchase locally from our distributors in the UK. The mentioned chinese cables are illegal clones/copies which besides the obvious theft are limited to older versions and blacklisted. You certainly can block updates but in the end you are stealing our work no matter what. Some seem to feel that is OK, but reality is if we'd steal your work you would be pissed too.

beauy46

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2009 TR GTI

The Cable works. But not offered on Amazon anymore

aircanman

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
Golf 07 TDi
The cheapest way would be a VCDS License in combination with a Micro-CAN interface hardware which you can purchase locally from our distributors in the UK. The mentioned chinese cables are illegal clones/copies which besides the obvious theft are limited to older versions and blacklisted. You certainly can block updates but in the end you are stealing our work no matter what. Some seem to feel that is OK, but reality is if we'd steal your work you would be pissed too.

I appreciate your input, could you supply me with a price and perhaps a link to where I can buy it from ?

lightningjack

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
09 GTI
Check the classifieds on the forum too. People sell them all the time, but you have to be quick to get one if it's offered for a good price.

It's a worthwhile investment either way. When you figure what a dealer would charge you for any type of diagnostics, use this thing 2-3 times and you're ahead.

SuperchargedK20Z3

Passed Driver's Ed

Britishav8tor

Ready to race!
A little off topic but thought I would add this seeing as I just had a run in with Ross Tech.
If you buy a authentic micro-can cable from ross-tech it will not let you erase DTC's from the car. When you try it says *warning you must upgrade to the professional cable* When I saw this I was like WTF??? I called and sure enough the micro can cable is only really good for reading data and logging not much else and I was told that for $130 I could upgrade ... wait WTF??? The mirco can is $250 and the pro cable is $350 that's $100 but they want $130 to upgrade?? Bullshit!! If I wanted to return there is a 20% restock fee, after talking some more it turns out that the reason is that each cable is individual licensed and can never be resold and they have "about 5000" in a closet at the shop .... WTF??? I was then told that is "well documented on the site that micro can doesn't erase DTC's .... again WTF it is not! The girl at Ross-tech said she would see if I could get it exchange at a cost of just the $100 plus shipping ($17) if that falls through I'm stuck with a cable that good at reading codes but if I want to erase then then I have to pull the battery or use my APR erase code function (which only clears Engine module codes). GRRR

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
A little off topic but thought I would add this seeing as I just had a run in with Ross Tech.
If you buy a authentic micro-can cable from ross-tech it will not let you erase DTC's from the car. When you try it says *warning you must upgrade to the professional cable* When I saw this I was like WTF??? I called and sure enough the micro can cable is only really good for reading data and logging not much else and I was told that for $130 I could upgrade ... wait WTF??? The mirco can is $250 and the pro cable is $350 that's $100 but they want $130 to upgrade?? Bullshit!! If I wanted to return there is a 20% restock fee, after talking some more it turns out that the reason is that each cable is individual licensed and can never be resold and they have "about 5000" in a closet at the shop .... WTF??? I was then told that is "well documented on the site that micro can doesn't erase DTC's .... again WTF it is not! The girl at Ross-tech said she would see if I could get it exchange at a cost of just the $100 plus shipping ($17) if that falls through I'm stuck with a cable that good at reading codes but if I want to erase then then I have to pull the battery or use my APR erase code function (which only clears Engine module codes). GRRR

Since when? I don't have problems with my "$250" cable from R-T.

JetTurbo

geezer
Car(s)
2018 GTi Autobahn 6M
Since when? I don't have problems with my "$250" cable form R-T.
x2
The comments would be accurate for a non-Ross Tech cable, not the Ross-Tech Micro-CAN.
You definitely have what you need to erase codes with a legit Micro-CAN cable.

If you are not the original purchaser, Yes, they do charge a $99 fee
to transfer a license to a new owner,
but that should not prevent the cable from working,
it is related to living within the letter of the license agreement
and receiving direct customer support.

Never heard of a cable upgrade fee if you are starting with a Micro-CAN,
seems about what they charge to swap / replace a malfunctioning cable,
last time I checked was 2010 (bought my cable in 2005).

On 22–Sep–10 11:04 AM, "Andy Smith" <support@ross-tech.com> - wrote:

Jim,

We can offer you a flat rate repair for $129 plus shipping.
If you'd prefer to have us send the new one to you right away, then
there would be a pre-authorized core charge to be canceled as long as we
receive the old one within 4 weeks