GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Tire Pressures

What tire pressures do you guys use for front and back on long road trips? (500+ miles) In cold weather would it make more sense to use a pound or 2 less than max because the tires heat up and the air expands?

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
That's probably not a good question to ask because many people have different preferences. You can't go wrong if you stick with the recommended pressures on the decal when the tires are COLD. Never adjust tire pressures just because it's cold or hot outside. Fill them with the pressure on the decal when cold. The tires will take care of themselves.

Tires will heat up regardless of the outside temperature when you drive. Probably about 3 PSI. Fronts heat up more unless you're driving/cruising in a straight line. And if the sun is always on one side of the car they heat up more. It's not possible to keep them where they "should" be. You're not supposed to compensate. If you're racing on an oval or autocross you do, but that's another story.

Personally, I lower them for a better ride.

Last edited:

koyhis

AAAA!
in cold weather you need more pressure 10˚c less = 0.1bar more

also when its cold i dont think the tires really heat up ??

WickedLou9

I'm a geek
Car(s)
2008 GTI
Over inflation is not much of a risk. Tires can withstand significant pressure without failing. they are usually hydro tested well over 100psi. the problem is that when you over inflate the tire rounds out, gets very stiff and you get poor tire wear. I would run 35-38psi measured when cold.

NewToVW

Automotive Ninja
If you're still on the original tires, go with the door jamb recommended pressure.

Nazty Nate

Ready to race!
I run about ~36-38 psi on all 4 wheels (thats measured cold), recommended according to vw on my doorjam is 35.

TheeFT

That One Guy
Car(s)
Germans
for daily driving i run 36 because the tires aren't heating up enough in stop in go traffic like city driving. for longer trips, like turnpike, i like to run a 34 because they the tire will heat up and expand the air inside, maximum grip occurs at 36psi, so when track days or anything like that 32psi giving me 4psi to expand but each tire expands differently some it could expand only 2psi under heat so you would want to run a 34 to achieve 36

Another thing... I keep getting a low tire pressure warning every time I start the car and a warning light stays on all the time alerting me to the "problem." I put problem in "" because I have checked and rechecked the tires numerous times in numerous conditions and the pressure is never more than 1 lb less than the recommended setting on the door. Do I have to bring it in to the dealership to clear the "fault?" (I don't have access to Vag-Com)

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
Another thing... I keep getting a low tire pressure warning every time I start the car and a warning light stays on all the time alerting me to the "problem." I put problem in "" because I have checked and rechecked the tires numerous times in numerous conditions and the pressure is never more than 1 lb less than the recommended setting on the door. Do I have to bring it in to the dealership to clear the "fault?" (I don't have access to Vag-Com)

Pump the tires up to 45 or 50 and see if the light goes out. If so, bleed them back down to 38. They not that sensitive, they can't read within a few pounds.

If that doesn't work you may need a new sensor(s) due to bad batteries.

No fault to clear. You need your own VCDS to disable or reset tripping pressures, dealer won't help you.