GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Restore Your Headlights Cheap and Quickly.

doc280

Ready to race!
As I was watching some car videos, on Youtube, a recommended video popped up, "Restoring Your Headlights In Three Minutes". I had to take a look and I must say I was impressed.

Bad weather outside and being a little bored, to the garage I went.

Just a little background when I purchased my cheap GTI, the headlights were fogged over with haze. I purchased one of the 3M headlight restoration kits, for about $20. The 3M kit works, but it takes time, sanding, and sanding, more sanding, then buffing and the results while good, are not like making the headlight look new.

So the video shows a guy getting like new looks in three minutes, well took me a little longer. This is how I did the DIY.

Items required:

Glass cleaner
Mothers Mag & Aluminum Polish
Masking Tape
Buffer (I used the buffer pad which came in the 3M kit and an electric drill.)
Microfiber towels
Car wax of your preference.

How I did it.

Masked the painted areas surrounding the the headlights.

Cleaned the headlights with the glass cleaner.

Smeared a thin coating of Mothers Mag and Aluminum Polish on the headlights. I used my hand, but you can use a towel and waxing pad.

Spent a few minutes buffing the headlights, making sure I buffed the entire surface of the headlights.

I removed the masking tape.

I wiped down the headlights with a mirofiber towel. {I did use a detail spray, but I don't think it is needed.}

I waxed the headlights using my favorite wax.

Done.

The results, the headlights really do look new. How long will it last, I do not know, but it is so easy to do I am not worried about it.

I wish I could take pictures like some of you guys do, because my pictures of the finished headlights really does them no justice. Pictures taken with a Amazon Fire.....

Attachments

• IMG_20170911_142556-1024x768.jpg
    IMG_20170911_142556-1024x768.jpg
    165.6 KB · Views: 637
  • IMG_20170911_150535-1024x768.jpg
    IMG_20170911_150535-1024x768.jpg
    158.3 KB · Views: 639