GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Driverside high beam not working

tj1393

Passed Driver's Ed
Hello, I have a 2007 Vw gti I just replaced the D2s and h7 I guess ftp bulbs. I noticed my driverside high beam isn't switching but no vagcom codes showing up. I also changed the bulb and it's the same thing. Though I'm not sure if it's the high beam portion of the D2s that's not working or if it's just stuck in high beam mode or stuck in low beam mode and high beam isn't working. The high beam indicator isn't on unless I switch to high beams which only the passenger works. As mentioned, brand new bulbs and no codes on vcds as it's showing all is normal. I don't know how long this has been going on, it could have been a while as I've had headlight issues for a good while and this could be the issue I've been having all along just never noticed. Everything else works perfectly fine. Thanks in advance!

GTI's

Drag Racing Champion
Check the shutters in the HID lenses, you can do this with Vcds output test or a second person observing HID lenses for shutter movement when switching to high beams.

Fred930

Scirocco MK II Track Car
Just to reinforce GTI's post above ....

The D2S HID bulbs are only on or off (there is no high beam filament in them). The car uses a mechanical shutter (like an eyelid) that raises up to widen the headlight's output when switching to "high" beam. You can see them raise and adjust slightly when switching the headlights on.

Sadly, (unless you've made VagCom modifications to your car's lighting system), USA GTI's with daylight running lights are never are able to use the inner halogen flash to pass headlights when the car is moving. It's a terrible result of outdated US DOT regulations.

JetTurbo did a great post several years ago covering GTI headlights and programming options - http://www.golfmkv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=66060&highlight=headlights.

Sounds like you may have a ballast or wiring issue. There are forum posts on HID troubleshooting, too.

golfballer78

Ready to race!
Car(s)
08' R32 dsg
My R32 has the euro switch with program to kill drl & run center h7's as high beam together with hid's , backroad visibility is epic that way. never have issues tho, also replaced my d2s with osram 5000k.

Fred930

Scirocco MK II Track Car
My R32 has the euro switch with program to kill drl & run center h7's as high beam together with hid's , backroad visibility is epic that way. never have issues tho, also replaced my d2s with osram 5000k.

I'm curious about one thing ....

From what I understood, the programming mods to run inner H7's along with HID high beam requires setting the dash display on MkV's (along with VagCom lighting changes) to a non-USA mode. It looked to me the usual Euro dash settings might mess up the tuning increments on your AM radio, since US stations are on 10KHz increments but Europeans use 9KHz - resulting in 90% of AM stations being mis-tuned.

I still use AM for some local news & sporting events, so haven't made the required changes for better highbeam headlight operation. Am I wrong about the AM mis-tuning issue, or don't you ever listen to any AM radio?? Thanks ....

golfballer78

Ready to race!
Car(s)
08' R32 dsg
I call bullshit, I owned this car for a couple years with euro switch stuff already done/ otherwise stock. Like I said no issues from it whatsoever.

tj1393

Passed Driver's Ed
Thank you all for the replies. I completely forgot about this and was searching info again and found I posted this. Sorry for no responses. No I havn’t figured the problem out yet. When I did vagcom light out put tests everything moved and worked perfectly except still the driver side head light stuck in low/high beam mode. All movements and functions appear to be working. As mentioned, still brand new bulbs and tried switching bulbs and ballasts over and still the same issue.

Been driving in the mountains a lot playing in the snow with my lsd and having fun but issues seeing are still an issue. Any other thoughts or options? Also, as mentioned, no light problems or check engine light or codes for headlights. Both front and rear alignment levelers are installed correctly and appear to be working properly. Thanks in advance. I’ll try to keep a better look at this for follow ups this time!

GTI's

Drag Racing Champion
Your HID low/ high beam is a function of the Shutter not the output of bulb. When doing a Vcds output test for high do you see and hear shutter moving. If you do not have Vcds a second person can watch and hear for shutter movement. You can see what you are looking for by observing the working HID.

tj1393

Passed Driver's Ed
Ok I’ll give it a shot again thank you! Also, if it is the shutter not working properly, what is involved in fixing or replacing it? I know our headlights don’t typically go by parts and is a whole assembly. Will this need a full assymbly replacement if that is the issue? Thank you very much! Also I do have vcds and ran the output tests but didn’t hear anything but I’ll try it again now that I know what I’m looking for.

GTI's

Drag Racing Champion
I do not believe the motor is available separately from the dealer, maybe you can get a used from an old lamp housing. May also want to check the wiring inside housing.

tj1393

Passed Driver's Ed
Thank you, I have done some more looking around and saw a few mentions of the shutter getting stuck and to stick like a dental pick or something inside to try and hit the shutter to release it. I will be trying that very soon and if that doesn’t fix the problem I feel I have done everything I can and will be looking at a new lamp assembly. Thanks for all the info, help and responses.

tj1393

Passed Driver's Ed
Ok so to respond to the people who helped and attempted to help or others who might have a question about this, I figured out the issue. For some reason my driver side headlight was aimed up and left and I don’t know if that was the cause or something else but I pulled the headlight apart (which is nice because you can pull the whole hid unit out of the back and not remove the lens) and found that the solenoid which controls to shutter to open and release the full view of the high beam portion of the hid d2s bulb. That solenoid is seized so the shutter will not open, it only seemed to be stuck in high beam due to the aiming angle and it’s actually stuck in low beam.

Now, after all my research apparently you cannot buy a new solenoid/shutter which are connected and you have to buy a new headlight or you can buy a new hid unit (not sure if possible on the new market but could buy one from a salvage yard) however, my semi local import salvage yard has a 2007 Vw gti but wants $300 per headlight and some odd $400 for a front bumper. I purchased a new driver side headlight for something like $350 with shipping and is only slightly more expensive for a new Vw unit brand new with warranty. Also off topic, that $400 front bumper I can get oem Vw brand new with warranty which comes painted for less than that $400. So I didn’t see the salvage yard as a fiesible option and hope shipping on this goes as planned!

Thanks again everyone and hope this helps. I didn’t find much on this but, by pulling apart the hid unit and found it was relatively easy, if you were to plan to install the Zkw-r clear hid lenses or other lens upgrade, other than the aiming and the slightly larger lens, I assume would be a pretty easy upgrade.