GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Key Fob Question

Fruhstuck

Hello All,

My key fob recently broke on me. The metal arm that your key screws into and then swings out when you press the release snapped. I called a few places and looked online and can't find the exact piece sold by itself. The dealership told me I'd have to buy a whole new key fob. That seems excessive to me since the fob itself is working fine and all I need is this one metal piece.

Anyone have any ideas of where I could buy replacements parts? I checked ebay and you can buy whole used key fobs for 15 - 30$, but that seems sketchy to me. Anyway, any help is appreciated.

I circled the part in question in red here.

The-Key-Fob.jpg

Thank you

yeahforbes

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 Golf R DSG
I had the exact same issue. I ended up getting a shell (like the link above, even cheaper on ebay though) and had a hell of a time finding someone who could cut it. I went to 3 lock shops, the big box stores, several local hardware stores, and nobody had the right equipment to mill out these "laser cut" (I've heard it's a misnomer, but it's what most people say) keys. Finally I found that an Ace Hardware several towns away had the right vice and bit, and was willing to do it (free!). All of that is just for the key blade itself. Then you have to move the immobilizer chip and the remote transmitter from your original shell to the new shell... that is the easy part because you're not looking to "learn" a new immobilizer chip or remote. As far as the car is concerned it's the original chip and remote.

yeahforbes

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 Golf R DSG
I see you're from New York. Hopefully it's not too far of a drive to get to Lincoln Park, NJ because that's where the Ace Hardware is with the right stuff. Call ahead and make sure Dennis will be on shift when you get there, since he's the only one who knows how to use this machine.

I think it's https://keyline.it/en/mechanical-key-cutting-machines/for-dimple-laser-and-tubular-keys/t-rex or https://keyline.it/en/mechanical-key-cutting-machines/for-laser-and-dimple-keys/punto

So maybe you could get in touch with Keyline and see who their customers are that have this machine (or a similar model) in use.

Last edited: