GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2009 VW GTI vs 2011 Subaru WRX STI

09FrostWhiteGTI

09FrostWhiteGTI
Car(s)
2009 Volkswagen GTI
So my friend got a 2011 STI 6 speed manual couple months back, and we have been wanting to race ever since. We both just recently tuned our cars, I tuned my GTI with Revo Stage 1 , and he got COBB AP Stage 1 for his STI. We finally had a chance to run on a completely empty Freeway in the middle of the day. We did one pull from about 60-120MPH, we both started 3rd gear he honks 3 times , and were off. 3rd gear we were dead even until I got to around 6300RPMS where I see him pull an inch, I then shift to 4th pull back those couple inches until we let off in the middle of 5th(Outcome:Dead EVEN):happyanim:. I was super surprised , as was he , that my little economy car could keep up with his STI, with about the same mods. We both have Stage 1 Tunes, Intakes, and I have a Custom Exhaust he has an Aftermarket Exhaust, both 6 speed Manuals. My other friend with a 350z HR 6 speed was also rolling with us , and we both decided to do some 3rd gear pulls with him, he took us both by about 1 car each, I was even with him 3rd gear, but when I shifted to 4th he pulled on me a little. At the end of the day , I still cant believe how fast my Stage 1 GTI is, I think my little Golf is a Factory Freak. Stage 1 GTI's are not suppose to be this fast, are they?

xSabretoothx

Fast w/ training wheels
Car(s)
2008 GTI
Actually that sounds about right, that's where your GTI shines. The STI isn't a drag car, the AWD weight and drivetrain loss at that speed is most apparent and the turbo and engine displacement is only slightly larger than yours. Sorry I can't tell you that you have a factory freak.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

09FrostWhiteGTI

09FrostWhiteGTI
Car(s)
2009 Volkswagen GTI
Actually that sounds about right, that's where your GTI shines. The STI isn't a drag car, the AWD weight and drivetrain loss at that speed is most apparent and the turbo and engine displacement is only slightly larger than yours. Sorry I can't tell you that you have a factory freak.

Yes thats correct, but a proper running Stage 1 STI makes about 270whp and over 300wtq, considering mine only runs at around 220-230whp at most I consider it an advantage for STI, plus it having a bigger vf48 turbo meaning it doesnt run out of gas at high speeds. From what I read on these stage 1 GTI's should be only keeping up to cars like the E36 M3, S2k's, Stock STI's, Stock 03-05 350z's

xSabretoothx

Fast w/ training wheels
Car(s)
2008 GTI
Dynos talk, put yours up and then you can really see or take it to the drag strip and come back with some numbers