GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Low coolant

yg17

Ready to race!
I just got a warning in my mfd to check my coolant which I did. It's a bit low. Is it safe to drive until I can get to an auto zone or something to buy more? Any special kind I need? My temp gauge is at 190 so I don't think my car is in any immediate danger.

Here's the warning light in the mfd if that means anything. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1348419425.006677.jpg

sethdude

Pobody's Nerfect.
Just keep an eye on the temp. As long as you don't overheat on the way to the store, it should be just fine.

You'll also need to get under there and find the leak.

yg17

Ready to race!
Could it just be low and not actually leaking?

Since I need g12 and dealers are closed on Sunday, can I put some water in there to at least turn the light off?

yg17

Ready to race!
It's a fucking leak....it went from being low to bone dry in the span of half an hour. Guess I have to have it towed to the dealer tomorrow.

And I'm only like 500 miles past the 60,000 powertrain warranty too, damn!

T0neyDanza

Banned
Car(s)
2007 4 door GTI
Just throw some water in it, and drive to the dealer tomorrow. Unless it is already freezing in STL... which I know it's not. Just don't let it over heat

yg17

Ready to race!
Just throw some water in it, and drive to the dealer tomorrow. Unless it is already freezing in STL... which I know it's not. Just don't let it over heat

Haha, nope, it's a beautiful 65 degrees right now.

I have free towing with AAA, so I figure I might as well be safe than sorry.

yg17

Ready to race!
Okay, so I went back out to my car after it sat awhile, and checked the coolant tank, and now there's a little in there. Still well under the min line. That doesn't make sense, since it cooled, isn't it supposed to shrink? It was bone dry when I checked right after i got home and the engine was warm.

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
Hard to say. There's some suction involved. Do you see a puddle under the car? Are you getting white smoke out of the exhaust when the car is running?

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
And a leaking hose would not covered under the drivetrain warranty. Perhaps a leaking water pump would be, and a leaking head gasket would be. Since you're just our of warranty, VW might pay for all of the repair or perhaps half, especially if you used the dealer for routine maintenance.

yg17

Ready to race!
Brought it into the dealer, broken water pump. I completely forgot I bought the extended warranty with my car so I'm only on the hook for a $100 deductible, and they got me a rental. Plus they're changing my timing belt under warranty since it got saturated by coolant so I won't have to worry about it at 100k. Overall, can't complain.

Nice thread.

Glad you liked it.

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
Brought it into the dealer, broken water pump. I completely forgot I bought the extended warranty with my car so I'm only on the hook for a $100 deductible, and they got me a rental. Plus they're changing my timing belt under warranty since it got saturated by coolant so I won't have to worry about it at 100k. Overall, can't complain.

Glad you liked it.

That's great that they're replacing the timing belt. You also should replace the timing belt tensioner, and the accessory belt and tensioner. If the warranty won't pay for them you should pay for it yourself. A new timing belt won't help you in the least if the tensioner weakens. Or you can take your chances.