GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Alarm went off after stall?

yg17

Ready to race!
So this was weird, I was backing up a steep driveway, misjudged it a bit and let off the clutch too soon and stalled. Happened to me before, but this time the alarm went off as soon as I stalled, at least I presume the alarm, the horn started honking and the hazards were flashing. I was able to start the car back up and I was able to drive. I just frantically started hitting buttons on my remote and it shut up. I forget if it was lock or unlock that I hit to turn it off.

Anyone know why that would happen? I did replace the battery in my remote a few days ago, not sure if that would have anything to do with it. It's a 2009 GTI.

iwannagofast

Not a Newbie
Car(s)
'17 GTI
My car did this too about 2 years ago. I had no idea what just happened and after I found nothing from searching on the internet, I just wrote it off as I must have somehow hit the panic button with my knee while sitting in the traffic.

I just chalked it up to the damn electrical VW gremlins.

yg17

Ready to race!
My car did this too about 2 years ago. I had no idea what just happened and after I found nothing from searching on the internet, I just wrote it off as I must have somehow hit the panic button with my knee while sitting in the traffic.

I just chalked it up to the damn electrical VW gremlins.

There's no way my knee could hit the panic button (not tall enough I guess) but it's entirely possible I hit the panic button while trying to quickly restart the car and get going. But I seem to remember the alarm going off before I even reached for the key, but who knows, it all happened very quickly.

My guess is that the car thinks you wrecked due to the angle and stopped engine with the ignition still on.

Maybe. I could've scraped the bottom back of the car since my front was on the level street and my back was getting up onto the driveway. But I've found out the hard way what a GTI actually does in a wreck and there was no horn.

Very strange though. The car's running fine and no weirdness since then. Maybe it is just those infamous electrical gremlins starting to come out as I near 60,000 miles on the car.