GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Humming sound after tire rotation

yg17

Ready to race!
I took my car to the dealer yesterday for 50,000 mile service which consisted of an oil change and tire rotation. After that was done, when I get up to around 60 MPH, there's an annoying high pitched humming sound (that's the best way to describe it :iono: ) coming from the front wheels. The tires are about 15,000 miles old and this was their first time being rotated (probably a big screw up on my part, should've been more often). The car drives fine, it's just really, really annoying, especially since I do a lot of driving on the highway.

Anyone know it could be? Perhaps uneven tread wear? Something else? I know the easy answer is to take it to the dealer since they did the work but they're pretty far away from me and closed on weekends so I'd rather not take more vacation time from work to take my car in. If I have an idea of what the problem is, I can take it to the local tire shop that replaced my tires and has weekend hours, I figure if it's tire related, there's nothing the dealer can do that they can't for a fraction of the cost.

CW08DSG

I don't care.
Car(s)
08 GTI 2dr DSG
Most likely noise from uneven tire wear due to the lengthy interval between rotations. It's probably never going to even out, but I'd certainly rotate them sooner than later, say 5K intervals.

yg17

Ready to race!
Most likely noise from uneven tire wear due to the lengthy interval between rotations. It's probably never going to even out, but I'd certainly rotate them sooner than later, say 5K intervals.

Thanks. Guess my two options are to learn to live with it until the next rotation or buy new tires?

telaio

Ready to race!
How can tire-rotation cause humming? has the direction of rotation of the tires changed too?

DUSlider

Ready to race!
Car(s)
16' GTI SE/PP
What tires are they? If they are directional and the dealer wasn't paying attention to what they were doing and didn't rotate them properly this could definately cause the noise you are hearing.