GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

She left me stranded

WickedLou9

I'm a geek
Car(s)
2008 GTI
My battery light had been going on and off for about a day. It only came on at idle and a couple of times while I was driving it.
this is kind of ironic.... I was driving home from work. the battery light was NOT on. I went to turn on the AC and it didn't work. Great. so I call up a VW dealer near me and try and make an appointment... as I am talking to the service dept the car fucking dies. all the warning lights come on and the engine goes dead.
I pull over to the side of the highway and call AAA. They tow my car 16 miles to the nearest VW dealer. Cost me 65 bucks for the tow. AAA only covers the first 3 miles for free. I am pretty sure that the alternator is toast.

In fact, I have a post about it in the Engine forum.

Fucking volkswagen. This is the first car that I have ever owned that has left me stranded on the side of the road.

I have had 2 honda accords, a ford mustang and a hodna fit. the mustang never broke down on me.

Not a good sign. This thing is a 2008 and only has 24,000 miles on it. Totally unacceptable.

bigbadvoodooguru

GO LAKERS
Car(s)
VW Rabbit
The only cars I've ever had break down on me and leave me stranded were all hondas. Unreliable pieces of shit...

Sucks man, at least you should be under warranty.
I hope I don't have any problems with mine... I bought new because of all the problems I had with a s2000.

Horus USAF

shhh Im thinkin......
Car(s)
06 GTI
Do you have any extra stuff in the car that could be causing heavy drain on the alternator? Sorry to hear bout the break down and GL with the fix.

attheline

dubbin it
Car(s)
07 MKV GTI
this happened to me last year, went to go wash my car and just as i get ready to drive off the car doesnt start, all my lights light up and then go off and my car starts beeping every 10 seconds for five minutes.

h0ckeyfreek20

Go Kart Champion
The only cars I've ever had break down on me and leave me stranded were all hondas. Unreliable pieces of shit...

Sucks man, at least you should be under warranty.
I hope I don't have any problems with mine... I bought new because of all the problems I had with a s2000.

sarcasm?

if not.. the irony of that is just too much.

Horus USAF

shhh Im thinkin......
Car(s)
06 GTI
Honestly though I've noticed that VW's have pretty quirky electrical in compared to many other cars out there.

kyle

Go Kart Champion
OP...that sucks balls. Good luck with the fix. Does Revo allow you to swtich to a stock mode? Can't remember.

Saabstory

.:R32 OG Member # 002
Car(s)
MKVI Golf TDI 6MT
Sucks you were stranded bud; happened to me a couple weeks ago with my old Saab (that was the incident that led my wife to allow me to buy a new car :biggrin: ) In my case it was the AC compressor locking up and shredding the belt. In your case it sounds like the alternator failed; but could be others as well...

Out of curiosity; why did you call AAA if your car is still under warranty? If your warranty is still good; so is your VW roadside assistance (free tow), yes...?

apollosfury

designeddwk
OP...that sucks balls. Good luck with the fix. Does Revo allow you to swtich to a stock mode? Can't remember.

while i must agree with sloppygti, i can tell you that whenever the battery is disconnected revo software defaults to "stock" mode. i found this out while installing stereo b.s.....i would assume the same happens. Chris at Revo told me this is done so that if something happens to your car and you don't have time to switch it, it will minimize the chances of a dealer noticing your ecu rewrite.....perfect in a situation such as the OP's, even though his situation SUCKS.

WickedLou9

I'm a geek
Car(s)
2008 GTI
while i must agree with sloppygti, i can tell you that whenever the battery is disconnected revo software defaults to "stock" mode. i found this out while installing stereo b.s.....i would assume the same happens. Chris at Revo told me this is done so that if something happens to your car and you don't have time to switch it, it will minimize the chances of a dealer noticing your ecu rewrite.....perfect in a situation such as the OP's, even though his situation SUCKS.

yeah I didn't get to switch it. I don't have the select switch anyway... but even still... the chip has nothing to do with the alternator. it shouldn't be an issue.

WickedLou9

I'm a geek
Car(s)
2008 GTI
Sucks you were stranded bud; happened to me a couple weeks ago with my old Saab (that was the incident that led my wife to allow me to buy a new car :biggrin: ) In my case it was the AC compressor locking up and shredding the belt. In your case it sounds like the alternator failed; but could be others as well...

Out of curiosity; why did you call AAA if your car is still under warranty? If your warranty is still good; so is your VW roadside assistance (free tow), yes...?

honestly it didn't even occur to me untill I was on the road with my GTi on the back of the truck.

apollosfury

designeddwk
yeah I didn't get to switch it. I don't have the select switch anyway... but even still... the chip has nothing to do with the alternator. it shouldn't be an issue.

i know, was just answering his question :thumbsup: