GOLFMKV

VW GTI Forum / VW Rabbit Forum / VW R32 Forum / VW Golf Forum - Golfmkv.com

Register
MYGOLF garage
Timeslips
Search
Members List
Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   VW GTI Forum / VW Rabbit Forum / VW R32 Forum / VW Golf Forum - Golfmkv.com > Regional Forums > Australia

Old 10-25-2007, 09:45 PM   #1
octagon
Drag Race Newbie

Drives: Golf Gti Mkv
OT: looking for a new digital SLR, which one??

I have a budget of about $1,400 and cant choose between Canon, Nikon or Olympus. Can anyone offer me some advice??
octagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 09:53 PM   #2
Lima
Vorsprung durch technik

Drives: Old and new skool
Canon or Nikon.

End of story.

Just go with your favourite out of those two. Two years ago I would have said Canon, clearly. However, Nikon have raised their game quite a lot since then and it really is down to personal preference now I reckon.

Go to a camera outlet or two and ask to take some test shots to get a feel for what you like and what you don't. Take your own storage card if you can so that you can take the pics home and look at them closely in your own time.

Given that you're asking this question in the first place I suggest you are new to SLRs and therefore my advice would be to go for a cheaper body and better quality glass.

MY80 GTI | MY07 GTI 3dr | MY10 S3 3dr
Lima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 09:56 PM   #3
Alcarinque
Drag Racing Champion

Drives: Golf GTI
I have only heard positive reviews about the Canon 400D.
Alcarinque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 10:02 PM   #4
Lima
Vorsprung durch technik

Oh yeah, plenty for you to read here, and the side-by-side camera comparison feature in the buying guide section is great too...

http://www.dpreview.com/

Old 10-25-2007, 10:09 PM   #5
srbsta
Banned

Drives: 2006 BM GTI 6spd
Send a message via MSN to srbsta
i am also looking for a new camera...thanks for the link minigolf and thanks to octagon for the thread

BOOST GETS YOU LAID

srbsta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 10:22 PM   #6
MarioR32
FIA World Rally Car Champion

Drives: MK5 R32.. 3D .Man. United Grey
Canon F1.. (oldskool) best SLR ever made in my opinion.... So if i was to buy a new SLR... id go a canon..

mario.
Old 10-25-2007, 10:38 PM   #7
funny
VCDS guru & soon Dad x2 !

Drives: Silver DSG MY07 GTI
$1400 isn't going to get you far with mid-spec digital SLRs in either Canon or Nikon. But agree - go with these as they have the most to spend on R&D.
Once you go with one, you tend to stick with it as you'll get a collection of lenses that fit one but not the other.
Canon's seem lighter (big generalisation) for body, but conversely it means lesser durability.
Ultimately it depends on what you use it for. If you're not going bush a lot and won't use it to death like a photojournalist then don't need high end.
Just beware of entry level as if you get a liking for it, you may wish you had bought a higher-spec one in the first place that lets you do things entry level does not.

FWIW i have Nikon D7S. Great as it's almost as good as the high end but without the fiddly controls. There's only a few things now that film does better than digital which will be very hard to replace (e.g. long-exposure at night to capture stars, etc. as CCD will pickup too much noise, and you need more than the camera battery to keep the shutter open for so long with digital! Film is all menchanical - minimal battery usage)

funny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 10:39 PM   #8
revdes

Drives: 2007 CW 3dr Manual GTI
I had the same budget, and bought the Nikon D40x. It's a great camera, but it's not easy to get lenses for (which I found out later ). The body doesn't have an auto-focus motor, and AF-S lenses are hard to come buy.

On that basis I'd recommend a Canon, such as the 400D, which would leave you spoilt for choice in lenses.
revdes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 11:45 PM   #9
mjair
''

Drives: ...
I just picked up a Nikon D40x for my gf - loves it, no issues with lenses. You can't really go wrong with Nikon or Canon so go with what you like best.

I bought from Digital Camera Warehouse, very good pricing:
http://www.digitalcamerawarehouse.com.au/
mjair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 11:50 PM   #10
zz2
VAG expert

Drives: CW '08 GTI
im personally a Canon guy and i recon the 400D is the go for sure!
if you want a great deal the shop might still have a superseated 350D they are desperate to get rid of.. lately i saw one for around $490 for the twin lens kit one too!

'that's thirty minutes away... I'll be there in ten'
zz2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 11:50 PM   #11
captainslow
Mr Oversteer

Drives: VW Mk V Golf GTI MY07
always a Canon fan. I'm planning to get the 40D for xmas. 400D is very good IMO.

VW Mk V Golf GTI MY07 TR
captainslow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 11:53 PM   #12
zz2
VAG expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainslow View Post
always a Canon fan. I'm planning to get the 40D for xmas.
you lucky SOB! i wish santa has one in his sack for me... when i upgrade im 99% sure thats the camera im going to upgrade too

Old 10-26-2007, 12:13 AM   #13
malkatraz
Touring Car Newbie

Drives: mkv gti
For that price - Canon or Nikon. I've a 20D that I bought when they came out. Cost me $2.5k... before that my entry to the digital camera world was a sony f707 - which cost the same when that first came out.

Make sure you want a DSLR before slapping the cash. They're not an easy beast to wield and you may get better results straight-up with a prosumer point and shoot.

If you do opt for a DSLR - consider getting one that's been out for a bit (say the 30D - or even the Digital Rebel) and spend your money on decent glass. It's the glass that's going to cost you at any rate.

Good luck and enjoy. It's all good.

PS: The advice of checking out www.dpreview.com was sound.
malkatraz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 12:41 AM   #14
octagon
Drag Race Newbie

Drives: Golf Gti Mkv
Thanks for all the good advice guys, at this stage i think Im leaning towards the Canon 400D with the twin lens

Quote:
Originally Posted by zz2 View Post
im personally a Canon guy and i recon the 400D is the go for sure!
if you want a great deal the shop might still have a superseated 350D they are desperate to get rid of.. lately i saw one for around $490 for the twin lens kit one too!
Mark, Would be keen to know whos going to do me a good deal mate
octagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 01:10 AM   #15
captainslow
Mr Oversteer

Drives: VW Mk V Golf GTI MY07
Quote:
Originally Posted by zz2 View Post
you lucky SOB! i wish santa has one in his sack for me... when i upgrade im 99% sure thats the camera im going to upgrade too
lol ! I've been using my Powershot A60 since it was released. I still like it a lot. I've been playing around with the manual settings and it is quite hard to do it and the results are mediocre as it is not designed for that sort of work. For normal party and stuff I'll still use the el cheapo.

I've decided 40D over the 400D because they are basically the same camera, but given I won't be buying new cameras all the time the little extra I spend would mean I can enjoy the added features for longer. It probably costs ~$100 extra per year if you spread the cost.

VW Mk V Golf GTI MY07 TR
captainslow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 01:19 AM   #16
zz2
VAG expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by octagon View Post
Thanks for all the good advice guys, at this stage i think Im leaning towards the Canon 400D with the twin lens

Mark, Would be keen to know whos going to do me a good deal mate
seeing as Canon is quite a popular brand you can pick them up almost anywhere.. your local Harvey Norman would have the 400D and they will be most likely to have a bunch of 350Ds that they will be keen to get rid of.
my self, my family and my dad's office have gotten all gotten their cameras and equipment from Plaza Cameras in the Plaza Arcade in the city. im not sure how they are with prices but the people there are really friendly and because theyre all professional photographers they really know what theyre talking about unlike the dopey teenage guy at Harvey Norman whos just reading off the box. they also offer a really good digital print shop and run photography classes and can do servicing and maintenance on your equipment. i cant recommend them any more

if you want the cheapest price possible then theirs always ebay...

Old 10-26-2007, 01:52 AM   #17
mjair
''

Drives: ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by octagon View Post
Would be keen to know whos going to do me a good deal mate
Digital Camera Warehouse - $1149 for the twin lens kit.
mjair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 02:16 AM   #18
Lima
Vorsprung durch technik

Just be aware if you buy off eBay that Canon bodies purchased from OS will not have Australian warranty cover (not sure about Nikon).

Old 10-26-2007, 02:51 AM   #19
blue2th
FIA World Rally Car Champion

Drives: GTI Black Magic
i believe the Camera House deal has an attractive price on the 40D as well. i picked up a brochure last week...can't remember the price exactly but within the <$2k price range. They had the Sony alpha on a good deal too.
blue2th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 02:52 AM   #20
-mission-
Direkt Schalt Getriebe

Drives: MY07 Golf GTI
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjair View Post
Digital Camera Warehouse - $1149 for the twin lens kit.
$1079 at http://www.dirtcheapcameras.com.au/store/index.asp

Having 15 years of Minolta gear meant changing over wasn't really a good idea - also Minolta/Sony have built in image stabilisation - no special (i.e. mega costly) lenses required. Testing on the new A700 has seen improvements of F3-F4 - better than any lens IS system.

But if starting from scratch ... it'd be the Canon or Nikon. And get the better lens (i.e. maybe only one) over the twin lens kits.

Don't forget you'll want a 4-8Gb card and other accessories as well - all adds up.

- M -
-mission- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 02:53 AM   #21
ApexTwin
expert knob twiddler

Drives: GTI
Camera Farm - $1147.00 for the Twin Lens Kit (+$25 insured delivery, seeing as your not in Sydney to do pick up)

Bought my video camera with them and was very happy. They sell actual Australian models, which are fully covered by the manufacturers warranty.

| MK5 GTI | Black Magic | 5 Door | Manual | Interlagos |
末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末
42dd catch can / custom dash tray / bsh side mounts / 18" advan model t5 / bsh pendulum mount / d ~ diverter valve / giac / sachs performance coilovers / projector fogs ~ open grills / dbilas intake / dieselgeek ss / true grey tint / ecs dogbone / r32 tails / sharan stubby / in.pro mirror signals
ApexTwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 03:00 AM   #22
ApexTwin
expert knob twiddler

Drives: GTI
Here's some nice price comparisons for you on the 400D...

http://www.shopbot.com.au/p-24354.html

| MK5 GTI | Black Magic | 5 Door | Manual | Interlagos |
末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末
42dd catch can / custom dash tray / bsh side mounts / 18" advan model t5 / bsh pendulum mount / d ~ diverter valve / giac / sachs performance coilovers / projector fogs ~ open grills / dbilas intake / dieselgeek ss / true grey tint / ecs dogbone / r32 tails / sharan stubby / in.pro mirror signals
ApexTwin is offline   Reply With Quote