GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MK5 Jetta BPY 2.0 K03 Turbo Rebuild

Justin_DeSilva

Backstory
While repairing and replacing a corroded flex pipe I recognized it would be a good opportunity to replace the corroded studs on the exhaust manifold. Tried removing the studs while the exhaust manifold was attached to the engine but failed with the help of map gas and even the induction coil bolt buster. My hope was the $400 tool would avoid having to separate the turbo from the engine but the studs would not loosen. Even tried welding nuts onto the studs but the stud material woudln't accept the weld.

Cartridge Rebuild
After separating the exhaust manifold and turbo from the engine, drilling out the old studs, chasing the threads with a m10x1.5 tap I thought why not inspect the turbo and consider rebuilding it. The turbo cartridge was severely rusted so I'm separating the parts, removing the rust and repainting with ceramic paint.

Next Steps
I suppose most DIYers will consider purchasing a new cartridge but others like me will prefer to take the additional time and rebuild and refurbish the cartridge. When inspecting the propeller (intake side) I see some material removed from the nut. My assumption is some material is removed for balancing and registration. It's quite a bit of material so I'm considering purchasing a new shaft. My question is, does anyone have experience purchasing new shafts be it ebay Chinese or Taiwanese production?

Shaft (ebay from china) - $49
53031205015 33.5/45mm 11 blades turbine Shaft and wheel

Shaft Mamba (ebay from taiwan) - $99
Turbo Turbine Shaft Wheel For Borg Warner K03 K03-048 K03-055 (37.7 / 44.6mm)