GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Put Golf R brakes up front today - review coming

ROH ECHT

K04 PLAY
Car(s)
2007 MKV GTI
So, do you know of any that fit other than our oem ones?

Last edited:

ssunnylee24

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
07 CW DSG GTI
GIACUser,

I have been reading some brake upgrade threads and found your ID popup on most of them and would like to ask some opinions.
I have bought a second MKV GTI last month and the brakes feel real mushy. Eventhough rotors and pads look virtually new, it could possibly need a fluid change. However, I am seeing R32 calipers and 986 NQSBBK caipera in decent prices and can’t decided which route to go with. I am not looking to track or anything but just looking for an upgrade.
Would like to hear your thoughts.

Thanks for reading.
Best,

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Car(s)
MK 6 GolfR
GIACUser,

I have been reading some brake upgrade threads and found your ID popup on most of them and would like to ask some opinions.
I have bought a second MKV GTI last month and the brakes feel real mushy. Eventhough rotors and pads look virtually new, it could possibly need a fluid change. However, I am seeing R32 calipers and 986 NQSBBK caipera in decent prices and can’t decided which route to go with. I am not looking to track or anything but just looking for an upgrade.
Would like to hear your thoughts.

Thanks for reading.
Best,

Well as you have already read, my experience with R32 or R calipers has been very positive. As you describe your needs and your current situation I have the following comments.

1. If your pedal feels mushy, you have air in the lines. When properly bled MKV brakes feel solid.

2. The stopping power may not be what you want it to be at this point but you can easily increase that by a lot just by switching brake pads. I played around a lot with that before upgrading calipers.

3. If your rotors look good, go buy a set of HPS 5.0 pads and go for a fluid change to a good DOT4 fluid like ATE200. That will be a HUGE upgrade. After this your pedal should feel solid and stopping power will increase a LOT. I loved this setup for the street.

I went with the larger calipers/rotors because I wanted to start tracking the car and the larger brakes would handle the heat generated by the relentless high speed braking much better. Not something you have to worry about on the street.

As for the Brembo side of things I am putting an 18z system on my car as we speak. This system normally goes on an Audi Q7 which is a 5000lb plus vehicle. They are huge and I am looking forward to see how they perform at the track.

ssunnylee24

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
07 CW DSG GTI
Thanks for the input.
Maybe I will just spend my money on new pads and fluids.

Your brakes look very nice btw.

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Car(s)
MK 6 GolfR

ssunnylee24

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
07 CW DSG GTI
I think you will be pleased. A while back a few of use were in search for the best possible upgraded to stock calipers. There is a good thread on the subject. Might be of interest. Ultimate Brake Upgrade using stock calipershttp://www.golfmkv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=167216

Thank you!
Good to see knowledgable member like you still lurk around here and you are local too. :thumbsup:

joesmkv

Passed Driver's Ed
I'm running the 17z calipers and absoluetly love them on the track with a set of carbotech pads, or if I don't want to splurge, EBC yellowstuff pads seem to work well for me on the track.
I'm sure you'll love the upgrade!

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Car(s)
MK 6 GolfR
I'm running the 17z calipers and absoluetly love them on the track with a set of carbotech pads, or if I don't want to splurge, EBC yellowstuff pads seem to work well for me on the track.
I'm sure you'll love the upgrade!

17z I think are the great bargain now and can be so close in pricing to R brakes that it is an easy choice to go Brembo. I am putting a full set on with 18z in front and the 4 piston rears and the RS3 master looking forward to seeing how they perform at the track. HPS 5.0 street and Hawk Blue tracks pads for fun.

joesmkv

Passed Driver's Ed
17z I think are the great bargain now and can be so close in pricing to R brakes that it is an easy choice to go Brembo. I am putting a full set on with 18z in front and the 4 piston rears and the RS3 master looking forward to seeing how they perform at the track. HPS 5.0 street and Hawk Blue tracks pads for fun.

Are you going to run an independent parking brake?

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Car(s)
MK 6 GolfR
Are you going to run an independent parking brake?
It required swapping out the parking brake cable and guides for MK4 R32 cables and guides also - worked perfectly. Unfortunately this kit is no longer available through the manufacturer.

Missed this one - yes. Running Willwood parking caliper in a mounting kit that was designed for this application (Brembo caliper)

caliper mounted upside down - corrected later

ssunnylee24

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
07 CW DSG GTI
So I picked up a set of mk6 R brakes (front) and tried to replace em.
But I couldnt get the stock passenger side rotor off.
Also forgot to change the dust shield(mkv stock shield on w R rotor and caliper on driver side), would that be an issue?

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Car(s)
MK 6 GolfR
So I picked up a set of mk6 R brakes (front) and tried to replace em.
But I couldnt get the stock passenger side rotor off.
Also forgot to change the dust shield(mkv stock shield on w R rotor and caliper on driver side), would that be an issue?

Rotor should just fall off after you remove the little retaining screw. If not give it a good knock with a mallet.

Been so long I don't remember for sure but I think the front shields will bolt up but not the rears. I didn't use any shields on front or rear. No particular problem encountered in running without them over a few years of driving in SoCal.

You will really like the change with the R brakes up front. I ran with Hawk HPS and HPS 5.0 pads for street and they were great.

ssunnylee24

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
07 CW DSG GTI
Rotor should just fall off after you remove the little retaining screw. If not give it a good knock with a mallet.

Been so long I don't remember for sure but I think the front shields will bolt up but not the rears. I didn't use any shields on front or rear. No particular problem encountered in running without them over a few years of driving in SoCal.

You will really like the change with the R brakes up front. I ran with Hawk HPS and HPS 5.0 pads for street and they were great.

So I was able to get the rotor off with the PBlast and a good ole mallet.
New pads are nicely bedded in but feels like the brake peddle has to travel further then before almost 30-40% in it starts to grab, is that normal?

Thanks

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Car(s)
MK 6 GolfR
So I was able to get the rotor off with the PBlast and a good ole mallet.
New pads are nicely bedded in but feels like the brake peddle has to travel further then before almost 30-40% in it starts to grab, is that normal?

Thanks

No, pedal travel should feel like stock. Still have a little air in lines.

ssunnylee24

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
07 CW DSG GTI
No, pedal travel should feel like stock. Still have a little air in lines.

Maybe I should have let the fluids flow out more.
Ive never bled brake fluids before and was afraid to drain it out too much.
As long as theres fluid in the reservoir, I should be okay to drain out a little right?
Ive also got misfires and cel under hard throttle. Dang this sucks