GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MK5 Engine swap

Cjpolokid

Ready to race!
Hello I found a nice 2007 Gulf GTI with a bad engine (owner ran the oil dry).

I'm new to VW's and have been doing some research.. With this vehicle having the FSI 2.0t what would be acceptable engine replacement it appears that another fsi 2.0t from year(s) 2006 - 2008.5 would be the obvious choice. How much of a process would it be to use an engine from another donor vehicle newer TSI or a FSI from an Audi...?

Is the Audi FSI set up the same as the GTI FSI? I wouldn't mind moving parts between long blocks but I'd like to stay away from any type of computer flashing / reprogramming, which I would assume would come with FSI to TSI if in fact it can be done.

So in short what would be my options as far as keeping labor time and aggravation to a minimum!

Thanks in advance!

I recently did a engine swap any bpy engine will work but if you do a different engine that is not a bpy you would have to mess with the computer

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FloridaNative

Passed Driver's Ed
I'm no help with the tranny. We used the one that came with the car (the DSG being one of the reasons we wanted this car).

The engine we put has more niggling issues than I hoped as we bought one with only 65k miles on it. Besides the rough cold start which it has had since day 1, we had to replace the PCV, the knock sensors (well, actually only one was bad but we replaced them both), and now it appears the thermostat and/or coolant temp sensor is bad (I am replacing thermostat and both CTS this weekend).

-Mike

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

oldmanriver

Sorry to hear the news about those problems!

I am just about ready to mate the transmission do you happen to know or remember torque specs for the fly wheel bolts also are they and one time use stretch bolts
?

FloridaNative

Passed Driver's Ed
I am not the most religious about replacing stretch bolts when it's recommended, but this is one case I would DEFINITELY REPLACE them. The trouble of replacing them later (and their potential to cause collateral damage) far outweighs the cost/hassle of getting new ones now.

Bentley says the flywheel bolts are tightened to 44 ft-lb then 1/4 turn (90*). I would tighten them alternating sides in 2-3 stages to get to 44, then do the 1/4 turn alternating sides until all six are done.

-Mike

oldmanriver

Good call on the torque specs. I want to the dealership for the TTY flywheel bolts I think that’s only the second time I bought parts from my dealership! Price wasn’t bad >$10. I got the engine and transmission mated but I noticed when manually moving the gear selector on the transmission from the park position it will click down once into reverse then when I move out of reverse towards neutral you can feel it move out of reverse but in the next position (what should be neutral) is just slop (A lot of play) and does not come to rest in the neutral position or fall into drive.

Hopefully I am missing or overlooking something simple due to my ignorance related to these DSG Transmissions

FloridaNative

Passed Driver's Ed
Responded in the other thread. Basically gear selection is done at the selector, not the gearbox. I highly recommend getting a Bentley service manual. It has made keeping this car on the road so much easier, both with the engine swap and with life with the car since then. Well worth the money.

-Mike

oldmanriver

Got it put together runs and drives but no Park.

Found this bit of information from what appears to be a reliable source related to a TDI

The reason parking mechanism isn't working because there is small spring that is pushed against small weak metal tab in parking paw assembly, it tends to bent out enough to weakening spring tension on paw then eventually will break off and cause parking paw to free float without locking differential. This usually happens from people putting transmission into P position without engaging Parking brakes on first before releasing brake pedal after putting car into Park, and cause excessive strain on parking paw at differential, when car rolls down with its own weight.

Bad news is there are no replacement parts you can get to replace that parking paw mechanism or broken small tab that holds spring in place. So only options are either replace whole transmission or try find correct metal material and fabricate tab yourself.

Regarding the codes you are getting, those are 2 sensors that are tied together at long stem of Mechatronic unit, they read output shafts speed that is connected to differential gear.
As far as why car doesn't move (freewheeling) when engaged into gear, I'm not sure what would cause that without having physically be there. I don't think it has broken worn out gears that cause slipping on output shaft, or destroyed differential. My guess would be broken tap from parking mechanism fall into and possibly damaged one of sender wheels for shafts speed or sensors itself on mechatronic unit.

Here is what I would do if I were you, talk to customer and ask him if he was parking car on hill, and if he was using parking brake each time he put car into park or was he would shift car into park and let car roll bit till park paw locks differential? Then using VCDS try clear the codes if they don't clear that's ok, next is let DSG fluid warm up to over 30C then on ross-tech.com find DSG adaptation procedure and perform that step by step and then see if transmission would engage into gear and spin wheels now. If not, then remove transmission and check DMF and remove mechatronics unit and inspect for any debris or broken parts. Then from there can decide if you want to tear down completely (split open case) or just get another transmission. BTW you can pretty much get any year TDI DSG transmission as long as you use 06 DSG mechatronic unit (if original mechatronics is good then I would reuse it if you find great deal on newer TDI DSG), to my knowledge you can even use gasser DSG as long as you put 06 TDI mechatronics (in next couple weeks I will be able to confirm this for sure).

oldmanriver

Got ya. It turned out to be the bolt at the end of the cable that slides over the shift arm. I must have left it loose while putting everything back together. It was a bit of a pain forcing my hands down there to get it lined up correctly to find park. Definitely would’ve been easier if I did that right the first time!

I want to thank you again for all of your help! I have put a Little over 100 miles on it so far and it’s running good