GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Is it time to sell?

2.0T-GTI

VW in MadTown
Car(s)
2019 Rabbit Ed. GTI
Looking for some opinions, I'm having a hard time deciding what to do about my current situation.

I've got a 2009.5 MKV. TSI. 90k. APR Stage 2. Intake, DP. Just got 3-4 body panels replaced via rust warranty, and have fed it 91-93oct and Mobil1 every 3k miles since brand new.

I've had a new stock intake swapped in, new water pump, new plugs, new brakes, end links, tie rods, intake carbon cleaned, GFB DV+, DV replaced, R8 coilpacks installed.

Here's the thing, I'll be needing a clutch very soon, timing chain + tensioner soon, timing cover seals are leaking, rear main weeps ever so slightly, shocks will need replacing not too terribly soon, and my somewhat cheap Beluga DP will need replacing or at least a new flex pipe in short order.

BUT, it still runs really well, feels strong, and is fun. That said, KBB is saying I can get only like $5k for this thing used, which is somewhat surprising. I probably have another $5k+ of work to do on it, if I replace everything that needs replacing.

Should I sell it now, and get a MK7.5, used R, or maaaaaybe a used M240i or throw another $5k+ at it and drive it for another few years, and see what the 2020 GTI's are like? Gaaah! Thoughts?

crazylegs

Passed Driver's Ed
Unfortunately our cars do not have great re-sale value.

Personally I would trade that car in, and put money down on a 2019 GTI S, or if you need the sunroof the SE. S will now have the bigger brakes, LSD, 220HP, basically all the performance features the SE had in 2018. Also I would buy a 2019 S at the end of this year as the prices start to drop, found a few dealerships in Virginia that were selling the 2018 S for 22k in November and December.

My car is over 100k miles so no dealership will accept it as a trade in, otherwise I would've done that last year. My friend's MK7 drove great, much much easier to get power with a tune, and the IS38 blows the K04 out of the water.

I also really like the last year model of any generation because they usually remove all the major issues, except for the 2009 TSI that was a MKV because of the timing chain issues. So a 2019 MK7.5 is getting close to that last year of the generation, but they aren't doing anything entirely new like how the 2009 went with a TSI instead of FSI.

This comes down to what you want, personally I love the MQB platform. If you do not have kids, and you love the car, keep spending money on the car and keep upgrading at a pace you can afford.

2.0T-GTI

VW in MadTown
Car(s)
2019 Rabbit Ed. GTI
Unfortunately our cars do not have great re-sale value.

Personally I would trade that car in, and put money down on a 2019 GTI S, or if you need the sunroof the SE. S will now have the bigger brakes, LSD, 220HP, basically all the performance features the SE had in 2018. Also I would buy a 2019 S at the end of this year as the prices start to drop, found a few dealerships in Virginia that were selling the 2018 S for 22k in November and December.

My car is over 100k miles so no dealership will accept it as a trade in, otherwise I would've done that last year. My friend's MK7 drove great, much much easier to get power with a tune, and the IS38 blows the K04 out of the water.

I also really like the last year model of any generation because they usually remove all the major issues, except for the 2009 TSI that was a MKV because of the timing chain issues. So a 2019 MK7.5 is getting close to that last year of the generation, but they aren't doing anything entirely new like how the 2009 went with a TSI instead of FSI.

This comes down to what you want, personally I love the MQB platform. If you do not have kids, and you love the car, keep spending money on the car and keep upgrading at a pace you can afford.

If I do trade in, that's likely what it would be for. You're right that first gen is sometimes a gamble. I have the TSI 2009 GTI, and it definitely had its fair share of gremlins, most of which were fortunately covered under warranty. I still feel the timing chain tensioner is a ticking time bomb to a degree.

So, am I understanding you right that the S has the LSD and is38!?!?! I thought the LSD came in the Performance package only, and the IS38 was a bigger add-on item. I'll have to do some more research!

I did just find a 2017 GTI S Manual with 9k miles used locally. Hmmmmm

crazylegs

Passed Driver's Ed
The 2019 S has LSD, the bigger brakes which say GTI on them and its standard with 220 HP(which doesnt matter if you tune anyways). It does NOT have the IS38, it has the IS20 like all other GTI's that are MK7 or MK7.5.

In 2018 they got rid of alot of the add on stuff, the S had smaller brakes, less HP, and the electronic LSD. The SE had the lighting package, proper LSD , 220 HP standard.

Personally the 2019 GTI S is the sweet spot for me atleast, because I hate the moonroof, but love the bigger brakes and the proper LSD.

2.0T-GTI

VW in MadTown
Car(s)
2019 Rabbit Ed. GTI
The 2019 S has LSD, the bigger brakes which say GTI on them and its standard with 220 HP(which doesnt matter if you tune anyways). It does NOT have the IS38, it has the IS20 like all other GTI's that are MK7 or MK7.5.

In 2018 they got rid of alot of the add on stuff, the S had smaller brakes, less HP, and the electronic LSD. The SE had the lighting package, proper LSD , 220 HP standard.

Personally the 2019 GTI S is the sweet spot for me atleast, because I hate the moonroof, but love the bigger brakes and the proper LSD.

Gotcha. That's great. I don't need a moonroof either, I'm actually allergic to the sun, so... Big brakes and LSD for me! This is a tough decision. Thanks for the heads up! Sounds like it'll either be dropping some dough and driving it into the dirt, or a 2019. Considering I need a car for my job, the "what if" of a tuned car over 100k doesn't seem smart.

Cheers!

2.0T-GTI

VW in MadTown
Car(s)
2019 Rabbit Ed. GTI
Well, went and took a look at the '19 GTI's tonight, and fell in love. Going with a Urano Grey Rabbit Edition GTI. I love that gray, the LED lights, black wheels and sweet rear spoiler/trim pieces. Will be throwing APR S1 on it asap, and working from there. Thanks!!

crazylegs

Passed Driver's Ed
Also curious to hear about the trade in value. Since my car was at 101k at the time of trade in , they said they can only offer auction value instead of the normal trade in. They offered 2,100 auction value, the guy apologized as he said it and stated that I should sell the car privately.

That color is not my cup of tea, but the rabbit should have better resale than the S, and possibly the SE in the future. I like the cornflower blue color personally.

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Car(s)
MK 6 GolfR
I think you made the right choice. Like all cars, our GTI's have a life span of trouble free driving. When that chapter ends then you enter into a period of fail and replace which is expensive and disruptive compared to the chapter of trouble free driving.

I was sentimental about my MKV so I ignored my own advice but my MKV is no longer my daily driver.

2.0T-GTI

VW in MadTown
Car(s)
2019 Rabbit Ed. GTI
Not a bad choice

What'd they tell you for trade in value for your GTI?

They told me around 3500ish, which isn't too terrible. KBB is around $4000-4250, so pretty understandable, considering they need to make a few hundy on flipping it.

I'm actually going to try Carmax, and if they can give me a bit more, might go that route. I'm debating if I pull off some aftermarket bits, but tbh not sure wtf I'd do with them. The dealer had no problem with my catless DP and APR tune. Thought that was impressive. I DO bring my car to them for all service though, so that probably helped.

Gonna be a little sad to see it go, only until I drive the new one. Had no idea how much more power they make with a tune, damn! I'll be WELL over my Stage 2+ power on the MKV with just a Stage 1 tune and no other mods.

Thanks everyone!

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
I'd pull the mods (if you have the stock parts) to sell off for a few extra bucks, since they're not adding any value.

But sounds like a good move, if you can do it
I don't think you'll regret it

2.0T-GTI

VW in MadTown
Car(s)
2019 Rabbit Ed. GTI
I'd pull the mods (if you have the stock parts) to sell off for a few extra bucks, since they're not adding any value.

But sounds like a good move, if you can do it
I don't think you'll regret it

There are definitely things I'll pull, but some might not be worth it. I know I shouldn't care, but if I pull the intake (which won't fit the mk7.5 anyway) then it wouldn't be fully tune-appropriate. Open fogs would be easy enough to pull and maybe sell. Not worth pulling the head unit that won't fit the mk7.5, sub wiring kit isn't worth the trouble, don't have the stock downpipe, GFB DV+ is kind of a pain to get at, especially considering it's like 10* here in WI right now, and I don't have a heated shop. No way in hell I'm going to pull the dogbone insert, nor would it be worth much used for 8 years either I imagine. Tune sticks with the VIN sadly.

But hey, I can pull the APR Mobile bluetooth dongle, that one is easy! haha!

crazylegs

Passed Driver's Ed
Unfortunately APR mobile does not support the new GTI, you can hold onto it and maybe a year or two they will support it. I have the APR mobile dongle as well, it will also be extremely funky when you put it into a new car. The tune is connected to the VIN and also the engine type. So if you bought another TSI you could transfer the tune as you hold the license for that engine type.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2.0T-GTI

VW in MadTown
Car(s)
2019 Rabbit Ed. GTI
Unfortunately APR mobile does not support the new GTI, you can hold onto it and maybe a year or two they will support it. I have the APR mobile dongle as well, it will also be extremely funky when you put it into a new car. The tune is connected to the VIN and also the engine type. So if you bought another TSI you could transfer the tune as you hold the license for that engine type.

Ah crap, didn't realize that. I will hang onto it, and cross my fingers I guess. I bought the Mobile years after the tune, didn't seem I needed to do anything special to make it work though... hmm.

Well, the '19 Rabbit Ed GTI has been secured, so things are rolling. Pretty stoked, but sad to see the MKV go. My salesman at the dealership actually gave me the number of a guy who may be interested in a private sale, so will touch base with him Monday. Hoping to ask $4k, considering the tune/mods, that seems more than fair.