GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

#2 Official APR Australia Tech Support and General Question Thread

funny

VCDS guru & soon Dad x2 !
Car(s)
Golf MkV GTI MY07
How are things in the US Dingah!
Hope the family back in Oz is treating the car well....

DRMAT

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Black Magic MkV Golf
the crap so-called premium fuel here in the USA which is 93 RON

Aren't their RON rating different to ours so 93 there = 98 here or something like that?

Hate using it but from Wiki:
Research Octane Number (RON)

The most common type of octane rating worldwide is the Research Octane Number (RON). RON is determined by running the fuel in a test engine with a variable compression ratio under controlled conditions, and comparing the results with those for mixtures of iso-octane and n-heptane.

Motor Octane Number (MON)

There is another type of octane rating, called Motor Octane Number (MON), or the aviation lean octane rating, which is a better measure of how the fuel behaves when under load as it is done at 900 rpm instead of the 600 rpm of the RON[2][3]. MON testing uses a similar test engine to that used in RON testing, but with a preheated fuel mixture, a higher engine speed, and variable ignition timing to further stress the fuel's knock resistance. Depending on the composition of the fuel, the MON of a modern gasoline will be about 8 to 10 points lower than the RON. Normally, fuel specifications require both a minimum RON and a minimum MON.[citation needed]

Anti-Knock Index (AKI)

In most countries, including all of those of Europe, and Australia, the "headline" octane rating shown on the pump is the RON - but in the United States, Canada, and some other countries, the headline number is the average of the RON and the MON, called the Anti-Knock Index (AKI). It may also sometimes be called the Road Octane Number (RdON), Pump Octane Number (PON), or (R+M)/2.

Difference between RON and AKI

Because of the 8 to 10 point difference noted above, the octane rating shown in the United States is 4 to 5 points lower than the rating shown elsewhere in the world for the same fuel.

robbyx

Passed Driver's Ed
Great discussion guys, this really makes me understand what this is all about =]

Well, this might be a dumb question but are the fuel cut issues a thing of the past? Any APR owners out there care to dispel my fears regarding this in the year 2009?

funny

Car(s)
Golf MkV GTI MY07
As mentioned, I don't think any of the tuners suffer from fuel cut anymore unless you have parts on the way out or faulty.

funky_chilli

Go Kart Champion
i like this new, helpful forum we've got here without all the bashing and insults. keep up the good work guys! :thumbsup:
and now i also understand a little bit more abt these chip things and tbh the 'better' fuel economy while going faster certainly sparks my interest a little :cool:

Dingah

Crusty Aviator
Car(s)
Audi SQ5
Agree and applaud all the above comments and debate.
I believe that the RONs are the same basis - it might explain the plethora of fat lazy engines in slack states of tune that predominate the market here - it appears to be the land of quantity rather than quality.
Hi Funny - all is well, Old Town Alexandria is delightful, the Program Office is unbelievable, and the little Jetta is acceptable. I too hope that the Golf twins are being cared for. I'll have a few bits and pieces to bring back for the GTi, HPA KW SHS + H&R small bars with the Huffs running 225/40/18 Conti 3s or PirelliP Zeros - no freight and a good dollar makes it a reasonable equation. Trouble is it's the new Macs, golf clubs, clothes and every other darn thing that I really don't need that's eating away at the purse. Might pm you on a few weeks to discuss purchasing VAGCOMM kit whilst here too.

Cheers,

Dingah

TimT

Go Kart Champion
and now i also understand a little bit more abt these chip things and tbh the 'better' fuel economy while going faster certainly sparks my interest a little :cool:

gotta be careful with how you word that. Better fuel economy yes so long as you dont go faster. If you drive on full boost you will use more fuel.

funky_chilli

Go Kart Champion
gotta be careful with how you word that. Better fuel economy yes so long as you dont go faster. If you drive on full boost you will use more fuel.

ok then, let's rephrase that to 'while having the ability/potential to go faster'. is that more accurate? :thumbsup:

DRMAT

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Black Magic MkV Golf
Well, this might be a dumb question but are the fuel cut issues a thing of the past? Any APR owners out there care to dispel my fears regarding this in the year 2009?

No problems with Stage 1 cars or most stage 2 cars since early-mid 07 when VW did their recall and changed software to increase the fuel pressure as fuel cuts were a problem even on stock cars, not just remapped cars. Now it sShouldn't be a problem unless you're really pushing high end stage 2 (CAI and TBE should be fine though) or have parts on the way out.

funkychilli said:
i like this new, helpful forum we've got here without all the bashing and insults. keep up the good work guys!

I know, i'm a little bit scared lol

robbyx

Passed Driver's Ed
No problems with Stage 1 cars or most stage 2 cars since early-mid 07 when VW did their recall and changed software to increase the fuel pressure as fuel cuts were a problem even on stock cars, not just remapped cars. Now it sShouldn't be a problem unless you're really pushing high end stage 2 (CAI and TBE should be fine though) or have parts on the way out.

See, that scares me =P

From all accounts my 2006 Jetta hasn't had a recall as yet....

It's got an upcoming service due. Anybody got any tips as to what I should get checked in particular if I intend to do some of these mods (ie. up to low end Stage 2)?

DRMAT

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Black Magic MkV Golf
If it was covered by the recall it will come up on their computer as soon as they plug it in. Fuel cut isn't a catastrophic problem so don't stress too much, all it is you're accelerating hard and then the engine cuts out for a second before it comes back once the load is reduced. If it's had the recall done it should have a silver sticker inside the drivers door on the lower A pillar.

Nothing in particular that needs to be checked but a good tip is don't say anything to your service centre about your intended mods!

funny

Car(s)
Golf MkV GTI MY07
No problems with Stage 1 cars or most stage 2 cars since early-mid 07 when VW did their recall and changed software to increase the fuel pressure

Any word on what they increased it to?
Did it get above 110bar? Or was it below 110bar to begin with?
I thought the recall was more hardware than software.

DRMAT

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Black Magic MkV Golf
The last recall was hardware for the low pressure fuel pump or something related. The first one was a software reflash only. Don't recall the numbers but for some reason i have in my head that is was 110bar and they went to 140bar?

This is the one for software:
Golf
Model Year 2006 - 2007
Campaign 24K6 - Engine control unit update

On vehicles with 2.0l TFSI engines of the affected chassis number ranges an assumed control unit fault is calculated because of a wrong algorithm in the engine control unit. The engine warning light indicates a fault although there is no defect in the engine control unit.

For safety reasons a check of your vehicle is necessary. The update of the control unit will take less than an hour. Check and update are, of course, free of charge to you.

I THINK this was the other one cos it didn't apply to my car so not 100% sure, Maverick will have it somewhere i'm sure:
Golf 2.0 TFSI or 4.2 FSI
Model Year 2006 - 2007
Campaign 24M5 - Low pressure fuel pressure sender

On Golf vehicles with 2.0l TFSI or 4.2l FSI engine of a limited production period the low pressure fuel pressure sender can fail. The failure is indicated by the engine warning light.

The check and repair are, of course, free of charge to you.

mencho73

To fast 4 you
Car(s)
mkv gti
what is Campaign 24K6?

Hi

So what is the meaning from campaign 24K6 cause my car has the EPC light on
and check engine and is giving me these codes:p0601/01537 and also my car
is loosing power on WOT here is my dyno chart the vw dealer hear can`t help me Iam desapointed cause they see that they need a cd rom to do this so Iam sitting here with no more options cars runs perfectly but at WOT begins the problem i pull on any car at first and second gear but afther that they pull on me
please help VW diagnosis told me about these Campaign thing:iono::iono::iono::iono:

Attachments

• dyno results.pdf
    385.5 KB · Views: 760