GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

VW R32 MKV is 95 RON okay?

gsrevo

Hi All,

I've tried searching the forums for this question but yeah no luck. The sticker inside the petrol cap shows 98/95 RON/ROZ. Does this mean it's okay to run 95 RON in a VW R32 MKV?

Thanks

macad

apple pixel pusher
Pretty sure that you should run RON 98 (the engine's tuned to take advantage of the higher octane) but reading the manual it doesn't say NOT to run 95.

Fifth gear did a program on this a couple of years ago, they found an engine that was designed to run a lower octane level didn't have any advantages running a higher octane - but I've always run BP Ultimate in our Euro cars mainly because I was told to by the dealer.

http://www.themotorreport.com.au/6915/the-real-mccoey-on-ron-research-octane-number

http://wn.com/5th_Gear__High_Octane_Fuels

mljchan

gti mkv fanatic
Car(s)
gti mk5
most guys will use 98, and will only use 95 out of desparation - like when the fuel tank is empty and the only service station around has only 95.i'm sure this has happened to quite a few of us.

Hyperspace

I've created an easy guide to the various petrol requirements of VAG vehicles. Simply find the wording that applies to your car and adhere to it.

Unleaded petrol 98/95 RON

Meaning: Use 98. You may use 95, but with reduced performance.

Unleaded petrol 95/91 RON

Meaning: Use 95. You may use 91, but with reduced performance.

Unleaded petrol min. 98 RON

Meaning: Use 98. You may use 95 only in emergencies.

Unleaded petrol min. 95 RON

Meaning: Use 95. You may use 91 only in emergencies.

And finally, ROZ is simply German for RON.

johno

Volkswagen Autoliebhaber
Car(s)
R32
Yes it can but would you run 95? I'd run 95 in an emergency but still add octane booster.

Hyperspace

Yes it can but would you run 95? I'd run 95 in an emergency but still add octane booster.

Of course you wouldn't - who buys an R32 only to put up with reduced power by using 95? But my point is that the R32 can run on 95 without mechanical damage, albeit with reduced power.

One must pay attention to the wording on the fuel flap. As per my previous post, if the word "minimum" is present, then you cannot use anything below that, unless in an emergency.

If there is a slash, e.g. "98/95", then you have a choice - you can use the lower of the two, albeit with reduced power.

Booba

Ready to race!
Not sure about the R32 but on my fuel cap label the 95 in in lowercase on the GTI. Seems to suggest that you should run 98 but 95 is ok if there is no other choice.

bazzle

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
MY08 R32 Silver 3dr
The mapping soon adjusts to compensate.

Actually in the Sun Car guide a few months back 'Smithy" stated that the 2 fuels are exactly the same in Vic. (After a refinery visit).

Baz

Hyperspace

Not sure about the R32 but on my fuel cap label the 95 in in lowercase on the GTI. Seems to suggest that you should run 98 but 95 is ok if there is no other choice.

Correct. You can use 95, but again, with reduced performance.

The mapping soon adjusts to compensate.

That's probably how it's able to run on 95.

Actually in the Sun Car guide a few months back 'Smithy" stated that the 2 fuels are exactly the same in Vic. (After a refinery visit).

Not exactly the most credible of sources, I must say.

manol

Professional Jerk
Car(s)
GTI 2.0 TFSI
After I saw a woman not only put in 7/11 fuel (who I dont think even have 98??) into a Maserati the other day.

I'm never buying a car from a woman. Ever.