GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Help plz! Previous owner installed a celox chip, how do I remove ASAP!

SAB

Hi, just found out that the previous owner of my 1.9L 2006 TDI was conned into buying a Celox tuning module:mad:. Its located in the engine bay under the left corner of the air filter and is connected to two cables which I'm led to believe are either the coolant temp sensors or the air temp sensors. Not knowing much about this, is it all right if I simply remove the chip(and destroy it!) and leave the cables exposed or do they have to be hooked up somewhere? :help:

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

DkN

Ready to race!
Lol, Celox. Unplug the two connectors that are connected to the unit and plug them into each other.

TDI_DSG

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Golf MK5
and then go get a proper tune !

i recently had my 2005 1.9 TDI tuned, and the difference is night and day.

Jason

SAB

Yea had been planning to get a Bluefin chip, but I wasnt sure whether it was a chip or a flash for my model n thats when I found teh celox...just hoping it hasnt done any permanent damage, last service nothing came up wrong so fingers crossed :s

TDI_DSG

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Golf MK5
i got the bluefin for mine, and it made a huge improvement.

im not getting any worse fuel economy either.

jason

SAB

Here's some pics of the celox 'chip' if your interested.

Attachments

• P1030309.JPG
    P1030309.JPG
    96.2 KB · Views: 1,151
  • P1030310.JPG
    P1030310.JPG
    94.3 KB · Views: 1,256
  • P1030311.JPG
    P1030311.JPG
    95.6 KB · Views: 1,140
  • P1030313.JPG
    P1030313.JPG
    88.8 KB · Views: 1,081

DkN

Ready to race!
Bluefin would be a good choice. I have a ChippedUK / Viezu tune and although I'm content with it now, I had a total of 6 maps emailed to me back and forth to correct issues with their tunes and it took quite a while before my map was PROPERLY tuned by someone who actually seemed to know what they're doing. Probably not worth the hassle.

Here's something of interest though, I've recently found Malone Tuning in the US who have had nothing but positive rave from everyone in terms of tune AND customer service, although I don't know of anyone who has tried them yet in Australia. Feel like taking the plunge for us? They have very reasonable pricing :wink:

SAB

Yea I also found Malone and was very tempted by the stage upgrades, only problem was trying to find anyone in aus who had done it haha:iono:

Also for the amount of time and modding costs it would take to fully stage by liaising with someone in the US, it kind of doesn't seem worth it for a 1.9l. Sure if i'd bought the 2.0l:)bellyroll:) then i would definitely consider Mal over Blue...anything to get closer to the magic 200bhp:drool:

DkN

Ready to race!
their stage 1 and 2 (which is probably more a stage 1+ with more fuel and hence more smoke) are just an ECU tune without any other upgrades and at $349 + the Alientech unit for $250 + postage which should be around $50 makes for $650 which is around the bluefin price range. And it seems like they would be quite willing to do an upgrade for you at a very good price in the future should you decide to mod your car. If I didn't buy my tune already, I would go with the Malone tune.. although I was never one afraid to try new things :biggrin:

SAB

Emailed Malone tuning, got back a pretty brief reply, which only answered the $$$ Q. Apparently the first stage is $349, but if you buy both stage one and two at the same time then stage two only costs $75....bit of a price drop there hahaha! so all up stage1 $349+stage2(sent by email O:) $75+ $50 for teh flashzilla programmer(rental) + p&h of flashzilla(here&back) =approx $475+p&h:eyebulge:

I asked if it would be possible to get all the stages in Aus, namely purf, and the response was ' it would not be a problem' but they didnt specify any of the costs for shipping and any Malone approved dealers for install. Overall im still a bit sceptical but the price tag is quite tempting, what I dont understand and sorry for my nooblyness but why are the torque gains so small when compared with other tunes? stage 2 malone tq:253hp:140, bluefin tq:305hp:143
ABT tq:305hp:130... do they assume that you will inevitably upgrade thru the stages? :frown:

DkN

Ready to race!
lol lb-ft vs Nm, beware. 252lb-ft = 341 Nm O.O

And it doesn't take a Malone dealer to install, the whole idea of using the flashzilla is to provide a self tuning plug and play OBDII unit, just like bluefin. There are no Malone Tuning dealers in Australia at all. They seem very reputable in the US, but if you're concerned about different climate conditions etc in Australia, your best bet is to invest in a VCDS (formerly VAG-COM) to log your results after tuning and send it back to Malone for review. I don't believe they will charge extra for that.

Last edited:

SAB

urghh...use teh metric system already usa!

Lol im not that much of a noob, I meant for the stages where its 'required' that you get a new turbo boost valve exhaust etc

DkN

Ready to race!
Lol what I mean is, the Malone tune is quoting figures in lb-ft while bluefin and ABT are quoting in Nm, which means Malone's tune is actually pushing 36Nm more torque than the others. I'm a little skeptical about that figure though, I'm not entirely sure if its possible to push that much more torque with the same HP output through purely a software tune - but I'm no tuning expert.

Unless you're dedicated to stick to your car for a long time, I don't think it's really worth it to go for anything higher than stage two. Your engine is not built to take much more without massive hardware upgrades, and past stage two for every HP you are looking to gain the cost will increase exponentially. If 140hp in a 1.9 is not enough for you, go buy a 2.0TDI :wink:

By the way the shipping is $19, from what they told me.

Last edited: