GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

*New Speed Camera Warning*

Spizo85

Ready to race!
Car(s)
VW MKV R32

Received this in an email so I thought i'd pass this on in case you're interested.

Just a heads up on a new speed camera system they are testing. It's a cylindrical pole about 2m high with 3 Perspex stripes on it (hidden cameras, one for each lane of the highway), and there's some matching sensors on the far side of the road in the gutter.

Please be aware that big brother is watching. When you see the stripes it means that there is a speed camera. The locations for these new cameras are listed below. The one in question is located at the bottom of a very steep hill. Of course it is illegal for a radar or mobile speed camera to be set up in these sort of positions but its ok if its fixed.

Melbourne's new super cameras location
Victoria Police and the Dept of Justice announce 30 non-fixed red light cameras around Melbourne will become fixed, digital and upgraded to catch speeding drivers. We reveal the locations:

Burke Rd & Prospect Hill Rd Camberwell VIC 3124

Springvale Rd & Maroondah Highway Service Ln Nunawading VIC 3131

Royal Parade & Cemetery Rd Carlton North VIC 3054

Canterbury Rd & Station St Box Hill South VIC 3128

Bell St & St Georges Rd Preston VIC 3072

Warrigal Hwy & N Rd Bentleigh East VIC 3166

Albert St & Gower St Preston VIC 3072

Williamstown Rd & Somerville Rd Yarraville VIC 3013

Warrigal Hwy & Centre Rd Oakleigh South VIC 3167

Ballarat Rd & Churchill Ave Maidstone VIC 3012

Spencer St & Dudley St West Melbourne VIC 3003

Hoddle St & Johnston St Abbotsford VIC 3067

Punt Rd & High St Windsor VIC 3181

Dandenong Rd & Clayton Rd Oakleigh East VIC 3168

Springvale Rd & Cheltenham Rd Keysborough VIC 3173

Mt Alexander Rd & Maribyrnong Rd Ascot Vale VIC 3032

Foster St & McCrae St Dandenong VIC 3175

Geelong Road & Droop Street Footscray

Sydney Rd & Harding St Coburg VIC 3058

Millers Rd & Blackshaws Rd Altona North VIC 3025

Geelong Rd & Geelong St Kingsville VIC 3012

Fitzroy St & Princes St St Kilda VIC 3182

Doncaster Rd & Wetherby Rd Doncaster VIC 3109

Barkly St & Carlisle St St Kilda VIC 3182

Warrigal Hwy & Batesford Rd Chadstone VIC 3145

Warrigal Hwy & Centre Dandenong Rd Cheltenham VIC 3192

Barkers Rd & Denmark St Hawthorn VIC 3122

Nicholson St & Elgin St Fitzroy VIC 3053

Smithfield Rd & Epsom Rd Kensington VIC 3031

Androo

lolwut... ??

Pharkus

Ninja
So three stripes means multi lane monitoring? (Gotta go install that plate switching mechanism to my car now!)

Can you stand in front making faces at it not knowing what they are?

I'm assuming the normal parameters for calibration apply to these (i.e +/- km's for calibration variance).

tooraktrash

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2008 Golf GTI
But does it record registration and then take a photo?

Maverick

Go Kart Champion
So three stripes means multi lane monitoring? (Gotta go install that plate switching mechanism to my car now!)

Can you stand in front making faces at it not knowing what they are?

I'm assuming the normal parameters for calibration apply to these (i.e +/- km's for calibration variance).

The stripes mean nothing, they might have three cameras or they might have one camera, one video and one infrared unit.

See the link I posted, there are sensors on the kerbing that can tell what the vehicle is (even the size of tyre), the speed it's doing, what lane it's in and all from two sensors.

"TIRTL consists of transmitter and receiver units on opposite sides of the carriageway and uses two parallel and two cross beams below axle height to measure and classify passing vehicles.

The system has a speed measurement accuracy with less than 1% error at up to 250km/hr and precisely measures the number of axles, axle separation, wheel width and the front to back wheel width ratio to classify vehicles."

http://www.ceos.com.au/pdfs/TIRTL-Brochure.pdf
http://www.ceos.com.au/pdfs/TIRTL-presentation.pdf
http://www.ceos.com.au/pdfs/TIRTLTechnicalOverview.pdf

DRMAT

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Black Magic MkV Golf
Old old news... that cam has been TESTING for more than a year now, even been vandalised once already (that was reported) and its no secret, it has been in the papers. There is only one of those cameras.

Just about all of the old wet film red light cameras will be replaced with the new digital speed/red light cameras at some point as the old ones aren't reliable, they didn't have enough to monitor all the sites cameras are installed at and they can't get parts to repair them any more... plus they can double dip with speeding now.

You can get a full list of ALL locations from the Justice Dept website.

You might notice around Melbourne similar devices to the pic Mav posted above like there is one on the Monash inbound and outbound near Warrigul road however without the camera part as they are just traffic counters.

ACT_GTI07

Go Kart Champion
Hmm and the national standard for speedometer accuracy is +/- 10%. Great... :mad:

Victoria sucks with how tight ass they are on speed. Why not give +/- 10% like other states.

Maverick

Go Kart Champion
Hmm and the national standard for speedometer accuracy is +/- 10%. Great... :mad:

Except it's not. ADR 18/03 replaced ADR 18/02 years ago which did have +/- 10%.

More information here.

Victoria sucks with how tight ass they are on speed. Why not give +/- 10% like other states.

You mean other states book you for 10kms under? Damn that's harsh. Or do you mean other states allow 10%? Because the other states do neither. You can be booked for 3 over in Queensland.

And if you want to claim that +/- 10% applies to your vehicle because of it's age you can argue it in court but you need to have your car tested to work out the exact discrepancy, you can't just show up and claim that you should get 10% leeway.