GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

***TIRES RUBBING ON GUARDS***

gstar

Ready to race!
Car(s)
MK5 R32
Hey Guys,
As some of you know, i am buying a second hand MKV R32 in a couple days but noticed a couple problems. I am getting the car for $40,000 drive away, 37,000kms, so its cheap. I have seen that some of the paint is coming off due to tires rubbing on the guards, made me realise, maybe the car has been thrashed around a track? any other signs i could look out for to see whether its seen track days or not?? and if it has been thrashed, is that so bad? im assuming R32's can take a bit of abuse. Im having second thoughts now, you guys reckon i should get it??

srgti

Rally Powered
Car(s)
GTi
If you are not really sure the best way is to get it checked with RACV with their used vehicle inspection. if i was unsure i would be contacting RACV straightaway

BU88A

Ready to race!
Hey mate, it's great that you asked such a question. TBH, it's very hard to say if it's in a good condition just by looking at the guards. My car is slightly lowered, and it scraps the guard if it corners a little too hard, and I've tracked my car once. Pretty much the same situation as your car, but, not too the extend of paint peeling off. I eventually rolled my guard. My point is, I think my car is in way better shape than a lot of R32s out there that are driven to Coles and back, because I wash, service on time, polish, wax, and I definitely DO NOT TRASH my car everyday besides rushing to work when I wake up late:). 2nd point is, if you're really that concerned, why not look at other r32 in the market, and I'm sure you can find one within the 40-45 mark with lower k's, and maybe less visible abuse?

James G

Spool makes me drool.
Car(s)
'06 CW GTI 3DR
Sounds like it's daily route probably just has some tyre scrubbage sections, quite easily done without trashing if you live in the 'burbs

Robby_jai

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Audi S3, AUDI Q5
hard to really determine if a car's been thrashed around the track or not..... because it comes down to how well the car is looked after by the owner....... some dead give away .. to check if the cars been thrashed within an inch of its life on the track AND on the asumption that it hasnt been well looked after and regularly serviced are...

1. Check the Blue Brake Calipers on the front. (the R32 driven really really hard..... develops a heck of a lot of heat at the front calipers and causes that sharp blue color to fade away to a very dull almost greyish/silvery/dull blue color)

2. Check the tyres and look at the conditions of the treadblocks specifically..... on tracks.... standard road tyres.. after a couple of good thrashes... tend to sometimes have chunks taken out of their treadblock.... - ASSUMING that the driver thrashed it really hard and havent changed tyres... (this is my experience with cars that i have seen on track days running standard sports tyres)

3. Check brake fluids.. something that is commonly over looked .... if the brake fluids are not a clear color.. but a murky dark color.. it indicates the brake fluids have boiled considerably as a result of generating some serious brake temps.... hence the murky gluggy color... - this check is pointless if the brake fluids are regularly flushed.... but its amazing how many ppl DONT change the fluids after each track session...

anyway these are tell tale signs.... not a 100% indicator..... but certainly with my own experience..... a good way to have an educated guess

Jig

Flow Motion
Trust your guts. You never go wrong...

G-rig

Go Kart Champion
Hard to say gstar, depends on the condition of the car overall and how it feels when you drove it. That's not a heck of a lot of km so it should be pretty fresh unless it has been on the track a lot. You could always ask the owner and do a search if ppl recognise the car. But they should be able to take a bit of a pounding as they are half made for the track.

Wouldn't hurt to check out a few others and drive them as well.

Trust your guts. You never go wrong...

The only way to never go wrong is to buy brand new, even then there are still warranty issues and annoyances/rattles.

gstar

Ready to race!
Car(s)
MK5 R32
Thanks alot for your help guys! i have decided to let that one go as i have my doubts, the salesperson was a bit shady too (well more than the usual one). Will have another one by the end of the week and will post pics soon.

Thanks again.