SYD - Winter Half Day Cruise - Camden

Show us ya date!

• Total voters

benough

Torque to me
Car(s)
Golf GT Sport
BAM!

Time for another cruise. I've put up a poll for dates but let's aim for 6 weeks time.

As the last one was like 500km long and the food at Camden Valley Inn is so good, I thought we should do the southwest route again.

Here's an updated version of the route.

ROUTE

The meeting point is a carpark. Don't get weirded out by the half built mosque in there. We've met there before with no hassles. This is the entrance as seen in StreetView. LINK (Sorry for the crap image but the google cars only did one side of the dual carriageway)

It can be a tad confusing coming off the motorways to the start point so here are some routes.

From the M7 - LINK

From the M5 - LINK

We will aim to leave by 9:00am or when everyone gets there.

Pics from previous runs.

Requirements:
  • Roadworthy car in good order - tyres and brakes especially
  • Check oil & fluids BEFORE arrival - top up if required
  • FULL tank of petrol BEFORE arrival - There is a Caltex around 200m away from the start point.
  • Check Tyre pressure - GTIs with OEM wheels can usually run 36-37psi front, 35-36psi rear
  • Use the bathroom BEFORE we leave - there aren't too many opportunities to stop...
Recommended to bring:
  • Walkie-talkie aka CB/UHF radio (FULLY charged), preferrably with hands-free operation (not necessarily VOX). It is useful not only for chit chat, but warning others of road debris, finding people when they get lost and is useful during overtaking.
  • GPS (fully charged or with in-car charger) - "just in case".
"The Rules"​

• Minimum 2 sec gap for concertina effect. Please keep a sensible distance from the car in front - this varies depending on speed. Most cars don't stop on a dime doing 80+kph. Don't forget that the driver in front has just as much to lose as the driver behind! Conversely don't leave too long a gap (e.g. >5-10 seconds in twisty areas) - the car ahead does provide some clue as to what's coming up!
  • "Look ahead" to see what is coming up. This and the 2 second rule will save your ass when someone comes to a dead stop mid blind corner!
  • No crossing centre line at all. The oncoming lane is not to be used for wide entries to get a better apex!
  • Care with overtaking - use dedicated overtaking lanes where possible. Please ensure there is plenty of room for safety. Please exercise caution if the road surface happens to be loose. Please leave a decent gap to the car behind before merging back in. Be courteous! No one likes a gravel shower at 80+kph.
  • Be aware of your speed. It will be rare for cars to reach the limit in the twistier sections of the roads we are travelling. No one likes a speeding ticket...
  • Practice correct corner set up including braking & changing gears before corner - not during corner. Heavy braking mid corner is a recipe for hitting the wall, speaking of which...
  • Limit trail braking through the corner. Please wash off your speed before the corner NOT in it. This is especially important for the DOWNHILL tight turns/hairpins - you don't want to be ploughing into the next lane at full lock whacking into oncoming traffic because you carried too much speed.
  • Parking to be legal unless for photoshoot (for short duration).
  • Make sure your car is road worthy!!
  • It's strongly recommended you leave ESP on.
  • New GTG drivers - reread and follow all of the above. There are varying levels of experience within the group. Everyone wants to have a fun and safe day - so don't push your car too hard too early. DON'T NECESSARILY FOLLOW WHAT THE CAR IN FRONT DOES BLINDLY. There may be many modified cars present, many which handle far better than stock cars in some circumstances. You might not know that the car up ahead is tricked up...
The is the list of people attending.

benough (Ben)
Johno (The Marrickville Meataxe)

Last edited:

mljchan

gti mkv fanatic
Car(s)
gti mk5
The last drive was lots of fun.I'm keen, but can't commit yet.

isyoucrazy

Passed Driver's Ed
I torn my right knee ligaments about 2 weeks ago.. out for at least another 4-6 weeks... So i'll have to see how i heal up before i can commit

M4RK0

Ready to race!
Car(s)
GTI - MK6
Sweet Marko.

I've seen you going to opposite direction on the M4 a few mornings now.

Your HID fogs and bright orange BLUM sticker give you away ;-)

Thanks Bro!! :thumbsup:

Thursdays commonly when I drive my missus to work, I have to fly back to Hoxton Park, :burnrubber:

See you soon!!

funny

VCDS guru & soon Dad x2 !
Car(s)
Golf MkV GTI MY07
Only sat i can do so far is 13th.
Not yet confirmed for that, may have to work.

johno

Volkswagen Autoliebhaber
Car(s)
R32
just pick a date ben coz i need to lock it in now for rostering purposes. i'm available any of the dates...earlier the better. we could even celebrate my brithday as it falls on the 10th.

mljchan

gti mkv fanatic
Car(s)
gti mk5
Sundays are always better for me.But you'll probably find that some of the guys won't go on the cruise organised by vwgolf.net .