GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Ipod in Centre Armrest not Working!!!

09WHTGTI

VW Afficiando
Car(s)
2009 VW GTI
Probably is.
If you connect an iPod and attempt to select it by hitting CD once / then twice,
and you don't get the Ipod, something is amiss.
Could be head unit programming, but not likely.
Could be a fault in the harness connecting the dock to the head unit.
If it is under warranty, let the dealer sort it out.
If it is not, do you have access to a VAG-COM or equivalent
to read the head unit for faults and / or update settings?
After that, prepare to start pulling parts to inspect for problems.
The dock is easy. The head unit not so much.

I have a different head unit with the same iPod dock.

My head unit has a setting to activate
the CD changer - which is the iPod dock connection.
Possibly yours has a similar setting that needs to be activated?

example of CD changer setting in a different head unit - last setting - Radio Configuration II - activates external CD changer input

This guy right here is NOT afraid of parking meters whatsoever! :thumbsup:

reuben_lia

I have a similar problrm with my ipod dock in my golf mk5. I manage to get the ipod working from under the centre armrest but it keeps disconnecting after some time ( couple of minutes or even after seconds i start driving) and this is very annoying. Does anyone know what is causing this? it has bren like this since the day i got it fron the dealer.

JetTurbo

geezer
Car(s)
2018 GTi Autobahn 6M
I have a similar problrm with my ipod dock in my golf mk5. I manage to get the ipod working from under the centre armrest but it keeps disconnecting after some time ( couple of minutes or even after seconds i start driving) and this is very annoying. Does anyone know what is causing this? it has bren like this since the day i got it fron the dealer.

I wish I could identify the cause.
Mine worked without any problem for about four years with an iPod Classic.
Then one day I plugged an iPhone into it and this intermittent connection issue started.
BTW My sisters mk5 dock started doing this and the dealer replaced the dock under warranty,
which did cure the problem.

I have completely disassembled the dock and kind find no obvious cause.
I expected to find damage around the connector, but if there is,
a part broke away very cleanly, as i can not identify anything like that.

If I could find a source for the connector already soldered to that board shown above,
I would gladly replace that component, as I do suspect that is my issue.

I can no longer maintain a good connection by plugging the iPod Classic directly in the dock,
normal movement from driving causes the iPod mass to create movement on the connection and it goes away.
I am able to keep mine working by using a 32 pin extension cable
to minimize the impact of movement on the dock connection.
I still need to fiddle with the cable's connector position in the dock from time to time,
biut for the most part it holds up.
I am able to fit the iPod Classic or iPhone 4s in the pin with the cable
while it is in use.

I really do not have any good pics of the cable in use, best I have is this ...

Voltan

Getting a I Phone 6 to work in the central console

Hi All

This is my 1st post here :) i am currently unable to do new threads for some reason so i thought i would ask here.

i have tried to conect my i phone 6s to the central i phone port using a basic i phone to female 30 pin conector and for some reason my cd player does not pick up my i phone when i play music? any help would be hugely apreciated :) x . please see below to a similar post

https://www.golfmkv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=136093

JetTurbo

geezer
Car(s)
2018 GTi Autobahn 6M
Hi All

This is my 1st post here :) i am currently unable to do new threads for some reason so i thought i would ask here.

i have tried to conect my i phone 6s to the central i phone port using a basic i phone to female 30 pin conector and for some reason my cd player does not pick up my i phone when i play music? any help would be hugely apreciated :) x . please see below to a similar post

https://www.golfmkv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=136093

Most likely the issue is with the "...basic i phone to female 30 pin conector...".
Some of those adaptors only pass through power and data (aka USB audio) but do not pass through the analog audio or analog video signals. An adaptor that passes through analog audio is required. If the adaptor is referred to as a "charging adaptor" that is pretty much a dead giveaway it will not pass through analog audio. On Amazon, a lot of those adaptors are even marked "no audio".
A good choice is the one made by Apple (now discontinued, but still found on Amazon) - Apple Lightning to 30-Pin Adapter although that adaptor will NOT fit directly in the dock. i had to use a 30 pin extension cable (again, not all extension cables support analog audio) to make one work.

bon qui qui

Go Kart Champion
Most likely the issue is with the "...basic i phone to female 30 pin conector...".
Some of those adaptors only pass through power and data (aka USB audio) but do not pass through the analog audio or analog video signals. An adaptor that passes through analog audio is required. If the adaptor is referred to as a "charging adaptor" that is pretty much a dead giveaway it will not pass through analog audio. On Amazon, a lot of those adaptors are even marked "no audio".
A good choice is the one made by Apple (now discontinued, but still found on Amazon) - Apple Lightning to 30-Pin Adapter although that adaptor will NOT fit directly in the dock. i had to use a 30 pin extension cable (again, not all extension cables support analog audio) to make one work.

I'm glad to see that you're still around. I swear you're one of the most knowledgeable people on here when it comes to MKV electronics. While we're on the subject of the 30pin dock, any ideas what the best way to get rid of it and make it useful is? Either make it bluetooth capable or swap it for an Aux jack?