GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Looking for a place to stay in japan for about 3 months

PinoyMark

Sushi Chef
Car(s)
06 GTI
ill be attending tokyo sushi academy in shinjuku and a few workshops in restaurants in the tokyo area, in 2013 or 14, in the spring or summer

im looking for a place to stay while in japan for around 3 months (90 days is how long i can stay with a regular visa right?) preferably i want to keep my costs down so im hoping if anyone will be willing to take me in?

or if anyone can help me look for a reasonable place to stay (preferably in shinjuku, yoyogi, harajuku, or northern shibuya area)

ive been looking at gust house websites like sakura house, but im sure theres plenty of places not listed on those kinds of sites.

GodSquadMandrake

Radioactive Rotary Rocket
No room here but I highly recommend those guest house sites like Sakura house and oakhouse. It's hard to find a cheap place to stay but if you look hard enough you should be able to find something for around 39,000 yen per month. They run special deals sometimes. I spent my first month here in Oakhouse yokohama for 38,000 yen. It's pretty far from the area you're talking about though. That's expensive there. Really expensive. It's like living in an airport because the exchange rates have dropped 40%. The whole place used to be ok but now I can't afford to do anything. It's like $25 for a steak from the grocery store and one single onion is $1.20. It adds up quick. Good luck!

PinoyMark

Sushi Chef
Car(s)
06 GTI
yeah ive been looking at sakura house and i found some ok prices for shared guesthouses but im kind of unconfortable sharing with other people especially because ill be bringing a good amount of photography equipment (photography is a big hobby of mine), and my knife set and equipment. im VERY protective of my knves considering that there all handmade and go for 200$+ each. im looking at apartments but theyre like 900$ for an entire apartment the size of my bedroom : /

if my japanese was more proficient and if i had a bit more money id go to the full year culinary school in osaka, where the rent is around half of that of tokyo : /

GodSquadMandrake

Radioactive Rotary Rocket
Where I stayed in Oakhouse I had a private room with a locking door. That's why I thought it was pretty nice. Anything with privacy is luxury as far as I am concerned. Heck most married men in the world can't even get that no matter how much they spend heh.

In general when there are more foreigners around, things get stolen. So I was warned about that at Oakhouse, but I never had a problem. So you're smart to be careful about that and not take the "Japan is very safe" idea too seriously. Roppongi, Tokyo is particularly dangerous especially for foreigners. The Nigerian mafia operates there under the Yakuza. It's quite strange because normally Yakuza never mess with foreigners good or bad. So I don't know why they are doing business with the Nigerians, but they are. The Japanese government has been investigating it for years and they are involved in everything from human trafficking to drugs, even stealing organs. They get the Nigerians to do their really dirty work. And Roppongi is known as a place where foreigners go out at. So the guy's with the Nigerians accents aren't there just by coincidence, they are gangsters and the only way they came is because Yakuza sponsored their visa. Stay as far away from that place as you can. I just talked to a guy yesterday who said he woke up on the streets of Roppongi missing his wallet and his cell phone. It's just bad news almost every time. There's plenty of good times in Japan, just resist the temptation to go to Roppongi. It's so easy though because they try to lure in foreigners.