GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

The Golfmk OFF-TOPIC chat (Part 11)

avenali312

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
Say I were theoretically picking up some new-to-me used wheels tomorrow and will be transferring my tires onto them, should I remove the wheel weights myself before going in for the mount and balance so I can get all of the adhesive off better than the tire shop would? They're going to remove the weights anyway, right?

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
Say I were theoretically picking up some new-to-me used wheels tomorrow and will be transferring my tires onto them, should I remove the wheel weights myself before going in for the mount and balance so I can get all of the adhesive off better than the tire shop would? They're going to remove the weights anyway, right?

That's what I do...have them all clean

When they remove the weights, they still leave the adhesive/residue and what not. And if they have to put weight there, they just stack it on top (if they're lazy as usual).
Best to have a clean surface IMO

avenali312

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
That's what I do...have them all clean

When they remove the weights, they still leave the adhesive/residue and what not. And if they have to put weight there, they just stack it on top (if they're lazy as usual).
Best to have a clean surface IMO

Thanks, I think that's the plan. I'm having the old tires dismounted today, I'll clean them all up, and then they get mounted on Wednesday. Real excited to ditch these Austins and not look like every other MK7 on the road.

avenali312

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
Need to find some center caps, but feeling it so far. Second photo provided by Eurofed - Atlanta's Facebook page. While they were posting about the Liberty Walk 458 in the foreground, I did sneak in there haha.

Last edited:

avenali312

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
Those wheels look so much better than those gd Austins :barf:

This x 1,000,000. Couldn't agree more. Want to buy a second set of Austins? hahaha

Speaking of center caps, anyone have luck getting a smaller cap to fit and not fall out? I was thinking about wrapping some electrical tape or something around my Austins center caps and shoving them in the Lagunas. I prefer the Austins center cap, but they're probably a few millimeters too small and just plop out.

avenali312

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI