GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV


  VW GTI Forum / VW Rabbit Forum / VW R32 Forum / VW Golf Forum - Golfmkv.com


 
Register
MYGOLF garage
Timeslips
Search
Members List
Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read



Go Back   VW GTI Forum / VW Rabbit Forum / VW R32 Forum / VW Golf Forum - Golfmkv.com > Technical Discussions > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust



Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 07-09-2019, 09:54 AM   #1
Jnovoa28
Ready to race!
 
Drives:
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 19
Mystery Oil Leak Passenger Side... Help..

I have this oil leak that leaks all over the passenger bottom side of the motor. Oil will be on intercooler piping, passenger side part of oil pan(not drivers side). Changed out oil return line because it was kinked thinking that was the issue & it still leaks. Oil is visible all the way to the control arm. Camshaft seal was replaced.

Any idea where it can be coming from anyone?





Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jnovoa28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2019, 10:14 PM   #2
Rotibajan
Passed Driver's Ed
 
Drives: 2007 MKV
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: Miami
Posts: 7
Value cover gasket rear possibly.

Sent from my LGMP260 using Tapatalk
Rotibajan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2019, 10:15 PM   #3
Rotibajan
Passed Driver's Ed
 
Drives: 2007 MKV
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: Miami
Posts: 7
How many miles?

Sent from my LGMP260 using Tapatalk
Rotibajan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2019, 11:08 PM   #4
Jnovoa28
Ready to race!
 
Drives:
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 19
The motor just got a rebuilt head and new timing belt and tensioner about 2-3k miles ago. It currently has 147k miles on it.

Just replaced the oil pan gasket. Can you explain how a valve cover gasket will leak all the way down ?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jnovoa28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 02:52 AM   #5
Messy
Newbie
 
Drives: Mk6 gti
Join Date: Jul 2019
Location: Seattle
Posts: 1
Throw any p0299 codes? I had to replace my turbo muffler o ring after doing the timing chain tensioner. Maybe the pressed o-ring on the lower timing chain cover?
Messy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 08:59 AM   #6
Jnovoa28
Ready to race!
 
Drives:
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Messy View Post
Throw any p0299 codes? I had to replace my turbo muffler o ring after doing the timing chain tensioner. Maybe the pressed o-ring on the lower timing chain cover?


I have not thrown any p0299 codes, I have thrown a p0011 & p2293 code. The pressed o-ring is the crankshaft seal I was talking about that I replaced as well.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jnovoa28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 01:49 PM   #7
707Stang
I'm Hella From Nor*Cal
 
707Stang's Avatar
 
Drives: 08 .:R32, 69 Mustang 5.0
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Nor*Cal
Posts: 1,337
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jnovoa28 View Post

Just replaced the oil pan gasket. Can you explain how a valve cover gasket will leak all the way down ?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

At the risk of sounding like a smart ass. Gravity.

With oil leaks i have found its best to look up from where you have oil to where there isnít and work your way to the leak. For example, if you have oil all down the back (firewall side) of the engine I would look to see where itís wet and look up from there to find the leak, some folks may have different opinions but thatís what Iíve done in the past and itís been successful. Other folks may chime in to see whatís worked for them.

Oh I almost forgot. Clean the area 1st before trying to diagnose these issues.




Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
__________________
AWE-Forge-GIAC-Neuspeed-ECS-Eibach-EBC.... 220whp-250wtq §§no more§§
#4982 CW .:R32- stock- -
707Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 02:01 PM   #8
Jnovoa28
Ready to race!
 
Drives:
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by 707Stang View Post
At the risk of sounding like a smart ass. Gravity.

With oil leaks i have found its best to look up from where you have oil to where there isnít and work your way to the leak. For example, if you have oil all down the back (firewall side) of the engine I would look to see where itís wet and look up from there to find the leak, some folks may have different opinions but thatís what Iíve done in the past and itís been successful. Other folks may chime in to see whatís worked for them.

Oh I almost forgot. Clean the area 1st before trying to diagnose these issues.




Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Changed the valve cover gasket, since itís a cheap easy fix. Will keep updating if it continues to leak. There was oil in the back of valve cover. So hopefully that was the leak



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jnovoa28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 04:33 PM   #9
golfballer78
FIA GT Newbie
 
golfballer78's Avatar
 
Drives: 08'.:R32
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: southbay CA.
Posts: 744
Surprised no one brought up crank seal?
golfballer78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 04:48 PM   #10
Jnovoa28
Ready to race!
 
Drives:
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfballer78 View Post
Surprised no one brought up crank seal?


Thatís what I meant before, I accidentally wrote camshaft seal but itís the crankshaft seal


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jnovoa28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 10:46 AM   #11
golfballer78
FIA GT Newbie
 
golfballer78's Avatar
 
Drives: 08'.:R32
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: southbay CA.
Posts: 744
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jnovoa28 View Post
Thatís what I meant before, I accidentally wrote camshaft seal but itís the crankshaft seal


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Well, the timing components come off for that.
golfballer78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 10:59 AM   #12
Jnovoa28
Ready to race!
 
Drives:
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfballer78 View Post
Well, the timing components come off for that.


Yes I am aware, they took it apart and there were no signs of it leaking from there. They changed it anyways just because they were there already.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jnovoa28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 04:15 PM   #13
golfballer78
FIA GT Newbie
 
golfballer78's Avatar
 
Drives: 08'.:R32
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: southbay CA.
Posts: 744
Did they ever add dye to the oil? Might help find it. When I had fsi remember the oil return line from the turbo leaked at the block gasket.
golfballer78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 05:06 PM   #14
Jnovoa28
Ready to race!
 
Drives:
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfballer78 View Post
Did they ever add dye to the oil? Might help find it. When I had fsi remember the oil return line from the turbo leaked at the block gasket.


Iím actually going to do that today, hopefully can source down the leak & I replaced the oil return line with gasket


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jnovoa28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 09:38 PM   #15
Royson345
Go Kart Champion
 
Drives: 2008 GTI
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 40
Oil filter or cooler housing? Mine had oil in all those areas and doing both those seals sorted it out.
Royson345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 09:51 PM   #16
Jnovoa28
Ready to race!
 
Drives:
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Royson345 View Post
Oil filter or cooler housing? Mine had oil in all those areas and doing both those seals sorted it out.


The oil leak seems to be coming from the back of the motor, I dropped it off at the mechanics today because I had no idea where it could be coming from


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jnovoa28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:44 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.