GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Fuel pump fuse keeps blowing

sacman

Ready to race!
I tested my fuel relay with a new one and it still blowing as soon as I start the car. Could it be the in-tank fuel pump? Everything is original and the car as 200Kmiles. I am the original owner but the fuel filters were regularly maintained. I know something is shorting the circuit but I have no idea which pump the fuse is for. Any tip or advice are really appreciated.

GTI's

Drag Racing Champion
Year of this GTI and what fuse are you blowing, location and number?? What fuel relay??

GTI's

Drag Racing Champion
2008, fuse sc27/f27 15A transfer fuel pump

Thank you for info, may want to pull connector at fuel pump G6 and the lpfp module from main harness separating the individual components . Turn on ignition with everything disconnected does fuse blow, if not turn ignition off connect Lpfp module and then turn igniton on does it blow if not then connect G6 with ignition off and then turn on does it blow.

If you had Vcds I would run scan and see what it points you to look at.

Cjpolokid

Ready to race!
You have a short somewhere in the fuel pump circuit. Fuse only blow when amps in the circuit is higher than what it supposed to be.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sacman

Ready to race!
So this morning, I did some experiment. When I unplugged the in-tank fuel pump, the fuse didn't blow so it was obvious that the fuel pump is drawing too much current so I replaced the pump with a brand new unit from ECS. Installation was easy and smooth. As soon as I connected everything, the fuse blew again. So I unplug the connector/dongle to the fuel pump and tried again, it still blew the fuse. I'm down to the dongle that is between the fuel pump and the main wiring. The part is 1K0906093f. Had anyone ever had to replace this? I looked at one of the electrical wiring diagram for mk5 golf and there's nothing that shares this wiring. I'm down to 1 last solution but google search couldn't find any info on anyone ever had to replace this. Any help would do at this point.

GTI's

Drag Racing Champion
DId you not replace the lpfp module when you stated "I tested my fuel relay with a new one and it still blowing". What year is this GTI?

sacman

Ready to race!
DId you not replace the lpfp module when you stated "I tested my fuel relay with a new one and it still blowing". What year is this GTI?

I did not test the new lpfp with a new relay. This is 2008 GTI. This just eliminates that the lpfp being the culprit.

GTI's

Drag Racing Champion
So what was this relay that you checked??

Check you PM for Wiring diagrams for FSI not sure you have FSI seeing that you did not state if Fsi or Tsi for a 2008 GTI.

Did you unplug the lpfp control module from body harness and see if fuse still blows when switched on? May need to check the red/yellow wire for Fuse 27 for short before it get to the Lpfp module

sacman

Ready to race!
A little update on my problem for future reference. It was the Fuel Pump Module that caused the short and blew the fuse pump fuse. When I removed it to replace the lpfp I noticed a little sticky residue but paid no attention thinking it was just something that leaked through the seat. I ordered one from Deutsche Auto Parts and everything ok. I could have avoided replacing the lpfp ($100) but I never expect the dongle could have electronics that fail and short the wiring. This video could have save me a the headache. https://www.shopdap.com/blog/post/2-0t-tsi-vw-and-audi-fuel-pump-control-module.html

Thanks for the help from the forum.

QN

zrickety

The Fixer
Car(s)
VW GTI
Thanks for posting this. I had read of the fuel pump module before. My friend has the 2009 GTI and it suddenly won't start after running fine. I suspect this module.